PDA

View Full Version : Minx Cored Hull?????

joseph m. hahnl
03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Glue in transducer: I got the Hawkeye today .The transducer it came with cant shoot thru a cored hull. Is the Minx cored under the motor? Where is the best place to glue it down? Should I put it all the towards the transom? off center,On center? I know I need to test it before I permenatley glue it down. But a good starting point would be greaty appreciated.

joe

MOP
03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
The hull is not cored, the coring is limited to the deck. Mount it well aft so it does not air out at speed.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
03-02-2006, 07:21 PM
The hull is not cored, the coring is limited to the deck. Mount it well aft so it does not air out at speed.
Phil

Thanks Phil: will the center strake cause air around it? should i set it slightly off center?

MOP
03-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Off setting it will have little to no effect on how well it reads depth, the transducers cone angle is fairy wide.

Phil

Donzigo
03-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Ditto to what Phil said.

JPR
03-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Get the unit all hooked up, put the transducer in a baggie full of water or mineral oil and move the transducer around until you get readings that you are happy with, when you epoxy it in place, be very carefull to ensure that there are no air bubbles in the epoxy.

Donzigo
03-03-2006, 12:34 AM
FYI: Cut a foam coffee cup to hold the epoxy, when you do the final job.

MOP
03-03-2006, 06:38 AM
To be honest I do not like epoxying them in, I have had several come loose for one reason or another. Sometimes a chunk of the face stays behind making it near impossible to get them cleaned up good enough to re use. I stick with silicone presents no problems cleaning and re attaching if it breaks loose, it seems to hold just as well. Another plus for silicone is if it has to be moved due to something causing bad readings it is a snap.

Phil

JPR
03-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Any tricks to using silicone in thay application? I think that is great advice if the transducer reads through the silicone well.

DonziJon
03-03-2006, 02:57 PM
In my case, the transducer is epoxied to the inside of the hull in the foreward end of the engine room on centerline. (Minx) The epoxy comes in the box with the unit. Just hand sand the inside hull surface to get the shine off, mix up the epoxy and smear it over the face of the transducer and stick it on. It works at All speeds. Seaweed on the lake bottom sometimes causes it to lose the signal temporarily.

Keep in mind though.. At Speed, the reading you just saw on the readout is already 200 yards BEHIND you.

BEFORE I committed to the epoxy, I picked up a 3" PVC pipe "joint" at the hardware store and glued it to the hull with silicone in the proposed location to make a little temporary "Well" to hold water. Drop the transducer in the well and improvise a method to keep it submerged. Take the boat out for a few trips just to make sure the location is solid. As stated in another post, any Air or Voids in the laminate, or Coring in the laminate will disable the signal.

John

MOP
03-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Any tricks to using silicone in thay application? I think that is great advice if the transducer reads through the silicone well.

For initial prep I lightly brass wool the surface and clean both surfaces with acetone, on the low side of where the transducer will be mounted I apply a bead of silicone the bead and let it cure it will stop the transducer from sliding down when you set it in place. I carefully to avoid bubbles, I set the transducing down tilted and rock it to meet the surface forcing out excess the silicone. Silicone take over night to set where as Epoxy will set much quicker, either product will do a good job.

Phil

Dalelama
03-04-2006, 09:17 AM
We glued the Livorsi thru-hull Xducer centerline, just in front of the motor in Kenny's MINX.... still holding tight, great read-outs... a bit unreliable @ 60+mph... but ya shouldn't be going that fast unless ya know where you're going!

joseph m. hahnl
03-04-2006, 10:16 AM
thanks to all the info: This Norcross reads 4 times per second and in the right place can read up 73MPH. they do how ever say specifically not to use any thing but epoxy to glue it down. I am planning on the bag trick I just wanted a good place to start.
"You All now it sucks to get in and out beside the motor"

I would prefer to put in behind the motor so as not to interfear with oil changing buckets." oil spills in the bilge are a Btch to clean up"

Once again thanks to everyone . You advise is greatly appreciated and valued.

joe