PDA

View Full Version : TRS Outdrive follow up question, LH to RH?

Lineleader
03-14-2006, 12:57 PM
To all:

Thanks for helping me identify which way my prop rotates. At the end of the shaft it is stamped "LH", so I'm a lefty.

New question: I have located a used and rebuilt TRS outdrive and Merc II Transmission. Problem is, it is a "RH".

I'm assuming I can swap out the entire drive (and tranny?) and make it a RH.
Is there an easier way? Can I just swap out the lower end and be done with it? Other ideas please or do I just need to find a LH drive?

Update of previous thread: Since I discovered that I can have my lower unit welded (thanks Cuda), now my transmission electric shift motor is toast. Boy this is fun trying to run down 30 year old used parts. The Bravo conversion is starting to look better.

LL

smoothie
03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Now Im confused...last I heard you couldnt weld it...

"""$400 is just for the machined fix of the housing. Another $400 for labor of taking every out and putting it back and about another $200 or so for parts (washers, seals and the like).

So for about a grand I should be good to go. I think that sounds reasonable given most of the used lower units I'm finding are around $2500.""""

Lineleader
03-14-2006, 01:52 PM
"Machine fix" I believe includes a weld. I was certainly headed down that path before I discovered the tranny problems. That made me expand my search to include a transmission for replacement parts. I still may go the "machine fix" route if I locate the electric shift motor.

As all that was being considered, I found this RH drive for sale. It includes tranny, outdrive, brackets, shifters and the works. That's why I posted the thread.

Sorry for the confusion.

smoothie
03-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Looking at the service manual you can swap complete drives or gear housings because the trany is the same for both,the only difference between the two is the propeller shaft and bearings ,while your at it you still may want to take the drive off and check trany seals, u-joints and bellow.Is your steering wheel on the left?

Lineleader
03-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Yes, my steering wheel in on the left. Many thanks.

MR MAGOO
03-15-2006, 11:37 AM
With your left hand steering configuration, I'd keep the left hand drive. It will counter propeller torque.

If you want to try the RH TRS, you can just swap the entire drive. Prop rotation on a TRS is in the lower unit but you can't just swap lowers as they are shimmed to the upper. If you insist on swapping lower units, make sure you follow the proper shimming process, (it's pretty straightforward) If you just bolt on a lower unit without shimming to the upper, you are guarranteed problems.

Kurt

MR MAGOO
03-15-2006, 11:37 AM
With your left hand steering configuration, I'd keep the left hand drive. It will counter propeller torque.

If you want to try the RH TRS, you can just swap the entire drive. Prop rotation on a TRS is in the lower unit but you can't just swap lowers as they are shimmed to the upper. If you insist on swapping lower units, make sure you follow the proper shimming process, (it's pretty straightforward) If you just bolt on a lower unit without shimming to the upper, you are guarranteed problems.

Kurt