PDA

View Full Version : pro charger for 496 ho ?

customman
03-11-2006, 02:49 PM
what are your opinions on supercharging the 496 ho ,is the pro charger better than the wipple? or is the motor just not tough enough to super charge.?

pmreed
03-11-2006, 08:22 PM
According to Jamie, there is no Procharger kit for the HO. He should know, he's a dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk
Looks nice! But you say there's no supercharger available? Procharger shows a kit for the 496. What are you waiting for?

I am a distributor for them.. Believe me if they had one for the new 496 Mag ho I would do it.. The current Kits only work on up to early 2004 models. They new engines have different pistons & fuel system.. They dont currently mix well at all with the superchargers right now, unless you retrofit a ton of stuff.. It's not currently cost effective.. probably the next best thing currently is the Raylar kits, however still expensive & labor intensive
Annother option I could do is a 625 Ilmor v10 with the Teague system as I am a certified dealer & installer for them too.. The only problem is I wont be dropping about annother 50-60K + on the set up for this ride.. Kristin would Kill me!! She would rather me spend that on a larger Donzi in the future & alternate between the 2..
Thanks again for the compliment.. Jamie

Phil

fasttrucker
03-12-2006, 08:51 AM
My last issue of hot-boat shows both the whipple and the pro-charger.They have a nice review of all 496 upgrades.az-speed+marine,raylar kits.Bottom line is if you want to do more then a ecu upgrade(raise rev-limiter)/CMI-headers or eddie marine exhaust/K+N air intake.If you want to do more then that to make the engine last you have to do a complete job of exhaust-intake/ cam/heads/pistons/crank/ect.We have a boater here in m.d. who got 60hrs on a 496ho with whipples before he had to repair both motors.I think he then took them off.

undertaker
03-12-2006, 09:13 AM
customaman talk to Jaime @ Lakeside he has all the info on prochargers for 496 HO'S he will give it to you straight up with no BS he great at that IMO:yes: .

Undertaker:beer:

LKSD
03-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Again, as per my inserted quote from above the early 496's are not that big of a problem. The key is low boost for a longer life. If you want to run a higher boost on any of them you need to do at least piston, rod & valve upgrades. The newer (2004 & up) models are the toug ones. There are no direct kits available because of the new fuel system and some other key items. Also the pistons and some other internals would need to be upgraded for it to be long term dependable... But right now & for the immediate future there is no total kit available for the newer stuff. It will be a lot of work & a lot of money to put a proper sc kit together for the newer 496's.. If you want to keep it natrually aspirated you may want to consider a Raylar kit, I can get them & or do them for you, but again not cheap.. Jamie / Lakeside :)