PDA

View Full Version : 1978 18 classic advice

wannabe
03-15-2006, 10:36 AM
First time poster on any board.(my second because it didn't work the first).
I found a 1978 18 classic in a dimly lit storage facility that will probably come to market online soon. It is a 1978 18 classic 2+3 with a 350 chevy engine and a mercruiser "r" drive. some engine work(mild camand high rise Manifold). yes a hole in the engine hatch and a scoop. White hull and deck(with a browwwn center stripe) The whole boat was done in Imron several years ago. Fresh water boat with nice tailer. no pics sorry. owner wants 10k.
What is eveyones opinion
Thanks
Drew

AC18Classic
03-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Need some pictures to give opinion.

gold-n-rod
03-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Based only on the info you've provided, the price seems too high.

If you get more info, post again and we can take the new info into consideration.

wannabe
03-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the quick response. This boat belongs to the marina service manager(for whatever thats worth) for a least ten years and was repainted several years ago by a top notch Hattaras dealership. I am most concerned about the "R" drives parts availability and durability. The boat is buried but soon to come out so pics would easier. Just want pull the kids tubing and scare the wife at 60 plus once in a while reliably

onesubdrvr
03-15-2006, 11:50 AM
R drive seems like an odditiy to me on a Donzi,..... but my knowledge is somewhat limited, I'd think more likely a tRs drive.

But hey, whadda I know?

Wayne

Rootsy
03-15-2006, 11:54 AM
R/MR/Alpha One parts are readily available... no worries...

10K wouldn't be "too" bad for a perfectly working order unrestored boat that doesn't need any work to go use whenever you wanted... now if you are going to have to get into fiberglass or mechanical repair... price begins falling rapidly..

not to mention, if it has been in storage for a long period (more than a year or two without use).. and you suddenly start to use it.. you're probably going to encounter seal and gasket leaks... hopefully the fuel tank is in good condition internally... probably have to replace some hoses, belts, fuel filters... etc etc... wouldn't even hurt to pull a valve cover and make sure the top end of the motor isn't a solid rust... time takes its toll on things when their legs arent stretched regularly, especially if measures are not taken to preserve them while in storage...

just a few thoughts...

JR

mrfixxall
03-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Wanabee,ck the 1976 classic forsale in the donzi's forsale section....1976 clasic with 120 hr or so he will probably take 12000 for it....no trailer tho....

p729lws
03-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey Drew, are you a Tony Packo's fan? I've only been once but it was a good time.:wink:

I'd agree with Rootsy's comments. $10K is not bad if its good to go and no work is required. If it has any problems at all then you can probably do better. Like any boat purchase, get a pro to look at it unless you know what to look for. A few hundred dollors for a survey could save you a lot of money down the road.

The 18C is a fun boat!

Dan

Islander
03-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I bought a 1978 2+3 a couple of years ago, which I still own, and it's in completley perfect, unrestored, original everything including shiny gelcoat condition. It was always a fresh water boat from Michigan and pampered all its life. Same engine/drive combo as your prospect. 60mph(gps) is max on a real good day with a light load. Drive components, as Rootsy said, are readily available and not too expensive.
Comparing your prospect to my deal, and considering it's been painted and not the original finish, I'd say you have some wiggle room on the price. On the other hand, if the boat's in good cosmetic and seaworthy condition, it would be cheap compared to some modern cookie cutter production boat. My 1978 18 2+3 is solid as a rock and I have the pleasure of owning a floating piece of Miami's finest art.