PDA

View Full Version : Finally! 20 Cig is mine!

seano
03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
I bought a complete basket case...needs everything, but is structurally sound. good stringers, transom and decks...and thats about it!

Most of the hardware is there, but one of the round hatch latches is missing...anyone know where I might find a new or used one?

I tried Phil at Lip Ship seeing as he just finished Lil Maximus, but I guess he threw all of the old parts out when he deleted the front locker...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to try and keep this thing as original as possible with only a few small updates...

kjly63
03-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Seano

any pics:sombrero:

Ken

seano
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
here's one :)

smoothie
03-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Congrats to ya! what year is it.

seano
03-14-2006, 03:34 PM
it's a 74...

i've been looking for the right boat for a couple of years...even though this one is rough, and i paid entirely too much for it, i'm glad i did it...

boldts
03-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Congrats on the purchase Seano. Can't wait to see her when your done. I believe we will have 2 20' Cigs at AOTH tis year. Can't wait!

Cuda
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
It looks better than I thought after reading your first paragraph. :)

The past couple years, these 20 Cigs have become a hot commodity. Good luck with her, I love those boats.

McGary911
03-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Sweet boat. I've only seen one in person. Can't wait to follow the resto, so keep us posted. If it turns out as nice as that 28 you did a few years back, it'll be a gem. Good luck with it.

superhatz
03-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Looks great Sean.......I'm glad to hear you're going to keep it original.......It's too bad Phil through away original parts.....:(

BTW: did you ever get my e-mail regarding old Magnum photos on your web site?

Thanks,
Aaron

MOP
03-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Hope you get it ready soon will keep an eye out for you at the JP ramp, I got a ride in a 20 years back it is a darn nice riding boat lots of luck with it.

Phil

seano
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
aaron, i don't recall seeing an email from you, and i haven't looked at thunderboatalley in quite some time... anything you need?

superhatz
03-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah....I was just curious.....there used to be more photos of Magnum 27 sports.....some of them disappeared. This was a few years ago.....

Do you still have them?

Thanks,
Aaron

Eugene Nahemow
03-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Congratulations! I am sure it will turn out great.:beer:
Do you still have the Cafe?

seano
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
thanks eugene. i still have the Cafe along with my 16 Superboat CC...and I just bought a 16 donzi too, all project boats in various stages of (dis)repair...:shocking:

Air Dog
07-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Sean,

Have you started the resto yet on the Cig 20?

I sold my Banana Boat today. Going to clean out all the Mercury outboard parts in my garage to make room for my Cig 20 resto begining around October.

Need to sell my race boat first.

seano
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I cleaned the 20 thoroughly and shrinkwrapped it...

The Cafe Racer is getting new motors installed in 2 weeks... 496HO Bravo packages have been ordered

I finally got my 16 Superboat in the garage on Sunday and started the process of wetsanding and compouning the new gelcoat...the 2003 115 Johnny is still sitting in the crate in my garage...should have it rigged and ready to go toward the end of August...

I also just received word that my tenant is moving out and there is considerable amount ov work to be done on the rental... :( That's gonna set me back a bit...

As far as the 20, I hope to get started on it around January, provided the Superboat is done...

And then there is the 16 Donzi... I think I'll need to find a new home for that one :)

Best of luck with your 20 resto...can't wait to see it get started...if there are any parts you are considering throwing out, let me know...I need a few things for my 20... :) and if there is anythin I can help with on yours, let me know

Sean
516 455 1200

Air Dog
07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks Sean,

You will definately get the Cig 20 parts that I don't use.

Here is a pic of mine back in the day.

Donzi Dreaming
07-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Sean,
Going to clean out all the Mercury outboard parts in my garage to make room for my Cig 20 resto begining around October.
Need to sell my race boat first.

Air Dog,

What outboard parts do you have? I'm looking for 2.4 BP parts...

John

Air Dog
07-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi John,

Some stuff is already on ebay, but here is what I have:

1. 1987 Mercury 200hp outboard, carb with oil injection. Complete minus starter, cowl and carb box cover. It would start and run, but needs a rebuild if someone was going to use it again.
(it was my spare parts engine for my Banana Boat.)

2. Brand new Alien Cowl with lower pan and Skirt. Sold the boat before I could install it.

3. Bob's exhaust tuner.

4. Complete set of Mercury solid motor mounts.

5. Mercury 19p aluminum prop.

6. Mercury Offshore (4) blade Stainless Steel prop.

7. Case of AMSOIL synthetic racing (2) stroke oil (simply the best oil!).

8. (1) Racing Hydraulic bracket with 10" of set back. Includes remote switch, Mercury hydraulic pump, wiring harness and 3000psi Hydraulic lines.
(rated for any outboard including a 400hp V8 Johnson. Used one season.

