PDA

View Full Version : It's Hard To Look Cool When...

Schnook
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
You take relatives visiting from Wisconsin out for first trip of the year so you can show off your new boat. As you back in to a slip, you hit the throttle instead of the shifter. You realize this and back off the throttle fast. Unfortunately, this kills the engine. :bawling: Probably not a more helpless feeling than knowing that the dock is not going get out of the way. Fortunately, there wasn't any damage to my 'friends' boat, just his ego, but he can now cross this off his list of bonehead things to do at the dock. :mad: :cussball: I'm sure he'll be more careful next time. Of course, there was the obligatory rental pontoon full of witnesses to laugh...

The Hedgehog
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
when the inlaws from Nebraska are amazed how you can keep composure all day long doing docking moves in different currents and winds in a single engine 28 foot boat. Then you knock back a few at the end of the day, forget to put the drive in trailer mode when loading the boat and end up strategically removing part of your skeg!

My other favorite move is to engage the dry dock pump without releasing the relief valve and attempt to fry the electric engine while talking to the dock committee! You kind of get a dumb feeling after a couple of minutes and the boat does not move. I have learned to rectify that situation without many folks catching on.

tmdog
03-16-2006, 04:17 PM
We all have made stupid mistakes, but you learn from experience. I've did the forget the plug thing and others. BUT,Sheet like that only happened once. It's part of being a good boater. You might say self taught. Remember "Murphy".:smash:

techspecial
03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Spending the day on a sand bar full of bikinis talking about how cool your boat is. Pulling away (with the drive just below the surface) put-putting to the deeper water. Finally seeing 5 feet on the depth sounder. Really putting the hammer to it but forgetting to put the drive back down. The really cool sound of the prop cavitating at about 8K RPM and shooting a rooster tail about 10 feet in the air. Now your talkin' good times!!!

joseph m. hahnl
03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
It's hard to look cool: when your going 60Mph and you here a bang:eek: . The boat falls off plane and the motor isn't firing on all 8 cylinders :confused: . You open up the hatch and steam start billowing out. You look down and everthing is drenched from the popped exhaust manifold hose:kaioken: . Next your flagging down the boat load of pontooners for a tow:wavey: .

joe

The Hedgehog
03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Spending the day on a sand bar full of bikinis talking about how cool your boat is. Pulling away (with the drive just below the surface) put-putting to the deeper water. Finally seeing 5 feet on the depth sounder. Really putting the hammer to it but forgetting to put the drive back down. The really cool sound of the prop cavitating at about 8K RPM and shooting a rooster tail about 10 feet in the air. Now your talkin' good times!!!

Oh hell yes! That is good stuff!

zimm17
03-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Or when the trailer is too far into the water so you pull the truck up a couple of feet with the boat still attached to the loose winch strap- when you hit the brakes, the boat slingshots into the trailer and puts a few more beauty marks in the bow...

Silver Bullet
03-17-2006, 01:23 PM
It's hard to look cool when you are going down I-45 in the middle of downtown Houston and the boat decides to separate itself from the truck at 55mph. God Bless the Man that invented that little wire thing on the trailer that applies pressure to the brakes when it is free from the ball.

I wish I had some reason to say the bumper or the trailer malfunctioed but it was the idiot that was in such a hurry to get to the lake that forgot to latch the trailer. By the way that was my second time to take the new boat out last summer. I bronzed my under wear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bawling:

Sorry Donzi GODS

joel3078
03-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Mine was falling off the back of the boat while taking a beer whizz. Vary hard to swim when the pants are down a bit. Oh ya, my buddy saise, what do you do for an encore, **** your pants and then helps me back into the boat.

Boat launch in the spring time on a weekend is always good humor and free entertainment. Remember to bring a lawn chair, and something to drink/eat. Within 1 hour you will laugh. My fav so far is a guy slingshot launching his pontoon boat. The wife forgot to hold onto the leash/robe, the guy forgot to put truck in park, and the guy's kids are laughing cause their parents look like something on Comedy Central. For act II, a bunch of dolts with 3/4 ton and dually trucks try and tow the poor guys pickup truck with trailer still attached, out of the water. Pickup is in the water up to the driver cab by the way. Problem is, nobody has a strong enough tow strap to do the job so ropes are popping left and right. Finally I get sick of waiting in line, disconnect my trailer/boat and pull the poor guy out with a real tow strap and then later on, give the guy a ride out to his pontoon which is now about 500 yards out with the wind blowing it further and further away. To top all this off, the guy shows up at my office monday morning, with a brand new tow strap to replace mine. His reason, mine got dirty and wet pulling him out so he thought he should replace it.

McGary911
03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
How about after a long day on the ocean, you decide to do a few high speed passes in your home river....since it's only about a foot of chop. People on the park bulkhead cheering for you...engine sounding soooo...good. Then, you run out of gas. Buddy in the big boat who we are out with, comes over to offer me a tow, but insists on towing me by all the people at the park, the fishing fleet, guys fishing from the bulkhead, etc...all lauthing :o And there's me sitting on the bow of my gasless boat, smiling, waving, and cracking open a corona.....Ah, that was still fun. :rlol:

joseph m. hahnl
03-18-2006, 10:01 AM
The truck in the water reminds of a guy: He forgets to put the plug in and his boat is sinking .he didnt relize until he got back to the launch because he was always moving.The boat never filled up until he stopped. So theres five people waiting in line to launch including my self. So we all let him go first. by this time the evinrude is practically submerge and is being held up by the bottom. He finally gets the boat on the trailer and goes to pull out and the the trailer pops of the ball. the chains sling shot it right into the tail gate >"NICE DENT" He did this twice. At about this time I decided to lend my assistence. I look at the problem and the guy was running a 1 7/8 ball on a 2" trailer tung. I got out the adjustable and tightend the nut on the tung and away it went. about 3 min later i was launched and enjoying a laugh and a great day of fishing.

joe

zimm17
03-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Here's the topper:

Several years ago, my dad sold our 18' mark twain boat to his little sister and got our '69 7 meter donzi. He spent all day doing a complete tuneup, and re-did all the wheel bearings on the trailer before giving it to her.

The next day we hook it up to her '73 Caddy fleetwood and head down to the local ramp to a boat ride. On the long downhill road to the ramp we hear this scrapping sound and a tire passes us bouncing down the hill and dissapears into the woods. We look back and the boat is listing hard to port! We pull over and find that both left trailer wheels are missing. Someone forgot to tighten the lugnuts after a few too many Budweisers the day before.:eek:

So we unhook the tailer on the side of the road and head off in search of the wheels. Dad stayed with the boat by himself. You can imaging the sight on the side of the road. A few minutes later a truck pulls up, the driver looks over a few a few seconds, then offers, "Looks like you could use a beer!".

Dad's never lived that down. "Did you check the lugnuts?" still comes out every boat ride for the next 15 years.