PDA

View Full Version : Update

Jamesbon
03-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Had the day off and spent 8 hours getting the engine very close to starting. (before dropping into the boat) I installed the exhaust and new gaskets between the manifold and head, manifold and riser and riser and tail pipe. Installed a few miscellaneous pipe plugs, a mechanical oil pressure gauge, the starter, rear one piece engine mount, flywheel, new flex plate and bell housing. Rigged the starter/solenoid and electric fuel pump to a "key switch" and battery. Spun her over with the spark plugs out to get the oil pressure up and prime the engine. She was showing 40 LBS at cranking speed. Installed the plugs and put her on TDC # 1. Then snugged down the distributor to point to # 1. I was planning to light her off tonight, but forgot the damn coil at home and was also short about 20 feet of water hose I'll need to temporarily plumb the cooling system and a SAE/JIC plug to cap off the dual feed line on the carb. Also, the the #1 and #2 spark plug wires were too F'ing short????? So have to get a couple a little longer. Also have to get the water hose, cap for the fuel line and coil, then I should be all set to dial her in before dropping into "Fat and Lazy."

My plan is run her in without the FWC system installed. Once that's done, I'll mount the extension box and wedge and drive, then start on the engine mounting system and drop the engine in with the FWC tank and circ. pump.

...anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts....my mind is going a hundred miles an hour at the moment.......

MOP
03-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Nate when it starts to come together it all seems to hit at once, then the niggly pigglies drive you nuts. Even though you think you have it all and have rat holed a ton of crap you are always short somethingssssssss!

Phil

Jamesbon
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I know bro.

I spent 2 weeks ordering nuts and bolts and $hit one would never think of needing when putting together something like this.

You're right, those "nickel & dime" things drive you freaking batty!!!

Donzigo
03-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Nate, put the FWC system on in the beginning. You'll be glad you did. Rememebr, there doesn't seem to be time to do it right; but, there is always time to do it over.

Your friend,

Richard

gcarter
03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree with Richard.
Also, when filling, use a 50/50 mix of "pure" water (R.O., distilled, or de-ionized ) to mix the antifreeze with. This is important in a "virgin" engine. It's the best way to totally eliminate potential scaling down the road. PLEASE don't use tap water.

Jamesbon
03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
The tank is still a week away, and I'm minutes away from starting, so I'm going to run her before putting the FWC tank on. Once broken in, I'll fit the tank and probably run again out of the boat. I agree, it does make sense to install out of the boat.

Off to the airport to buy a few gallons of av. gas.... :eek:

pmreed
03-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey Nate, avgas is hard to find at a marina:yes: . I can't wait to see your GT on the water again. Last time I saw it was at our gettogther in Sanford; how many years ago was that?

Phil

Jamesbon
03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Phil,
It's gotta be close to 3 or 4 years....way too long!

....ummm avgas smells good ;)

Donzigo
03-08-2006, 06:00 PM
April of 2000.

Jamesbon
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Ouch.

...Time flies when you're having fun...

joseph m. hahnl
03-08-2006, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Jamesbon] I agree, it does make sense to install out of the boat.
QUOTE]

My Orca didn't fit thru the hatch. I had to take it off and reinstall it after I set the motor in place.

joe

Jamesbon
03-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes, Joseph, that's a looming thought I'm having too. I'm pretty sure the engine will sit tilted back much like that of a straight inboard. My risers are taller than the flame arrestor....so, we'll see. The tank will be externally mounted, so I can keep it low, but she will use an external fill that will need to be higher than anything else...

I'll just have to see when everything's in.