PDA

View Full Version : It's Gone!!!!

OFT
03-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Some sorry c?#ksuckers stole my 22 GT out of the dealers yard in Seabrook, TX while it was there for the 20-hr and some up-grades. :incredibl If I could find who did it, I could save the gov't some money :fire: .

To everyone out there, this is the grey boat with the single scoop on the deck that was used in all the adds by Donzi before the Shelby models were built. This is the only one of it's kind - the other one is blue.

The authorities think it may have ended up in a shipping container as the bast#$ds drove past a new blue cobra gt that was out front and not locked. Some sorry effing as#hole now has it.

On the remote chance anyone out there should see it, please notify the Seabrook, Texas police department.

In the meantime, the dealership is stepping up to the plate and are working to get me into another boat. Just won't be the same tho.:bawling:

Carl C
03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Oft, I just posted a thread to bitch about dealers wanting to keep your boat for days when servicing. That really sucks. I hope you can get into a new boat by summer.:frown:

Dr. Dan
03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
:banghead: Bummer :banghead:

That Sucks! Keep us Posted, We'll keep an eye out!

Doc :cool!:

LKSD
03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Oft, I just posted a thread to bitch about dealers wanting to keep your boat for days when servicing. That really sucks. I hope you can get into a new boat by summer.:frown:

I do feel for the guy who had his boat stolen. I would be very upset to say the least. However after reading your thread I know as a dealer even some simple jobs that may take 1-2hrs has to be left to be worked into the schedule. There are people ahead and you also never know what you may run into. I dont know of any place that lets you wait like a car. What you may want to ask if your boat has to be left if they can keep it inside or lock it for you ---or you bring your own lock. THAT IS WHAT WE DO FOR OUR BOAT CUSTOMERS IF THEY ARE WORRIED. We try to give them as much peace of mind & security that it is possible. Jamie & Kristin/Lakeside

d1mbu1b
03-10-2006, 10:04 AM
I have noticed postings on other forums of these unfortunate events:
OSO, speedwake, donzi, scream and fly, etc.
I wonder if there is a way the moderators can get together and provide an information sharing conduit between all the performance boating websites.
basically, just a link to a consolidated thread that can keep a database of sorts to identify the following:
1) last known location
2) date of threft
3) Hull ID
4) pictures of boat, trailer, and identifying marks (scratches, dings, etc)
5) whatever else you can think of

this way all of us boating enthusiasts can keep an eye out in our areas
and report back to the thread of potential sightings.
also we can identify hot spots or scenarios to avoid.

these boats are our pride and joy.
We should do whatever we can to fight these thefts.

any thoughts?

respectfully,
Jeff

LKSD
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I have noticed postings on other forums of these unfortunate events:
OSO, speedwake, donzi, scream and fly, etc.
I wonder if there is a way the moderators can get together and provide an information sharing conduit between all the performance boating websites.
basically, just a link to a consolidated thread that can keep a database of sorts to identify the following:
1) last known location
2) date of threft
3) Hull ID
4) pictures of boat, trailer, and identifying marks (scratches, dings, etc)
5) whatever else you can think of
this way all of us boating enthusiasts can keep an eye out in our areas
and report back to the thread of potential sightings.
also we can identify hot spots or scenarios to avoid.
these boats are our pride and joy.
We should do whatever we can to fight these thefts.
any thoughts?
respectfully,
Jeff

That is a good idea. Not sure how they would implement it. It would be great if they could share the info from a database like law enforcement does with fingerprints and such. Jamie

Jraysray
03-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Some sorry c?#ksuckers stole my 22 GT out of the dealers yard in Seabrook, TX while it was there for the 20-hr and some up-grades. :incredibl If I could find who did it, I could save the gov't some money :fire: .
To everyone out there, this is the grey boat with the single scoop on the deck that was used in all the adds by Donzi before the Shelby models were built. This is the only one of it's kind - the other one is blue.
The authorities think it may have ended up in a shipping container as the bast#$ds drove past a new blue cobra gt that was out front and not locked. Some sorry effing as#hole now has it.
On the remote chance anyone out there should see it, please notify the Seabrook, Texas police department.
In the meantime, the dealership is stepping up to the plate and are working to get me into another boat. Just won't be the same tho.:bawling:

Are you telling me it was at the yard and outside the locked fence? I drooled over that boat many times and I had access to it unimpeded several times. I stopped by "yard" the other day and looked at the Shelby with the sales guy.

