PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Y-Pipes

The Hedgehog
03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Anyone else have this problem? I have been noticing some water in the bilge but it did not seem too bad. It started to escalate so I put it in the lift and listened. That water was really cascading in. I originally thought it to be the bellows but could not find anything there. After pulling the foot my mechanic was able to spray water into the bilge through the exhaust port. After pulling the engine the culprit was exposed. For some reason the bolts had worked themselves loose (lock washer and all). I guess that it is good that nothing was broken but I think that this is kind of wierd that they simply came loose. Has anyone else heard of this happening? The engine has not been out in years.

I wonder if I have been leaking fumes into the compartment? I always run with the diverters open but might have been getting residual fumes under the hatch.

I had planned to remove the system later when I go to headers. Needless to say it is out now! I was kind of hoping to have room in the budget to do a few other fun things but oh well. It would have been a great excuse to do some things next year.

Donzigo
03-06-2006, 08:19 PM
My Y-pipes corroded and leaked too.

My advice, get rid of them.

farmer tx
03-06-2006, 10:44 PM
For some reason when you have switchable exhaust the Y-pipe is prone to loosening. The correct lock washers and Blue locktite should be used.

gcarter
03-07-2006, 04:35 AM
What Mark said.

The Hedgehog
03-07-2006, 05:33 AM
My Y-pipes corroded and leaked too.
My advice, get rid of them.

Like I said, they are out now. They will not get along with the cam I will be using later. I was just hoping that they would wait until I pulled the engine for the cam.

BUIZILLA
03-07-2006, 07:50 AM
check your engine mounts CAREFULLY...

worn out mounts can cause engine torque movement, which WILL loosen those bolts.

JH

Donzigo
03-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Agreed to what has been said. Good point, Buizilla.

Unless you live in an area whereby a switchable exhaust is warranted for sound decidel issues, I think x-ing the y-pipes makes sense. They are going to be a constant source of problems and worry on your part as to what is going on back there.

Then again, who amoung us, doesn't want people to notice that he/she is out there on the water, sporting around in a DONZI? I get those cool comments from my vehicle tag, shirts, travelling bags, and all the stuff I have that says DONZI on it; so, naturally when I'm on the water, I want to make some noise, to announce my coming. Make all the noise you can, and tell em you got the big bad DONZI................

I mentioned about some of the comments I get. So, I meet this guy on a plane and he says: "You got a DONZI?" I reply: "Yes". then, he says: Oh yeah, I travel around the world in my business and I've been to Italy and seen the plant where they are made". I say: "No kidding.............".

CHACHI
03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Unless you live in an area whereby a switchable exhaust is warranted for sound decidel issues, I think x-ing the y-pipes makes sense. They are going to be a constant source of problems and worry on your part as to what is going on back there.
Then again, who amoung us, doesn't want people to notice that he/she is out there on the water, sporting around in a DONZI? I get those cool comments from my vehicle tag, shirts, travelling bags, and all the stuff I have that says DONZI on it; so, naturally when I'm on the water, I want to make some noise, to announce my coming. Make that noise you can, and tell em you got the big bad DONZI................
I mentioned about some of the comments I get. So, I meet this guy on a plane and he says: "You got a DONZI?" I reply: "Yes". then, he says: Oh yeah, I travel to world in my business .............I've been to Italy and seen the plant where they make them". I say: "No kidding.............".Seeing how my last name ends in a vowel, my family took a trip back to homeland last spring. In the town of Modena,( where Enzo is from) there is a street named via DONZI. It is located in the center of town. Maybe this is why the guy on the plane was "confused"...........................NOT. Ken
PS I took a photo of thr street sign if I can find it I will post it.

The Hedgehog
03-07-2006, 11:45 AM
check your engine mounts CAREFULLY...
worn out mounts can cause engine torque movement, which WILL loosen those bolts.
JH

I looked at them and nothing looked unusual. Is there anything special to look at or any certain measurements? I considered ordering billet mounts but it just did not seem worth the $50 for a little extra bling. I guess that I should have.

My mechanic told me that the bolts were loose. Not terribly loose but not exactly torqued right. That may have been part of my problem.

If torque movement was a problem, then what other bolts should I check?

The Hedgehog
03-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Then again, who amoung us, doesn't want people to notice that he/she is out there on the water, sporting around in a DONZI? I get those cool comments from my vehicle tag, shirts, travelling bags, and all the stuff I have that says DONZI on it; so, naturally when I'm on the water, I want to make some noise, to announce my coming. Make that noise you can, and tell em you got the big bad DONZI................
I mentioned about some of the comments I get. So, I meet this guy on a plane and he says: "You got a DONZI?" I reply: "Yes". then, he says: Oh yeah, I travel to world in my business .............I've been to Italy and seen the plant where they make them". I say: "No kidding.............".

I took the baffle tips off and went to straight tips as well. I am thinking that a set of headers will enhance the sound even more. I will hold out as long as the noise police down here in Bama continue to leave me alone. I think that I have a good while until noise enforcement on my lake becomes an issue. When it becomes absolutely necessary I will go to some of those mufflers that guarantee no power loss.

You have the real setup. The only thing that sounds better than a big block is two big blocks!

That is some funny stuff about those Italian Donzi's. I probably don't help people like that. I am almost always totally honest about the top speed question unless I have a real zero hit me with a "how fast do it go?" Then I am liable to say "about 100mph!"

Donzigo
03-08-2006, 08:56 AM
..............I usually ask, how fast do you think it will go? They say - about 98 MPH. Then, I'll say: "How did you know...........it's actually just over 120MPH. Makes them smile everytime.

Truth is, my 1989 Z-33 was designed to do 60 MPH and even with the rip old age on her, she does by my GPS, exactly 60 MPH. But, oh what a great 60 MPH it is.

The Hedgehog
03-09-2006, 07:09 AM
..............I usually ask, how fast do you think it will go? They say - about 98 MPH. Then, I'll say: "How did you know...........it's actually just over 120MPH. Makes them smile everytime.
Truth is, my 1989 Z-33 was designed to do 60 MPH and even with the rip old age on her, she does by my GPS, exactly 60 MPH. But, oh what a great 60 MPH it is.

That is a good one. I will use that sometime.

Nothing wrong with 60mph in style. I would imagine that your boat will run a good 60 in a number of conditions. I always liked the Z-33. I considered looking into them a few times but did not feel that I was quite ready for twins. I am sure that it will happen one day.