9. Blue anodized outboard hose kit with 6' of hose (3' per side for bracket boats.)

:)

Donzi Dreaming
07-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi John,
Some stuff is already on ebay, but here is what I have:
1. 1987 Mercury 200hp outboard, carb with oil injection. Complete minus starter, cowl and carb box cover. It would start and run, but needs a rebuild if someone was going to use it again.
(it was my spare parts engine for my Banana Boat.)
2. Brand new Alien Cowl with lower pan and Skirt. Sold the boat before I could install it.
3. Bob's exhaust tuner.
4. Complete set of Mercury solid motor mounts.
5. Mercury 19p aluminum prop.
6. Mercury Offshore (4) blade Stainless Steel prop.
7. Case of AMSOIL synthetic racing (2) stroke oil (simply the best oil!).
8. (1) Racing Hydraulic bracket with 10" of set back. Includes remote switch, Mercury hydraulic pump, wiring harness and 3000psi Hydraulic lines.
(rated for any outboard including a 400hp V8 Johnson. Used one season.
9. Blue anodized outboard hose kit with 6' of hose (3' per side for bracket boats.)
:)

How much are you looking to get for the 200, my Superboat has two on it and I'm looking for a spare to build? And how much for the mounts?

How much power does the tuner give?

I don't want to go crazy with rebuild, I want were reliable. I am newbie to outboards and try to learn quickly.

Email me @ johnbcornell at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
John

dragonbreath288
07-29-2006, 01:57 AM
great to find this forum,
i am in the process of acquiring a 79 cig 20, only one owner and dry dock sinice new. hardly used and repowered ten years ago.
the current engine runs but has serious overheating. repowering wth an sterndrive is ideal but will cost much more due to my location in asia. so an outboard conversion is the best way to go. considering a 200-250hp two stroke with a bracket. a local mechanic told me that he converted a cig 20 with a 300 hp and the engine was hardly opened up due to the " skidding" of the hull, hence he recommends 200hp.
this will be my first project, the boat will be run in coastal waters, no lakes here, and probably hit 3-4 footers at times. could anyone give me an idea of the boats handling, i have heard she takes waves better then the donzi and is more of an offshore boat. would appreciate some advice.
also, because she wont be run in freshwater, i assume there is no need for a bigger engine then say 300hp because of the skidding. or am i wrong?
your feedback please, the more the merrier
btw. the boat runs mid 60 with a 5.7 merc, what can i expect with the outboards?

DAULEY
07-29-2006, 10:21 AM
i had a 21 cig out board and it ran like s--t or i should say it handle like s--t restore it as is you will be happier

dragonbreath288
07-30-2006, 12:42 AM
i had a 21 cig out board and it ran like s--t or i should say it handle like s--t restore it as is you will be happier

thanks for your replies....

the previous owner already changed and relocated the tank, i was planning on reweighting her with a water tank on in the original engine compartment, this extra weight combined with a longer shaft i hoped would give better positioning with the outboard. reglassing and reinforcing isnt a problem, the bracket is just a bit extra. repowering with a sterndrive will cost me more in the long run, maintanence and parts are hard to come by here, even the mechanic doesnt like mercs even though it means longer man hours for him. i would rather be out on the water then paying the boatyard for repairs.

as for s--t handling, i thought that cig make a couple with factory fitted outboards, i can understand that the handling is bad, but is it that much different from the original with sterndrive?

pleaser, i need more comments on what to expect from the handling and repowering, why is seano considering an outboard? or isnt he? is the cig better then the donzi on waves?

please help!!!!!!!

dragonbreath288
07-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Welcome to the board!
Instead of repowering, why not just track down the problem with the existing package? Pull the risers, check for restrictions, check the water pump, check the timing. Pull the oil cooler, look for chunks of debris..
To do the OB properly, you are going to have to move the fuel tank, do some serious glasswork on the transom, buy a bracket and a motor.. Not a cheap undertaking...

as far as overhauling the engine is concerned, i would prefer to keep the original as well, sound better and feels better. the mechanic who looks after the boat informed me that he tried to fix the overheating problem before but with little success, hence the owner hanst used her in over a year. the motor turns alright just has no cooling whatsoever.

fixing the sterndrive would probably cost half of an outboard conversion. i suppose thats why most of the power boats here change to outboards....

DAULEY
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
air dog
do you still have the bracket if how much

gcarter
07-30-2006, 06:47 PM
as far as overhauling the engine is concerned, i would prefer to keep the original as well, sound better and feels better. the mechanic who looks after the boat informed me that he tried to fix the overheating problem before but with little success, hence the owner hanst used her in over a year. the motor turns alright just has no cooling whatsoever.
fixing the sterndrive would probably cost half of an outboard conversion. i suppose thats why most of the power boats here change to outboards....
Just curious, are you located in Hong Kong?
Does the cost issue have to do with duty and taxes?

dragonbreath288
07-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Just curious, are you located in Hong Kong?
Does the cost issue have to do with duty and taxes?

nothing to do with taxes, parts cost more because of shipping and also need more time, servicing of outboards is also better here, at half the time and cost of sterndrives.

the mechanics get gittery around old stern drives

smoothie
07-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Dragon,
It sounds like to me you need to find another mechanic...An overheating problem isnt that hard to track down,A few people on this board would have fun helping "you" thru it.it would be a lot cheaper to replace a water pump than to start cutting on the cig,besides the mercruser trs is very dependable.I would also check into the gas tank being moved because I dont know where you could move it right now with the engine in? its a 50 gallon tank that runs from the dashboard to the back seat under the floor.To answer your ? about rough water
my buddy has a 20ft Donzi and the cig does ride better only because it weighs more.a 22 ft Donzi would be better than the cig 20 because its longer and will bridge across the waves better,but even the 22 isnt enough to handle 4 ft waves without taking a beating.

dragonbreath288
07-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Dragon,
It sounds like to me you need to find another mechanic...An overheating problem isnt that hard to track down,A few people on this board would have fun helping "you" thru it.it would be a lot cheaper to replace a water pump than to start cutting on the cig,besides the mercruser trs is very dependable.I would also check into the gas tank being moved because I dont know where you could move it right now with the engine in? its a 50 gallon tank that runs from the dashboard to the back seat under the floor.To answer your ? about rough water
my buddy has a 20ft Donzi and the cig does ride better only because it weighs more.a 22 ft Donzi would be better than the cig 20 because its longer and will bridge across the waves better,but even the 22 isnt enough to handle 4 ft waves without taking a beating.

I probably will fix the merc for now, but im sure it wont last too long, changing one part now is fine but eventually the bills will add up. hence im looking into the possibilities of a conversion. the current merc is ten years old and some of the other gear is original. the boat hasn't been run for a while. i reckon the bills will add up quickly.

im guesssing an outboard will be cheaper in the long run, but will it ride as well as before? as i said before, id rather be out boating then spending my sundays with grease on my hands.

Air Dog
08-04-2006, 08:46 PM
air dog
do you still have the bracket if how much

Hi Dauley,

Yes I still have my competition bracket off my race boat.

Sitting in my garage right now all covered up.

I have the bracket, (which is rated for a 400hp + V8 outboard), the pump, the dashboard switch and all the wiring and plumbing.

Was going to put it on ebay in a few weeks.

I only used it once and it threw my V8 Johnson up and down like it didn't weight anything.

Let me know if somebody wants it.

I have a 200hp Mercury as well. My brother keeps telling me to mount both to the Cig 20, but I just think that it is a mistake.

Speed is NOT everything. Safe handling is very important to me. They only made the 21 Cig outboard for a short period of time for a reason.

They are still making Cig 20's with big blocks so I am going to go with the people that are smarter than me and keep my Cig 20 a V8 big block with a bravo drive.

Here is a pic of the bracket when it was on my Banana Boat last year.

--Chris

Air Dog
08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Here is another pic of what kind of height you can get with this bracket.

In the pic of the rooster tail, the engine is trimmed all the way down. With it trimmed up it will go twice as high.

:eek!:

Air Dog
08-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Here is a pic the day I removed the V8 outboard.

I think it was 17 or 18 inches of set back.

Would definately help the weight issue on the Cig 20 conversion.

Lenny
08-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Seano, didn't Ted M, Mr. X post pics of that boat, in basically the same background, about 3 years ago or so?

I remember seeing it before or its' twin... :)

SurfGreenTele
08-11-2006, 03:39 PM
What's the exact beam on the Cig 20? Just wondering if one would fit in my boat space.

smoothie
08-12-2006, 12:20 PM
see attached:

SurfGreenTele
08-12-2006, 12:57 PM
see attached:

Thanks man. About 2" too wide for the space I have now.

Back to Sweet 16 hunting. :)

big bore
08-12-2006, 02:27 PM
smoothie do you have any more lit. on the 20 cig and could you make copys
thanks
jim

seano
08-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Seano, didn't Ted M, Mr. X post pics of that boat, in basically the same background, about 3 years ago or so?
I remember seeing it before or its' twin... :)

lenny,

that pic was taken in NJ a couple of months before i bought the boat. it came there by way of Canada and actually has NY registration numbers on it...very strange...

smoothie
08-15-2006, 05:25 PM
smoothie do you have any more lit. on the 20 cig and could you make copys
thanks
jim

Yes I do! send me a addy and I will fix ya up.

seano
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
i got some too...

big bore...where on LI are you located?

big bore
08-15-2006, 08:29 PM
upstate by lake gorge

seano
08-21-2006, 09:40 AM
duh... dunno what made me think you were on LI...

any pics of your 20?

dragonbreath288
09-04-2006, 09:50 AM
forgive me for going back to this thread

as i mentioned before, i have an opportunity to acquire a cig 20.
i went to inspect the boat in the water and everythign seemed ok, however i did notice taht the bilge was working quite alot.

the next day, i get a call from the guy at the slip, he tells me that the boat ahs a big termite problem, both in the forward and rear parts of the boat.
most importantly, he says that the engine mounts and transom are completely infested in the most important areas.

can you guys please advise me on the financial and labour cost of fixing a problem like this? termites in a cig 20......would like to see her float again. but not if end up sinking anyway.....

dragonbreath288
09-04-2006, 09:51 AM
in the above photo you can see some termite trails on the inside of the hull,
these were taking from under the seating deck, through the battery cover.

PLEASE ADVISE