PDA

View Full Version : Prop

dubberstuff
03-02-2006, 11:09 PM
What kind of high performance prop can I fit on a 250 outdrive??? Everything on this 1968 18' is original but I would like a stainless steal prop that may give me a little more speed when I want it.

Thanks,

Ward

dubberstuff
03-03-2006, 08:48 AM
thanks for the help.

boldts
03-04-2006, 08:41 AM
dubber, Your biggest issue here is going to be the left hand rotation of the prop on your current setup. Prop turns left because driver is on the left hand side. Now, if you always have other people in the boat with you, it really doesn't matter which way the prop turns. If you didn't know, to change the direction of your prop rotation on a 250 Volvo is a simple remove the drive cover (2 allen wrench screws) You'll see a rod running from the top of the drive as you look at it down to a linkage where the shift cable comes into the drive. (A pic here would say a 1000 words. Wish I had one from my 69' H/M 18' Classic) Simply move this rod by taking out 2 cotter pins and replace it on the other side. The way it is currently. Your drive will now be able to turn a right hand prop and move the boat forward. If you leave this rod on it's current side and put a right hand prop on the boat, your throttle will now have to be worked opposite. Pull back for forward, push forward for reverse. This would be ok for test runs of a right hand prop, but it can be confusing if your not used to operating the boat in this manor.

Back when I had my 18' Classic, I worked with a prop shop here in Columbus to put a stainless Michigan Wheel prop on my boat. The prop had a long hub vs the short hub prop you are probably running now. So, it required the short cone and I had to drill and tap a lock down bolt hole in the prop shaft. This has all been discussed here over the years I've been visiting this site so you should be able to find it by using the search feature. If not, no time like the present to open up a Volvo here's how thread. BTW, welcome to the Donzi family. You've purchased a beautiful 18' Classic and to have the H/M upgrade makes it just one more step better in my opinion. Hope to have the opportunity to see the boat and meet you in person some day.

dubberstuff
03-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Would a prop like the one listed below fit on a volvo 250 outdrive?

http://motors.search.ebay.com/left-prop_Boats-Parts_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQ coentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfcclZ1QQfclZ3QQfg tpZQQfposZ11030QQfromZR2QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2Q QftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQlopgZQQsacatZ26443QQsadisZ200QQsa prchiZQQsaprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQ sofocusZunknown

Also, what are the pros and cons of a three blade v. a four blade prop?

If a Mercury prop would not fit on a volvo 250 outdrive couldn't I just have a custom left turning prop made for my outdrive?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Ward

boldts
03-04-2006, 03:53 PM
If your link was to the left hand stainless prop for sale, your going to need more pitch than 18". The 14" dia. is just about right, but you'll need a 21, 22 or 23" pitch. That was another problem when I changed mine. All that was available was a 21" pitch. Usually you can only change a stainless by 1" plus or minus. Like I said, I was working with a prop shop that used to working on custom props for race boats. We were able to stretch the pitch to about 22.5" and added cup to the ends of the blades to get it right into the correct RPMs.

3 blade prop should in most cases be faster than a 4 blade. However, many of the high horse power Classics are running a 4 blade for the stability they also offer at higher speeds.

A member here named Big Grizzly had Solas props available for the Volvo drives. From what I heard, they worked really well. You might look Randy up and see if he still has that connection. Haven't heard from Grizzly in a while, so I hope he is doing ok. Randy is kinda set in his ways, but he's been around Donzi boats forever and knows his stuff.

Good luck in setting your Classic up!

dubberstuff
03-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Sorry for the confusing link. Here is the specific prop I was refering to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marine-Bravo-I-Stainless-Steel-Boat-Prop-Left_W0QQitemZ4618127262QQcategoryZ26456QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this Mercury, or any Mercury prop, fit my 250?

Thanks,

Ward

LKSD
03-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Sorry for the confusing link. Here is the specific prop I was refering to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marine-Bravo-I-Stainless-Steel-Boat-Prop-Left_W0QQitemZ4618127262QQcategoryZ26456QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Would this Mercury, or any Mercury prop, fit my 250?
Thanks,
Ward

Ward the Mercury props will not work & the hubs are too large. I may still be able to get the ss props from Volvo for that unit. Jaime / Lakeside

dubberstuff
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Ward the Mercury props will not work & the hubs are too large. I may still be able to get the ss props from Volvo for that unit. Jaime / Lakeside

What pitch would the ss prop have? What kind of performance will it deliver? I will mostly be using the existing prop but I would like a high performance prop for times when I want to go a little faster.

-Ward

LKSD
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Volvo does not have the ss left anymore for those drives.. My Bad.. They do have it in aluminum up to 21p. Or I could get a michigan one up to 21 p in ss. If you want to go beyond that the prop must be tweaked or custom made. Let me know if I can help you further.. Jamie

DON N.
03-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I Still Have A Bronze Prop I Bought For The Boat For A 250 Drive , Left Hand Rotation , I Never Used It . If Your Going To The Dust Off I'll Bring It And See If That's What You Want .

dubberstuff
03-11-2006, 07:00 AM
I Still Have A Bronze Prop I Bought For The Boat For A 250 Drive , Left Hand Rotation , I Never Used It . If Your Going To The Dust Off I'll Bring It And See If That's What You Want .

That sounds good. Do you know what pitch is on that prop?

Thanks.

DON N.
03-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Bronze Lh 14x22 For Volvo Hub Short Shaft Off A 250 . No
Dings , Looks Great .