PDA

View Full Version : Your 502 hop up tips?

harbormaster
12-25-2003, 12:51 PM
If you had a stock 502 on the garage floor that needed rebuilding, what would you do to increase the power output while maintaining reliability and longevity?
Lets not talk about Super chargers OK?

I would like to hear from those with experience with this....

Rootsy
12-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Scot,

Carb or Injected?

Root - Naturally Aspirated wink

appending...

1. budget

2. desired power numbers

3. intended usage

4. how radical do you really want to get?

5. gasoline requirements (octane)

6. limitations on hatch clearance

7. roller of flat tappet motor?

8. sterndrive system

8. BUDGET...

smoothie
12-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Cash or credit card :p

Get Dennis Moore's BIG-BLOCK CHEVY performance book,it goes over pretty much everything,plus some mods for max performance,I'll send ya my copy if you would like to read it,BTW which 502 do you have?

33 Daytona
12-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Paint it Blue! It worked for me

fasttrucker
12-27-2003, 01:09 PM
1st thing is the block,send it to a machine shop along with the heads.Block Resurfacing(correct deck)Cylinder Head Surfacing.Machine for valve seals.Install cam bearings.C+P crank.Valve job.New timing chain.Then add the hp500 cam from crane.buy performance push rods,keepers,ect.I bought a package deal from teaque marine.If you keep it fuel inj. then you have to send out the computer for reprograming,I used A.Z. speed+marine when I changed my exhaust system.(I used stainless marine performance exhaust)If you go carb then you need to add a intake manifold,dist-coil.Make sure fuel line is large enough to supply the fuel to the holly double pumper.Finally exhaust tail pipes must go thru transom in order not get water reversion from the cam.Cost for me was$4463 for the 1st time upgrades(exhaust+ comp).$587 for machine shop.$1100 for cam package deal at teaque.$5665 for the new set up.I had a lot of other issues which added to these bills being a little higher.I know you can buy a ready to go package from lots of different sources.Good luck I spend much more then I wanted to for 10mph.

sparepartz
12-27-2003, 09:32 PM
First off balance rotating assy. This will make the eng much smoother. Also a set of Dart square port heads with matching intake and a cam upgrade (hp 500) would get the air flowing. A good header system would be needed. and then nitrous JUST KIDDING!!