PDA

View Full Version : BMW brake dust

2biguns
03-04-2006, 07:59 AM
A friend of ours referred to Amy's Yukon XL as a "school bus" and the gloves were off. She threatened to start driving my truck if we did not find her something sportier so we leased an X5 which we adore.
The problem is the stinking brake dust, especially on the front wheels. I'm such a fanatic about keeping our vehicles clean and this is driving me nuts. I bought a gallon of pretty neat wheel cleaner from an Internet site (can't remember the brand but it smells fruity and seems to work) but I'm getting tired of spending more time cleaning the wheels than it takes to wash my Super Duty F250:banghead:
Does anybody have any tricks?

BERTRAM BOY
03-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Steve,
Try this link. They make a great cleaner for Mercedes-Benz wheels.
I believe they also will work for BMW and Volvo wheels. I'm very happy with their product.

http://www.ardexlabs.com/

Dr. Dan
03-04-2006, 08:54 AM
:spongebob I use McGuires "Hot Rims" its in a brite purple plastic spray bottle.

It always amazes me to see people drive 4 wheel disc brake vehicles, and they tend to be nicer cars on average, and they let their wheels go, they look like crap fast.

But nothing ruins a cars appearence easier than dirty wheels or tires....it's like wearing dress clothes with work boots.

I have never understood it. The BMW is a great vehicle, I made my wife keep a small care kit in a little bucket in her car, she has to also keep it clean ....even though I am the Detail Freak.

I have the same problem with my Z 71 Suburban, as long as I wash it once a week or so, the wheeels aren't that bad to maintain. I also use a California Water Blade, surgical silicone, screeds the water off the finish, then follow it up with a nice Thick Micro Fiber Cloth. My vehicles are almost always thought & seen of as pretty clean...it's difficult in winter, but it can be done.

Trick is wash it at night when the snow melt is frozen, then ya can drive home and it doesn't get splashed. Makes my neighbors nuts.

But in Sales ya can't show up in a filthy vehicle....:beer:

Doc of Bling Baby!:spongebob

BUIZILLA
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
We had an X5 for 3 years, other than the steering effort being ridiculously stiff, and the brake dust, it was our favorite small SUV so far. She now drives a Lexus RX330... there are dustless pads on the market, but BMW frowns on them, cause they wear the rotors out quicker... my daughters 325CI is ridiculous for brake dust, but she doesn't care... check out Kleen Wheels for the dust disc's, they work great.

JH

MOP
03-04-2006, 09:37 AM
On my old Audi on the advice of one of their shop guys tried a set of vented aluminum shields that go in behind the wheels they totaly eliminated the dust. Like a dumby I left them on it when I sold it I now need a new set for the new Audi, its wheels look like carp witin a few days.

Phil

MOP
03-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Jim I was posting the same time as you, but anyway here is the link for Kleen Wheels and they do work great.

Phil

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/basket.php?brandid=474&partid=693&makeid=27&modelid=381&year=2005

2biguns
03-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for all the tips.
My only fear with the inside caps is that it seems it would impede the air flow to the brakes.
We've just got over a 1000 miles on the BMW and the dust is getting better as the pads break in. I've got a large soft-bristle brush that fits inside the large wheel openings and then a smaller, stiffer one I use for the smaller slits and all the creases. If Amy would quit driving the dang thing like a Ferrari the dust issue would probably take care of itself:shocking:
Great thing about the new BMW warranty is that for the first 50,000 miles we buy gas and tires and that's it. Everything else included. We went with a 3 year/10,000 mile per year lease and at the end of the lease we can buy it and convert it into a BMW certified used vehicle and get an extra 50,000 mile warranty (2 yrs) on top of the 4 yr/50,0000 factory warranty. We went with the 3.0 engine and I have no complaints at all.
Thanks again. Now, back to boating...