I also told him that it killed me to see those boats sitting there day after day baking in the sun and elements as if they were just another used boat for sell.

Today I noticed that a lot of boats were gone and the rest were behind the locked wrought iron fence.

THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL BAD A$$ BOAT!
:frown:

OFT
03-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, it is hard to believe. I was out of town when it was "determined" to be missing. Since the 20th will have been three weeks since that day, I've had time to do some thinking about the following;
The salesman called and said he had good news and bad news. The good news was that it would cost no more than $200 to fix a chip missing from my skag. the bad news was that the boat was missing. He then asked if I had come and picked up my boat while he was out that day testing another boat. Said he had been away from the dealership since the evening before and was just getting back around 2:30 or so and found it gone. Amazing now that I recall he said the gate was locked. Seebrook police constantly patrolling and lights everywhere. Alot about this sounds strange.
When I got back into town, I went to the dealership for the first time. I had bought the boat at the Houston Boat Show, the dealer had delivered it to me and picked it up for the warranty work. I couldn't believe the dealership when I saw it. Just like Jraysray said, it is located on the side of Hwy. 146 and surrounded by an ornamental fence. Their warranty work is performed at other shops.
At the time, the dealer's goal was to put me back into another Donzi, which I wanted to do. Since they are responsible for the settlement, they said the settlement could be speeded up if I would sign for the replacement, a 28ZXO, which my wife and I both liked. I told them that we first had to settle the other matter before I put myself into that position. This was after the first week.
To this day, all I've spoken with is the salesman and he doesn't appear to be taking my calls anymore. The owner(s) of Texas Sportfishing has yet to even say hello/I'm sorry/let us help/etc. Not very professional for someone repping top companies like Donzi and Fountain. Their insurance company has yet to contact me after 3 weeks. As much as I hate to I guess it's time to bring in an attorney to collect for me, along with legal fees. I don't want anything other than what I'm owed but refuse to pay for my own collection.
Anyway, I guess it's apparent I won't be buying a boat from this dealership and would hesitate to recommend anyone else to either. Far as I'm concerned, they may even know the bas&ards that took the boat.

tmdog
03-18-2006, 05:41 PM
There was a similar case in Fla. at a new car dealership. I know yours' was a boat and you better hope the laws in Tex. are different than FL. in regards to stolen property at a dealership. At this time I don't remember the correct name of the law but the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the loss, Even if the fence is wide open. I hope this law does not apply to you. I'd check with a atty. and have him research incidents similar to what happen to you. Good luck.

Carl C
03-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Oft, if the boat was locked in a secure area then the dealer may be off the hook and this could fall on your insurance. Laws vary by state but usually I think this is the case. You should talk to your insurance people unless you didn't have ins. Then You need a lawyer! I feel for you. I'm not even going to have my recall done because I won't let this happen to me. And you dealers should make some effort to accomodate your customers by making appointments. My number one business motto is to treat people the way I would like to be treated. And business has been good. edit: tmdogs response came up just before mine! Pretty much the same answer.

OFT
03-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Here in Texas, they took on the responsibility when they took possession without a signed "hold harmless" contract, like you sign when you drop your car at a dealership for repairs. Both the dealer's salesman has stated this after talking to their agent and my discussions with my insurance rep.

At this point it probably can't be proven the boat was ever locked in, but why would they ask me if I had come and retrieved my boat to take a ride?

As before, some things just don't make sense. I just want to close this up and not have to keep paying for a $70k mortgage on a boat I can't even look at.

BTW - Jraysray, do you remember when you last saw the boat at the dealership and was inside the fence or outside? If you can think of anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
OFT

Silver Bullet
03-18-2006, 07:12 PM
OFT

That just makes my stomach turn in knots. I am so sorry to hear about that. I am not familiar with the shop but I certainly know 146 and that does sound pretty odd. It should not be that easy to back up to a boat (especially a 70k boat) and drive off w/o anyody even noticing.

IMO I would seek legal action and find out your options at least.

Good Luck and hope to see you at Conroe with all matters resolved this summer.

RickSE
03-18-2006, 08:59 PM
This sucks, but it happens.

It happened to my dad's Donzi/ProLine dealership in Alubuqerque. Someone cut the lock on the yard fence and drove off with a new unsold ProLine 19 Sport. They never even bothered to put the motor up and drug the skeg on the ground all the way out of the yard. I always suspected it was an inside job, the guy who ran the yard. Long story short, about a year later my dad gets a call from the New Mexico State Police that someone was trying to register the boat and got nabed. By now the insurance company had paid out so they owned the boat but offered it to my dad for $5,000.

