PDA

View Full Version : Booking Airline Tickets

Carl C
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
OK, this has nothing to do with boating; Sorry about that. I'm wondering where you guys book airline tix. I've been using www.pinpointtravel.com and have been satisfied but is there a better (cheaper) site?:crossfing

florida gator
03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
I book through www.yourvacationsite.net

The airlines are always going to be close to the same price. When I book there, they send me a commission and then I show my IATA card as I'm boarding and am very likely of getting bumped up to 1 class:yippie:

MOP
03-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I tried the net once all went OK but I had to give themmoreonformation then I care to, also for the next year I got some vacation junk mail it really ticked me off. I calle my old travel agent and she garenteed me she could match any net price, that was about 5 years ago and so far she has kept her word to the penny. She did scrw up on one trip, not bad but an inconvience. I called and crabbed about, she could not do anything about the tickets but gave me her commission back try that online.

Phil

Patti
03-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Before I moved here last spring, I traveled from NYC to here about once a month..sometimes twice..did that for a few years.

I always used Cheaptickets.com or Hotwire..sometimes Orbitz but I didnt like them much.

I also noticed that if I booked last minute..I got good deals..but I wouldn't always recommend doing that http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/smitt3n/Emoticons/Pokez.gif

RedDog
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I fly fairly much - 6 round trips already this year, but always just book my flights online with the airline. But then I'm more concerned with schedule rather than price since my travel is billable to my clients

Schnook
03-09-2006, 10:28 PM
The answer to the question depends on why you're flying. The websites mentioned are probably best for a travel package, but if you're just flying somewhere and back it's hard to beat southwest. Best fares by far, best safety, and best on time record.

McGary911
03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
I've done pretty well with www.sidestep.com . Got great prices on trips to Vegas, St. Cloud and Indianapolis this year.....I have a wedding in St Pete in April, and I'll be using that site to book, I'm sure.

Often, once Sidestep gets the best fares to you, it forwards you to the airlines own site to actually book the tkt.

Rootsy
03-10-2006, 10:59 AM
at one point in my life i spent so much time on airlines that i would now rather drive or take a boat to wherever i need to go... it got to be such a hassle to be gone from home weeks at a time and especially post 9/11... it used to be no hassle now it's a PITA compared to then... guess when it came to booking flights i didn't care about cost... just call the company travel agent... just convenience of departure and return and layover time as well as carrier and routing were my concerns... if i couldn't upgrade to first class i didn't want to take the flight most times... especially if it was more than a couple of hours in the air... money was no object since it was on the companies dime...

Formula Jr
03-11-2006, 08:59 AM
If they serve an airport near you, then just go straight to Jetblue first for a domestic flight. They don't bundle and will not show up on ticket comparison sites but they are the cheapest. I've also learned over time that a good'old travel agent works better most of the time than even the internet stuff.

fasttrucker
03-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Here in md,we have southwest/usa3000/airtran....but you have to spend time on the web sites to fit your needs.Since they dont pay commisions to brokers you have to deal with the internet.I used expedia once for last min. travel and they got me something on us air,cheap.

boldts
03-12-2006, 04:24 PM
off subject - sorry - but have any of you booked a hotel room online only to find that if you had just gone through the hotel by calling them directly, the room is cheaper than the web price? Happened to me on a couple occasions. I now call the hotel directly.

Back to airline tickets.

Carl C
03-12-2006, 07:12 PM
I am lucky to have family in Alaska whom I visit once a year. This is about the extent of my travels. Right now the best deal I've found is NW Airlines @ $512. Nonstop there, 3 flights back. I will take picks of any boating scene stuff I can. Up there, the few lakes are more likely to have floatplanes at the dock than boats. The ocean boats are all center consel boats with enclosed helms to stay warm and dry. When I go in June temps are often in the 80's.:)

Carl C
03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the input but I still got the best deal at pinpoint. It checks all the airlines and booking sites. Try it. The link is in the first post. I just booked my flight to Anchorage on NW Airlines for June. Paid $572 total for non-stop each way. And I got window seats!:yippie:Mop, I love being able to book travel from home. I already have my e-mail confirmation and e-ticket numbers!