PDA

View Full Version : Helm Choices

Rootsy
03-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Need to pick up a helm for the 18... pretty much narrowed it down to a Teleflex Big T... or i've heard madpoodle mention Uflex in the past but i don't know much about them, or where to easily aquire one...

opinions, options, thoughts, suggestions appreciated...

i'll be running an external single ram hydraulic like i am on the 16 right now...

thanks eh

JR

Rootsy
03-06-2006, 09:05 AM
fire me a price via email please... for the Uflex... i'll get a cable length if it is measured the same way as the teleflex cables are measured, otherwise toss this dog a bone... merc setup bravo P/S connection for the cable end...

and will the chrome teleflex bezel from the old donzi's work on this thing? i know you can get the uflex in 90 or 20 degree right?

thanks chief

ITTLFLI
03-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Roots,

I am not sure what I have... but whatever I took out of my 1994 I will sell you cheap. Its in good shape. If your interested I will check and see what it is.

Byron

Greg K
03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
fire me a price via email please... for the Uflex... i'll get a cable length if it is measured the same way as the teleflex cables are measured, otherwise toss this dog a bone... merc setup bravo P/S connection for the cable end...
and will the chrome teleflex bezel from the old donzi's work on this thing? i know you can get the uflex in 90 or 20 degree right?
thanks chief
Really pleased with the Uflex and feel it's superior to Teleflex. Best price I've found here (http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11458_UFLEX_Rotech_Rotary_Boat_Steering_Sy stem.html)
Chrome bezel may fit...I know the bezel that comes with the Uflex is attached to the dash and not the helm itself. Then again, you could make something custom yourself..:p

Lenny
03-06-2006, 12:13 PM
OK, I am lost now. Greg, aren't we talking about a full hydraulic set-up, in which case the helm would be a pump would it not?

Driving a pair of lines (hydraulic) back to the steering ram on the outside of the transom?

What am I missing here?

Rootsy
03-06-2006, 12:15 PM
no lenny... mechanical cable helm... which will act just like stock steering but instead of the ram on the inside of the boat the proportioning valve at the transom assy will actuate a hydraulic valve on the outside of the boat...

Lenny
03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Got it. I am obviously thinking about full hydraulic.
http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Controls/hydraulic-steering-hardin.htm

I am soo used to seeing a "tiller" arm on my Volvo, I couldn't figure it out.

In other words, with the LATHAM piece Poodle is having made, I will obviously be replacing my helm with a Hydraulic unit. (pump)

tmdog
03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Rootsy - Don't mean to jack your thead but the subject is the steering helm. The steering shaft moves up and down about a 1/2 in. Should that be reason for concern? It is stock on a 88 D-18 C. The Uflex looks good and so does the price. Anyone?

Greg K
03-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Rootsy - Don't mean to jack your thead but the subject is the steering helm. The steering shaft moves up and down about a 1/2 in. Should that be reason for concern?

Yes...
:eek:

Greg K
03-06-2006, 06:19 PM
I havent priced out the Uflex yet.. Interesting that River has it for the same price no matter what cable you spec?? :boggled:
J, what valve on transom? Mine just uses the brazil valve....

I know when I bought mine from somewhere else at the time...it was the same price for all lengths as well.

Rootsy
03-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I havent priced out the Uflex yet.. Interesting that River has it for the same price no matter what cable you spec?? :boggled:
J, what valve on transom? Mine just uses the brazil valve....

Poodle,

if your price is within striking distance you get my business...

brazil valve on my bravo transom also... (the proportioning valve and cylinder as one integrated unit).

cable length as measured for a teleflex rotary I/O is (A+B+C-6)/12 and round up to next nearest foot... length required is 15 ft.

thank you and please pull forward

Rootsy
03-06-2006, 09:39 PM
let me know how much and when i can have er sir... cash, visa, mastercard, paypal, check via slow boat to china? name your choice...

and no one answered me... will that helm cover from the teleflex work with this thing and the original covico wheel?
thank ya kids

Rootsy
03-06-2006, 09:53 PM
thanks scott...

Lenny
03-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Interesting flooring Jamie... :yes: What, a Brazilian Walnut inlay in White Birch?

blueliner
03-07-2006, 01:23 AM
poodle, any word form latham on my dual ram hydraulic setup??? call me 604-506-6552

thanks poodle

Greg K
03-07-2006, 07:13 AM
let me know how much and when i can have er sir... cash, visa, mastercard, paypal, check via slow boat to china? name your choice...
and no one answered me... will that helm cover from the teleflex work with this thing and the original covico wheel?
thank ya kids

I thought I did somewhat above in another post...looking at it now, I'd say not.

tmdog
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
... will that helm cover from the teleflex work with this thing and the original covico wheel?
thank ya kids

That question has not been answered. I'd like too know also.

Greg K
03-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Not knowing how the Teleflex bezel is attached or fitted to the original....I'm not sure it's not going to work out with the Uflex helm unless you figure out a way to attach the bezel to the dash.
As for the steering wheel hub and steering wheel, it'll fit the shaft on the Uflex helm.

Rootsy
03-07-2006, 03:00 PM
i'll be sure to let you kids know how it fits since i won the auction...

blueliner
03-07-2006, 03:12 PM
don't know. did you get the picture i sent you. it is a standard bravo one x drive 2005 model year. i will be at my cottage the rest of the week. 360-945-1413 call me there and lets talk
Funny you should mention that, your # is on top of my desk to call this AM.. Well, PM really since you 29 hrs behind us or something :eek: :eek:
I got you info today whilst ordering the Volvo wnig plates :) :)
Only thing I am not sure of, your drive does have the finned top cap correct?

Lenny
03-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for ordering the wingplates Poodle :)

mrfixxall
03-09-2006, 09:30 PM
thank ya kids
NO THE UFLEX HAS A 3 BOLT MOUNTING TO THE HELM BEZEL,THE BIG T USES 4 BOLTS....YOU MAY HAVE TO REDRILL THE HOLES IN THE HELM BEZEL...