OFT
03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Well, here's the latest up-date on my stolen boat.

It has now been over 4 weeks since my boat disappeared from the Texas Sportfishing dealership in Seabrook, Texas. To this date I have yet to hear what is going to happen to clear this up and have now made another payment on the loan.

I personally had to track down the claims adjuster who said he had not received the files from the dealership until almost 3 weeks after the theft report. I personally had to fax the police report to him on the 23rd. He could not tell me what was going to happen yet.

On the 27th, I did receive a call from the detective assigned to the case and he sounded real curious about how I was notified about the theft along with the other details of circumstances. He said he was going to pay a visit to the dealership next and amazingly, within 30 minutes or so, the salesman for the dealership called acting like we were long lost buddies. Said the reason he had not called was because he had taken time off, which was BS as I saw his truck at the dealership during that time when I picked up the police report.

This same day I also contacted the Donzi rep responsible for assisting dealers. He told me that Donzi has no specific guidelines concerning insurance, protection of customer's property during warranty repairs etc. Interesting. He was not happy to hear about my situation but is limited in what he can do at this point.

Anyway, I have now recruited an attorney to impress upon the owner that I want this settled now. Per his salesman, he was willing to pay for the boat out of his pocket when he thought he could get me to sign a contract for the next one. Since I refused to start another deal until this one was closed up, he changed his mind.

I guess I'm lucky as far as the laws in Texas go. If I have to file suit against the owner next week, I can go for the gold ring - damages such as interest on my money, mental anguish due to the loss and subsequent inability to use the boat, court and attorney's fees etc. I don't like to do this but am tired of being jacked around.

OFT

RedDog
03-29-2006, 09:58 AM
so whose insurance is covering this loss? Yours or the dealer?

Dr. Dan
03-29-2006, 09:59 AM
:spongebob Good Luck! Man, what a weird Deal for sure....this almost sounds like a Movie?

Keep Us Posted :cool:

Doc

JimG
03-29-2006, 10:14 AM
OFT, sorry to hear about this! I drive right by Texas Sportfish all the time, and have seen your boat. (Not lately, though...) I'm on Clear Lake all the time, so I'll keep my eyes peeled..

JimG

BUIZILLA
03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
If you signed a work order acknowledging they are to perform a service, and leave the boat with them, it then clearly becomes their *care, custody & control*. It will be almost impossible for them to escape liability. They should, if they are reputable , have coverage for *customer property & property of others*. It is a General Comprehensive item.

JH

Ranman
03-29-2006, 12:08 PM
so whose insurance is covering this loss? Yours or the dealer?

That's what I was thinking. Why not just file the claim with your insurance company. It shouldn't matter where the boat was when it was stolen.

This reminds me of the time we bought Jenn's first Explorer, a 24K mile lease turn in. She signed the papers, but left the truck at the dealership for some warranty work. Never even drove it home. Two days later the dealership called and said that the truck was rear ended while out road testing and if she wanted it repaired, she'd need to file a claim with her insurance company. I thought this was crap, but ultimatly the insurance company covered it and that was the only way to get the vehicle reparied and returned to us.

OFT
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
RedDog - their insurance is covering their claim. Their insurer is Elton Porter Marine Agency. This is supposed to be a large company which I understand has teamed up with companies like Fountain and others to provide insurance to 140 mph plus boats. Hope they settle soon.
JimG - You might want to keep a good eye open. The salesman told me they posted a $5000 reward. I haven't personally seen this or no how or where it's posted, but why would he lie to me?
Buizilla and Ranman - Nothing signed. Their salesman picked up the boat at my marina on Lake Conroe to take it back for warranty repairs and some up-grades I wanted. As for turning it into my insurance company, I was informed no problem - but I would probably be denied coverage on my next boat, which I get dirt cheap. Also, I was lead to believe, by the salesman, the dealership's insurance would have this resolved in 2 weeks. By the time I found out they were dragging their feet, I was looking at another 30 days.
As far as being reputable, well, I don't know them well enough to express an honest opinion - yet. I do know that I've had to get a copy of my own police report, track down their agent, track down a claim number, track down the adjuster (3rd party), send him a copy of the police report etc. etc. etc. However, I do have the salesman telling me they are doing everything they can to make this right for me and that the owner feels real bad about all of this and am I ready to come in and sign for another new boat?
Anyway...After Tuesday next week, it's "go for the gold" and don't look back.
OFT

Cuda
03-29-2006, 12:35 PM
I feel for you. I know I'd be one pissed off mofo about now. It kind of reminds me of when I had a boat for sale at a consignment lot. Someone stole all four of my trim rams off the boat while it was there. The dealer said he wasn't going to cover it. Let's just say he finally saw it my way.

