PDA

View Full Version : is it true ?

customman
03-05-2006, 02:03 PM
i just talked to a sales person about a new 22 shelby, in our conversation he told me that donzi has changed "something" ,and the 06 models are running 80 mph with a 496 ho and bravo1 x drive .i have an 03 496 ho, in my 22 and i'm hitting 74, on the best of days .can anyone confirm this romor ?about the 80 mph "because i want to believe " ,i like the looks of the silver and black shelby gt with the subtle changes,, hatch scoop , interior ,ext but what could they have done to get those gains without changing the hull or horse power?

Greg K
03-05-2006, 03:18 PM
The X-Dim has been raised a couple of inches from what most have seen.

MOP
03-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Two beauties but notice the exhaust almost touching the rail, the width of the hatch scoop, room for risers. Even though the pic angle is bad look how high the drive is.

Phil

ChromeGorilla
03-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Yes the the X dimension was raised 2" on the SHELBY models. 80 is slightly optomistic, possible, but 78 is what I was told at the show by the Donzi folks. The raised X was the reason for the hatch scoop. The Shelby is the only one with the raised X dim...... so yes you do get a little more performance for dropping extra coin.

gcarter
03-05-2006, 06:41 PM
So is the transom painted?

blackhawk
03-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey Scott you have a close up of this pic? :D

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18470&d=1140405434

Dr. Dan
03-05-2006, 09:25 PM
So is the transom painted?

George the finish work on these things is disappointing especially for the money they are asking, I mean how tough is it to paint it with out the Tips on it? The Atlantic City Boat was a joke, the overspray was soooo obvious it was embarrassing.

Maybe they are all just being rushed out for the Boat Shows, but man...looks bad.

MOP those photos or at least the one on the right does not appear to be raised X. Not compared to Poodles Microscopic Post?

Very interesting, wonder if these higher X Boats Sky into the air like other higher X Boats? Or how they handle. Too early to tell.

Interesting though.

Doc :shades:

MOP
03-06-2006, 06:08 AM
MOP those photos or at least the one on the right does not appear to be raised X. Not compared to Poodles Microscopic Post?

You got that right pics were for comparison, they show the difference.

Phil

RickSE
03-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Picture on the right is Blueliner's 2005 Aronow with standard X-dim.

The paint quality on my 2002 is the same. Donzi fully rigs these boats then rolls them into the paint shop. My exhaust tips look just like the ones in Poodle's picture with an obvious mask line. Replacing the tips is a pain since it may cause the paint to peel and you hope the new tip flange is the same size or bigger or you'll have a white ring around your tips.

Good luck with a 2" up X-dim and a Mirage+ prop, it's gonna porpoise like mad with this combo. My 1.5" up 22 needs aggressive tabs until it breaks 70 with the M+ prop. Donzi really needs to consider offering these boats with a different prop, which they'll never do since Merc. would have a %&$# fit.

I agree with Chrome, "close" to 80 in saltwater.

The real question is what will a HP525 GT do with a 2" up X-dim and will anyone ever order one? I say 87-88 MPH and a retail over $100K with a trailer, i.e. mine was 82 MPH in saltwater at $97K retail w/trailer.

Johntrip
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I spoke to Frank at the Miami Boat Show. He told me Undertakers 22 classic hit the 80 mph mark on his gps when he sold it to him..... Stock out the door......

Pismo
03-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Needs a labbed Bravo 1 26-28"ish prop and a 2" shimmed to 1.5" shorty lower sportmaster or imco. Leave the engine and exhaust low.

customman
03-06-2006, 06:15 PM
thanks for all your input , if the salesman can make the numbers work some of you will see me on winni lets all pray for no speed limit ,thanks again my fellow classic pilots!

undertaker
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
:D
I spoke to Frank at the Miami Boat Show. He told me Undertakers 22 classic hit the 80 mph mark on his gps when he sold it to him..... Stock out the door......

When I sea trailed my new 22 we hit 80 mph SPEEDO:D not GPS in saltwater with Frank C. driving less than 1/2 tank of fuel. We made two speed runs at 80 mph SPEEDO that day. Frank knows how to run a Donzi:eek: :eek: :D

Since then I have only seen 74-75 mph SPEEDO freshwater with stock Merc prop. I have installed a GPS speedo in the boat over the winter months (thanks Jaime Lakeside Resto:D :D ) sooo we shall see what she does this summer with a new 25 pitch turbo prop.

IMO a 22 classic regular or shelby edititon needs more than a raised X it needs more horsepower...:uzi: :uzi: to run 80 GPS consistantly. But I am a newbie to the 22 classic scene so I will not comment and further:D .

Undertaker:wavey:

PS Now maybe new CMI exhaust and the right prop and saltwater might get you real close to that magic 80 MPH number, hold on I need to call Jaime @ Lakeside to order my new exhaust:D :boggled: :D :boggled: :wavey: :wavey:

ChromeGorilla
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
customman.... you NEED to talk to ShanghaidAgain.......... aka Frank Civitano @ Typhoon Performance marine.... he WILL take care of you! Give him a call.... I bet you like what you hear....

Woodsy
03-07-2006, 07:43 AM
CustomMan

Ping me a PM when your going to be in town! I live right near the NASWA...

I would love to a Shelby 22C on Winni...

Woodsy

Pismo
03-07-2006, 10:05 AM
From what I have read here, those muffler tailpipes are costing top speed by a 1-3mph. I don't know why Donzi installs those AND switchable exhaust. They are so unecessary when you have the ultimate muffler already installed, switchable exhaust. If no switchable exhaust then the muffler tailpipes are great. The boats here on the registry with straight tailpipes always seem to have a little more on top. BTW, my speedo reads about 2-3 mph high at top speed, count on GPS only. My GPS is 74-75 while my speedo says 77-78mph. A 525 with a shorty and hydraulic steering, maybe even ITS, would be a great setup but it would cost twice what the boat is worth.

Shanghied Again
03-07-2006, 10:23 AM
The 22 Classic with the new Bravo drive all run around 74-76 mph, I have not tested the 22 Shelby yet but with higher X I am figuring around 76-78 mph,