PDA

View Full Version : Hurt my feelings!

apollo24
03-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I was launching my Donzi X yesterday for the first in months when the guy who runs the marina made a comment that kind of hurt my feelings: (let me preface this all by saying that the simple work they did on my boat was AFU'd and when I cranked it, the throttle was wide open and the boat was in FWD, although the shifter was centered- almost had a Donzi sitting in the back seat of my landcruiser.)

"That boat would be a great restoration project-you should do this, that, blah blah blah" Was he saying that my boat looks like a POS? I didn't know how to take it. I just said, "yeah, it could use some fluff n' buff, but I kind of enjoy it as-is. It's my daily driver."

Or should I have said, "Yeah, I wish it looked as good as your 1968 Stardust houseboat you live on. Tell me, who did the window treatment?"

Or should I have said "thanks for your interest."

I don't know, it just kind of ticked me off. And what was worse was that the guy who manages the ramp and the fuel dock didn't really want me to launch my boat there. I figure if I am paying to have work done, I am going to launch my boat at their facility to make sure it is right, which it wasn't. Unfortunately, they are the only full-service marina on the lake. Figures.

What has happened to courteous people? My worst experiences have been with marinas/repair facilities. What the heck? It seems like it's a business that has you by the nads, so it doesn't matter much if they treat you well or not. Maybe its not that way in bigger cities or waters.

harbormaster
03-13-2006, 10:57 AM
There are butholes all over. Two weeks ago I went over and picked up a 38' Scarab that had sat in a local marina's repair shop for almost a year without being repaired correctly. The owner had contacted us to go get it and I was to bring it back to our shop.

The guys at the marina pointed to a pile of parts that previously was a 502 efi Mag. 5 of the shop guys sat there and watch me load all the parts and block single handedly.

JimG
03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I had a guy look at my 18 once, and say it was a "good base for a restoration project"... I told him that as long as I owned it, it would never be restored. (No flames from restored boat owners, plz...) He just did not understand. I said if I wanted a new Donzi, there are plenty of those around.

I look at every ding and scratch as a badge of honor, indicative of the active life my Donzi lived before it came to me. And a tribute to how well-built they are! I try to minimize any further damage of course, but the gelcoat shines and the hardware still looks good so I'll not touch it!

I took my Donzi out on Saturday morning for run through Clear Lake. I was stopped five times by gawkers in the Kemah Channel, in everything from a 40's Chris Craft runabout to a 33 Powerplay. None of those guys considered my boat a restoration project... lot's of thumb's ups, though!

JimG

Johntrip
03-13-2006, 03:05 PM
It does'nt matter where you live, [B][I]"THEY" are all over..!!! I won't say names but I've taken my boat for simple servicing and picked it up with chips int the gelcoat, engine hatch mirrors cracked, loose bolts, clamps not tightened down all the way(salt water all over my engines)!!!! And thats just since last May when I bought the Donzi......!!!!:boggled:

Formula Jr
03-13-2006, 05:29 PM
There are also good stories.

I was the first person to try to lauch from a remote ramp way up in the Cascade Mountains one season. The ramp was completely covered in heavy drift wood. Took me about 1/2 hour to pull it all off, and then as I'm carrying the last log off a guy pulls in with his boat and starts to launch ahead of me. He stopped when he saw me and pulled right back up to the parking slot next to me.
He got out and says he is sorry for be being rude. And said you go first, thanks for clearing this out, and asked if I needed a hand.

It balances out.

p729lws
03-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I was launching my Donzi X yesterday for the first in months when the guy who runs the marina made a comment that kind of hurt my feelings: (let me preface this all by saying that the simple work they did on my boat was AFU'd and when I cranked it, the throttle was wide open and the boat was in FWD, although the shifter was centered- almost had a Donzi sitting in the back seat of my landcruiser.)
"That boat would be a great restoration project-you should do this, that, blah blah blah" Was he saying that my boat looks like a POS? I didn't know how to take it. I just said, "yeah, it could use some fluff n' buff, but I kind of enjoy it as-is. It's my daily driver."
Or should I have said, "Yeah, I wish it looked as good as your 1968 Stardust houseboat you live on. Tell me, who did the window treatment?"
Or should I have said "thanks for your interest."
I don't know, it just kind of ticked me off. And what was worse was that the guy who manages the ramp and the fuel dock didn't really want me to launch my boat there. I figure if I am paying to have work done, I am going to launch my boat at their facility to make sure it is right, which it wasn't. Unfortunately, they are the only full-service marina on the lake. Figures.
What has happened to courteous people? My worst experiences have been with marinas/repair facilities. What the heck? It seems like it's a business that has you by the nads, so it doesn't matter much if they treat you well or not. Maybe its not that way in bigger cities or waters.

Sounds like Bubba's trying to drum up some more work. Should have told him you're planning on doing some resto work on it but can't find a decent boat guy to do simple repair work right! :smash:

Dan

Jraysray
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
I had a guy look at my 18 once, and say it was a "good base for a restoration project"... I told him that as long as I owned it, it would never be restored. (No flames from restored boat owners, plz...) He just did not understand. I said if I wanted a new Donzi, there are plenty of those around.
I look at every ding and scratch as a badge of honor, indicative of the active life my Donzi lived before it came to me. And a tribute to how well-built they are! I try to minimize any further damage of course, but the gelcoat shines and the hardware still looks good so I'll not touch it!
I took my Donzi out on Saturday morning for run through Clear Lake. I was stopped five times by gawkers in the Kemah Channel, in everything from a 40's Chris Craft runabout to a 33 Powerplay. None of those guys considered my boat a restoration project... lot's of thumb's ups, though!
JimG

Yeah, it seems those that know have a different opinion on our Donzi's. It is your baby; YOU decide where she sits best. Most have an opinion which is either unqualified or based on opinion only.

Naysayers are everywhere. You know what you have, so revel in that fact. Very few have the perfect ride. BTW, personality (boat) is developed NOT NAMED! Yeah my boat has scratches and uhhh kids.... :p

Jim let me know the next time you hit Clear Lake!

JimG
03-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Will do! Hoping for this weekend if the weather doesn't go south on us...