RedDog
03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
If you file a claim with your insurance company they are going to turn around and make a claim against the dealer's insurance. They have the knowledge and muscle to make it happen and to keep YOU happy and to keep YOUR business. Think of your insurance company as an expediator to get the others moving.

Jraysray
03-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Here in Texas, they took on the responsibility when they took possession without a signed "hold harmless" contract, like you sign when you drop your car at a dealership for repairs. Both the dealer's salesman has stated this after talking to their agent and my discussions with my insurance rep.
At this point it probably can't be proven the boat was ever locked in, but why would they ask me if I had come and retrieved my boat to take a ride?
As before, some things just don't make sense. I just want to close this up and not have to keep paying for a $70k mortgage on a boat I can't even look at.
BTW - Jraysray, do you remember when you last saw the boat at the dealership and was inside the fence or outside? If you can think of anything, please let me know.
Thanks,
OFT

I never saw your boat when it was in the yard for repairs. When I spoke with the salesman about the Shelby on the lot. I asked what happened to your boat and he told me the story about you buying the boat at the boat show.

He went on about it being one of a kind and what $$ it went for. He definetly was impressed with the boat as was I. My buddy has built the some of the covers for those boats and does a lot of marine work around here.

Post some pics so I can show him!!!!!! He also has an opinion about that group if you are interested. Feel free to PM me or whatever. Between Jim G, Harbormaster and myself. We got the eyeballs peeled and a lookin'!

OFT
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Another up-date:

Spoke with the owner on Friday nite. He said that his agent told him the claim would most likely be denied as his policy only covers his inventory and not that of his customers. In other words, Texas Sportfishing and Yacht Sales may not be able to cover your boat under any circumstances. He even admitted that the fenced yard was not locked, even tho no one was on site, so that the painter could come get it for additional warranty repairs.

My attorney states that Texas laws are clear on this matter and that he is responsible. I guess now it's time for court and the additional cost to everyone.

Later,

OFT

ChromeGorilla
04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, OFT. I hope you get every penny you deserve and that it comes from his insurance not yours..... sounds like the law is on your side appearently.

It's hard for me to believe that this boat will not pop up somewhere this summer. Not a whole hell of alot of boats that look like it..... between Donzi.net members, speedwake members, OSO members, and Hotboat members..... the country is blanketed left to right...... I'd bet that somewhere eventually a picture of it will pop up or someone will comment on this nice 22 they saw somewhere.....

Either way, I'm sure you would just rather not have this whole mess to begin with.... :boggled:

Carl C
04-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Oft, are there any photos so that we can watch for it in the north too? Any unique feature? You should contact your insurance people. I hope you take them to the cleaners and get punitive damages for being boatless. :kaioken:

Moody Blu'
04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
i feel for ya man i hear ya for being tired of being pushed around, lay your fist down. your right its not right to be like that and people shouldnt get away with it.

OFT
04-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Yeah, that's my boat, or was. Mattyboy, you don't know how much it hurts to look at those pic's.

Anyway, the boat was missing the SS "D" in the "DONZI" on the port side, it now also sports an in-dash depthometer and I had a drive shower installed. The stereo will also be after-market as I had the face plate at the time. The driver's seat is scuffed on the left side (blue jeans in the winter). The dealer was supposed to install 2 more hidden cleats just at the forward edge of the windscreen but I don't think he did. For argument's sake, it's a gray Aarinou (spelling?) with a carbon fiber interior and Lavorsi controls and gauges.

I did register this boat on the forum the day I brought it home so you all have access if you think you see it.

Thanks to everyone.

OFT

Moody Blu'
04-10-2006, 04:08 PM
hmm whoever stole it saw it at the show and caught there evil eye. or its over in arabia somewhere. im sorry i said it but i hope you find it if not , its best to jusst get on with your life start a new project.

there is always hope but dont cling to it.

