PDA

View Full Version : Need some wiring connector info.

86fxst
03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
I just bought a new trailer for my 16. It is an aluminum Performance Trailer with brakes. I want to go pick it up this week but I'm not sure if the trailer wiring on my truck is currently compatible with that on the trailer. I suppose I could call the trailer dealer except they are closed today and I kind of wanted to pick the trailer up tomorrow, if possible. The trailer has a five pin connector and my truck has a four pin connector. Do I need to have my truck rewired or is there an adaptor available? I'm totally clueless to this one!

Carl C
03-13-2006, 12:38 PM
The 5th pin goes to the back-up lights to disable the surge brakes when backing up. You will need to replace the connector on the truck. You can buy the kit at any discount auto parts store.

86fxst
03-13-2006, 01:02 PM
The 5th pin goes to the back-up lights to disable the surge brakes when backing up. You will need to replace the connector on the truck. You can buy the kit at any discount auto parts store.

Thanks Carl!

mrfixxall
03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
If the trailer has drum brakes you really dont need the fifth wire,,if it has disc brakes you will need it or their may be a reverse lockout on the serg beake master...

MOP
03-13-2006, 02:23 PM
If you only have a 4 wire plug you can cheat to get it to back up, strip th eblue wire back 1/2" insert it into the plug hole for the brown wire. The brown is for running/parking lights, simply pull your light switch out to energize the brake release solinoid to back it up.

Phil

MOP
03-13-2006, 02:25 PM
"On any hydraulic surge brake system there is a reverse lock out solinoid!!!!!!!!!!!! DRUM OR DISC!!

MOP
03-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Come on youngins all the boy wants to do is get it home, it will be sans boat won't need brakes for that act!

MOP
03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Nope....

WADDA YA mean Nope!! No way can you back any tongue actuated hydraulic brake system without the release solinoid. Sure in a pinch you can pin the hitch if the solinoid fails but you got to have one.

BUIZILLA
03-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Just connect the blue harness wire in the five wire loop to the reverse light wires down by the tag.... when your in reverse, the solenoid is engaged, and you can back up without resistance.

:smile:

86fxst
03-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Thanks to you all for your input. I dropped by the discount auto supply store on the way home from work as Carl C. suggested and picked up the adaptor for $4.94!:biggrin: