PDA

View Full Version : Carb choice

Cuda
03-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Would a 600 cfm square bore Holley with vacumn secondaries be a good choice for the 454/330? The only other things I'm changing is the distributor, the exhaust, and the intake.

onesubdrvr
03-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Would a 600 cfm square bore Holley with vacumn secondaries be a good choice for the 454/330? The only other things I'm changing is the distributor, the exhaust, and the intake.
Joe, 600 is a little close on sizing, based on 4500rpm, you'd need 591cfm, I think a 650cfm Edelbrock marine would be a little better bet.

Unless you're sold on Holley, then I'd go 1 size up.

Just my .02
Wayne

Cuda
03-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Wayne. I thought it might be boderline. I suppose that 591 cfm would be at 100% efficiency too.

onesubdrvr
03-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks Wayne. I thought it might be boderline. I suppose that 591 cfm would be at 100% efficiency too.
Yeah, sure is, either way, too close for me,....

Are you going to make it to Dora? I'm hoping to get some water time soon. I plan on bringing a for-sale sign with me to Dora too. I'm JONESIN to get back on the water, wish it were in the X, but, far from ready.

See 'ya later
Wayne

Cuda
03-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Yes. I just had a guy on another forum offer to sell me a nearly new Performer O intake with an almost new Q jet for $200.

Rootsy
03-11-2006, 09:27 AM
forget the holley... stick with a Q-jet... seriously

Cuda
03-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Scott, beers are on me. :)

mrfixxall
03-11-2006, 10:40 PM
700 cfm minimum unless you want to suck the intake valves out of the heads by running it lein.......

Rootsy
03-12-2006, 08:37 AM
700 cfm minimum unless you want to suck the intake valves out of the heads by running it lein.......

now ya lost me...

LKSD
03-12-2006, 09:25 AM
For what its worth, I am partial to the Bary grant sea demon carbs. They are fully tunable & I would go with a mechanical secondary. The vaccum ones feel more flat. I can get the BG stuff for you but it is a bit more pricey than the Holley stuff. Jamie :)

Cuda
03-12-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm buying that Performer intake and the Q jet from that guy for $200. He's going to France today, and won't be able to send it to me until he's back on Friday.

I'm about to go out and test the 23 Mirage + here in a few minutes. Debbie's out looking for one of our dogs that ran off. :angryfire

LKSD
03-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm buying that Performer intake and the Q jet from that guy for $200. He's going to France today, and won't be able to send it to me until he's back on Friday.
I'm about to go out and test the 23 Mirage + here in a few minutes. Debbie's out looking for one of our dogs that ran off. :angryfire

For 200 you cant go wrong.. I misunderstood.. I thought you were looking for suggestions on the carbs.. Sorry about that.. Jamie :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

In regards to the dogs, I hope they come back.. We have a shock collar for ours & it works well ( not invisible fence). We just give a zap if the dog goes where she shouldnt, barks too much or is not listening.. Hmmmmmm, maybe I should get the wife one too for when she barks at me?? Just kidding.. J :jestera:

undertaker
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Hmmmmmm, maybe I should get the wife one too for when she barks at me?? Just kidding.. J

DO IT DO IT...:boggled: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:wavey:

Cuda
03-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, we got the dog back. It was our lab, she was over in the river again. She came back soaked. She knew she was in for a whipping when she was coming back. She was at a full gallop until she saw me, then stopped. I'm just afraid she'll be a gator snack one of these days in that river.

Have I ever registered my absolute disdain for GM engineers? I was just out adjusting the points on Deb's boat. First they put the fricking distributor in the back of the engine, then they put the screws you need to adjust the points, right underneath the points. Now I remember why I was a Ford guy growing up.

LKSD
03-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Joe, sounds like it might be time to update to electronic ignition.. No more of the point replacment & adjustment & burning BS... :) J

Budmann
03-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Just my 2 cents, but Joe my small block has a 780 on it and I think it would like more.
I think you would rather be over than close or under.

Bud

Cuda
03-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Joe, sounds like it might be time to update to electronic ignition.. No more of the point replacment & adjustment & burning BS... :) J
Yep, I've already gotten the distributor, and I just ordered a high voltage coil and new wires today.

Cuda
03-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Just my 2 cents, but Joe my small block has a 780 on it and I think it would like more.
Bud
Buddy, I just ran the numbers for your engine through the cfm calculator. At 5000 rpm, your engine only requires 506 cfm, at 90% efficiency, so I don't think a bigger carb will help you.

MOP
03-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Bud

Bud what are you running for cubes? I have a Holley 750 on my 383 which I had Holley spec to the engine. My plugs run a tad darker then I like, I am thinking about going down a little. I remember Big Griz saying the 750 was a bit much on a small block and that a 650 would give better bottom with little to no lose on top end.

Phil

gold-n-rod
03-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Bigger isn't better when it comes to carbs.

Years ago, I bought a Vega wagon with a Buick 215 ci aluminum V8 in her. It wouldn't run for dick. I took it to a carb guy who ran the numbers on the carb. It was either a Holley 750 or 780. Turns out, it had come off a big block Ford motor :eek:

He swapped it for a nice vacuum secondary Holley 600 and it ran as smooth as buttah!

:wavey:

Rootsy
03-12-2006, 04:34 PM
hook yourself a vacuum line and gauge to manifold vacuum and go run the boat.. if at WOT it pulls anymore than ZERO then your carburetor is too small.. OR not opening all of the way.. or your flame arrestor is a restrictuon... Edelbrock's "rule of thumb" for a dual plane intake is something like 150% of max calculated thruput (taking into consideration VE)

amazing that my 600 holley pulled 5 inches of mercury at 5500 rpm on my 350...

also.. there is a whole crapload more to carburetor than just the thruput rating...

MOP
03-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks J I know you have done some poking around on this, are there any sites with some info that would help. I am toying with going to my FAV carb the Qjet but going a little bit down in size.

Phil