Cuda
04-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I get physically ill just reading about it, and seeing the pictures of it. I can't imagine how you feel.

mrmct
04-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Cars are often stolen to commit other crimes and then dumped - I would doubt this is the case here - your boat probably has a buyer or someone thinks they can sell it. I would scan all on-line ads you can think of - boat trader, boats and yachts, e-bay etc., and be sure to check internationally as well. If the thief was filling an order from a buyer, then this won't help. Another thing to look out for is any boats listed that look like they have a new gelcoat job, or a non-stock job - I would expect it will turn-up with a different color scheme, since it is so unique, so look-out for that aspect as well. Another thought, the thief might try to sell it to another unsuspecting dealer, although hopefully the dealers are going to check the paperwork carefully. You might want to e-mail an alert to all Donzi dealers in North America.

Like some other post said - I would file a caim with your own insurer, even if someone else is liable - they will subrogate against the party liable and might be an effective ally.

Good luck!

Mike.

tiger lily
04-10-2006, 08:03 PM
my guess is, if you get it back, some rookies stole it, however from what i know, it prolly is in a container going to another country, that thing is just down right gorgeous!!!! its one of 2 things, rookies, or profesionals that got it, i keep a spare ball locked inside my tongue, however, that only keeps the honest people out, ive been through this with snowmobiles, they get stolen all the time by low lifes,, i will defintley keep my eyes out up here, i do alot of driving and if i see it, you'll be sure to get it back.. sorry about your loss.

Moody Blu'
04-11-2006, 12:01 AM
i will defintley keep my eyes out up here, i do alot of driving and if i see it, you'll be sure to get it back.. sorry about your loss.

same here, my buddy is in the auto theft division for the state police im sure he would help out if i called him up if i spotted it.

Barry Phillips
04-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I’m sorry to hear about your misfortune, just about every Donzi owner I know take there boats very seriously. Your boat is very unique and special; I would not be surprised if it shows up somewhere. I don’t think it was stolen for the motor or the drive, although that’s a possibility. I also don’t think someone would be dumb enough to post it for sale on the web, but you never know. I just curious why someone would steal one of the most unique 22s in the country, I don’t see how it could be sold or used without red flags going up all over the place.

Good Luck
BP

joel3078
04-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe it's over at this address for some reverse engineering.
1653 Whichards Beach Road
Washington, NC 27889

Ooohh, I'm gonna get struck by lightning for that one!:shocking: :lightning

NYStockboy
04-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe the thief does not realize that this boat is as unique as it actually is, thinking that this is one of the standard color schemes that is offered. I hope you get satisfactory resolution quickly.

Ken

OFT
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
This is my last post on the loss of my boat...No more whining.

Well, the latest is that for starters, Texas Sportfishing and Yacht Sales's insurer, Elton Porter Marine Insurance Agency, declined the claim on the loss of my boat from the dealer's lot in Seabrook. It seems that as the boat was not secured within a security fenced/enclosed area, Texas Sportfishing was not compliant with their policy.

So I have now filed the claim with my carrier who is more than willing to go after the dealership for full re-imbursement. I should have my loan payed and my share of the full value in hand by Wednesday. Finally, after over 2-months of paying for a boat I don't have, it's about over.

Just in case any of you consider dealing with this dealership, when contacted by my adjuster, the owner attempted to have my insurance carrier require me to be held to a replacement only. He said it would be cheaper for him and my insurance company. What a scummy a-hole. He didn't care that I bought this boat because it was a "one-of-a-kind", "...it's just a boat".

So to all of you out there who own "...just a boat", be careful who you deal with even if is just an oil change. This could easily be you.

Guess I'm off to get my Liberator, it's not a Donzi but it's better than dealing with the local rep.

Later

OFT
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Got a phone call from a D.A. in Houston Co., Alabama today. Seems they found my boat 4 years later and have a guy in custody that had sold it to some other people for $20,000 (I gave almost 4-times that). Found out in Alabama you don't need an actual registration from another state to re-register a boat in that state, just a notarized bill of sale. Anyway, they want to fly me up to testify it was my boat and that it had been stolen. I offered to save them money if they would just give me some quality time with the guy but no go, so I agreed to go at their expense.

At the same time, I was getting pretty excited at the prospect of getting my boat back. When I settled with my insurer, Progressive, they agreed that I could have first right-of-refusal if/when the boat was recovered. So much for that idea. The D.A. informed me that before I was contacted, Progressive had already sold the boat to the people that had purchased it hot. Looks like my luck pretty much sucks. I'm still out $1500 and they have a $50-60k "one-of-a-kind" boat. Hope they enjoy it.

fogducker III
01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Wow, the law works in misterious ways eh?

Glad to hear the A-hole was caught, not sure if that was the guy that stole it though? Also glad you were paid out but sad you are actually out of pocket....whats with that?

BUIZILLA
01-21-2010, 07:16 PM
The D.A. informed me that before I was contacted, Progressive had already sold the boat to the people that had purchased it hot. .. you lost me here... :confused:

fogducker III
01-21-2010, 07:28 PM
.. you lost me here... :confused:

Not sure about there, but here, if a buyer buys something in good faith, in other words, if they have no reason to think it is stolen, and it turns out to be stolen, they have the right to ownership, if that means the insurance company settling with them it takes trump on the "agreement" with original owner.........:yes:

BUIZILLA
01-21-2010, 08:08 PM
read his sentence again..:wink:

zelatore
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing since they paid out in the original settlement Progressive had clear title to the boat when it was recovered and chose to sell it to the (illegal) buyer thinking it was a fast and easy way to get rid of it. After all, they don't want to own a boat.

They simply forgot, accidentally or on purpose, about promising first right of refusal to OFT.

gcarter
01-21-2010, 09:22 PM
That's what I was thinking he meant.

BUIZILLA
01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
read it again

Progressive sold the boat to the people that bought it hot?

how can you do that?

fogducker III
01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Under the law, here at least, it is described as, "bought in good faith" in other words, if the buyer buys something under due diiligence then they own the item...........

After that the law decides.............:kingme:

RickSE
01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
The current owner of this boat is on this board.

His first post (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55760)

Named it "Love Me 2 Times" cuz he had to buy it twice, after it was confiscated by the police.

Name Post (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57197&highlight=22+shelby)

oledawg
01-22-2010, 08:13 AM
RedDog is 100% correct in that you should have your own insurance company involved in this. You actually should have done it once you got a police report, but you for sure should do it now, regardless of who eventually is found to be liable. They will help you! :uzi:

Jraysray
01-22-2010, 09:04 AM
So lets here the details on how it got jacked. I am very curious since this is blocks from my house.

Walt. H.
01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
OFT
Maybe this might be of help recovering another 22 SHELBY GT if you still have some of your insurance money?
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/1562140280.html

Carl C
01-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Here in Michigan if you buy a hot car and it shows up later you are out of luck. You lose the car. Boats are no doubt the same. The insurance company owned the boat once they settled the claim. Any first dibs you had was apparently verbal and meant nothing. They sold the boat to Justmercme which was probably the best thing they could have done. Progressive really screwed me on a claim a few years ago and I will never use them again.

JustMercMe
01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Got a phone call from a D.A. in Houston Co., Alabama today. Seems they found my boat 4 years later and have a guy in custody that had sold it to some other people for $20,000 (I gave almost 4-times that). Found out in Alabama you don't need an actual registration from another state to re-register a boat in that state, just a notarized bill of sale. Anyway, they want to fly me up to testify it was my boat and that it had been stolen. I offered to save them money if they would just give me some quality time with the guy but no go, so I agreed to go at their expense.

At the same time, I was getting pretty excited at the prospect of getting my boat back. When I settled with my insurer, Progressive, they agreed that I could have first right-of-refusal if/when the boat was recovered. So much for that idea. The D.A. informed me that before I was contacted, Progressive had already sold the boat to the people that had purchased it hot. Looks like my luck pretty much sucks. I'm still out $1500 and they have a $50-60k "one-of-a-kind" boat. Hope they enjoy it.

OFT, You have an email with my phone number.....I'm the current owner. Would love to talk to you.

OFT
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
JustMercMe, I did'nt see the email. You might try again.

JustMercMe
01-27-2010, 09:46 AM
JustMercMe, I did'nt see the email. You might try again.

I sent it through here.....I'll just shoot you a PM real quick if thats ok....

JustMercMe
01-27-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm guessing since they paid out in the original settlement Progressive had clear title to the boat when it was recovered and chose to sell it to the (illegal) buyer thinking it was a fast and easy way to get rid of it. After all, they don't want to own a boat.

They simply forgot, accidentally or on purpose, about promising first right of refusal to OFT.

We actually had to purchase the boat the second time at auction. We did not deal with Progressive.