PDA

View Full Version : GPS speedos- Where do you mount the antenna?

Bob
03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
All the gauge threads has me thinking of a new GPS speedometer. Where have members had success mounting the antenna?
I really don't want to clutter up the dash or deck. Can it be mounted underneath the deck? Do you have to keep it away from metal parts?
Where are they mounted on the new Donzis?:confused:

DonCig
03-15-2006, 05:54 PM
I mounted mine underneath the deck, about 18" in front of the dash.
I used 3M 4200 quick dry, and I used duct take to hold it in place while the 4200 dried. It worked great. I once used 3M 5200, I will never use that product again for the rest of my life. When they say permanent, they mean it. I had a receiver puck go bad and I had to remove it and the 5200.

Don

MOP
03-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Don mounted mine in the same place but used the L bracket for rail mounting and SM screws, two seasons so far no probs.

Phil

Bob
03-15-2006, 06:38 PM
So.... Don mounted his upside down under the deck. That would be my preferred location. No More Holes in the boat!!!

MOP-you lost me on the L bracket?

Should you test the location first or assume good to go?

MOP
03-15-2006, 08:19 PM
So.... Don mounted his upside down under the deck. That would be my preferred location. No More Holes in the boat!!!
MOP-you lost me on the L bracket?
Should you test the location first or assume good to go?

There is a S/S rail mounting bracket for blow boats, it made mounting it a snap.

Bracket: http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page305.html $16.89 simple and very sturdy.

Phil

Pismo
03-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Does anyone make a digital small GPS speedo 2+", not 3 3/8"

Islander
03-15-2006, 08:28 PM
I have a Livorsi unit with the antenna mounted under the deck. Works fine.

Dr. Dan
03-16-2006, 03:36 AM
:cool!: I have mine under the deck, probably close to where everyone else has described. I used a Zip Tie with the Screw Hole Insert, snaked it around and tied it off, it cradles the puck...works great and no issues, if I want to remove it for whatever reason I can.

One of the best investments in the New Dash Componenets was the GPS SPeedo, alot of fun...:bonk:

Doc of Versacci :banghead: