Volvo 250 Outdrive
2000 Performance Trailer

Hull No.
C18-250

Outdrive No.
B221037

Engine No.
B8HM-2375-1-R/W

This boat is in great condition. Everything on it is original (including the gelcoat) except for two gauges, which I am in the process of trying to replace (trying to find out if they are stewart warner or teleflex and where I might find some to replace the existing ones). I am also in the process of having the seats reupholstered back to the original black. I know it may get hot but I am a purist and would like to keep this boat as close to original as possible. Anyway, I would like to thank all those on the registry for providing invaluable information in my quest to find a boat like this. Here are some pics...more coming soon.

Thanks,

Ward

boatnut
03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Great find!! We literally have the sister-ship (C-18-292) with all the same stuff and orig gelcoat etc. Black is the only way to go on the seats --- it stays new looking forever and a beach-towel solves the heat problem. I am trying to get the time/courage to start the gas tank replacement, no leaks or symptoms but the stories on this site have me convinced it is worth doing. Great boat, you will love it. I purchased mine in '71 and it hasn't missed a season yet with the original engine (a few valve jobs, lower end never apart) and the original 250 drive.

Reedy
03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Do either of you guys know what year, if any, that boat was offered with a V-drive? Way back it seems there was a yellow w/black stripe V-drive on Lake Conroe in South Texas, and I am just curious to the rarity of that boat today.
Both your Classics are awesome!

dubberstuff
03-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Great find!! We literally have the sister-ship (C-18-292) with all the same stuff and orig gelcoat etc. Black is the only way to go on the seats --- it stays new looking forever and a beach-towel solves the heat problem. I am trying to get the time/courage to start the gas tank replacement, no leaks or symptoms but the stories on this site have me convinced it is worth doing. Great boat, you will love it. I purchased mine in '71 and it hasn't missed a season yet with the original engine (a few valve jobs, lower end never apart) and the original 250 drive.

Your boat looks great. In fact I am pretty sure I emailed you to ask about the gauges in your boat. I am trying to get the make, model and part no. for the original gauges. I would appreciate any info. Thanks for the help.

-Ward

Sam
03-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Sweet ride, love the matching trailer :smile: .

Sam

hardcrab
03-02-2006, 03:16 PM
MAN ,, very sweet classics ............... i'm hoping my '66 will look like that soon.

and the GMC for a tow vehicle won't require extra help at the ramp :D

boatnut
03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Your boat looks great. In fact I am pretty sure I emailed you to ask about the gauges in your boat. I am trying to get the make, model and part no. for the original gauges. I would appreciate any info. Thanks for the help.
-Ward
Didn't get an email, but the gauges are Teleflex (pic attached) I looked in the back and couldn't see any numbers but due to the dash cutout not much of the gauges are visable. The tach may also be Teleflex but the H&M insignia probably hides the original label?? I know you are a purist but S & W gauges may be a better way to go and the look is similar to the Teleflex --- also if you want to stray from original consider a black wheel which would look great with your black seats and boat colors -- my boat had a white wheel originally and it just didn't look right. I guess you know that the company (Bilt Rite I think) that made seats for Donzi is still available -- we had them make all new upholstry for us about 10 years ago -- they do a great job at a fair price.

dubberstuff
03-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Didn't get an email, but the gauges are Teleflex (pic attached) I looked in the back and couldn't see any numbers but due to the dash cutout not much of the gauges are visable. The tach may also be Teleflex but the H&M insignia probably hides the original label?? I know you are a purist but S & W gauges may be a better way to go and the look is similar to the Teleflex --- also if you want to stray from original consider a black wheel which would look great with your black seats and boat colors -- my boat had a white wheel originally and it just didn't look right. I guess you know that the company (Bilt Rite I think) that made seats for Donzi is still available -- we had them make all new upholstry for us about 10 years ago -- they do a great job at a fair price.

I saw this Stewart Warner gauge set on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4616999065&indexURL=1&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

It looks like this set has all the necessary gauges except for the "Amp" gauge. Do you think I could use the "Alternator" gauge that is in the set or should I just wait until I find an "Amp" gauge.

Thanks for all of your help.

Regards,

Ward

penbroke
03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
think that is an amp gauge judging by the numbers
Yup. That's what it looks like.

Frank
Nice boat by the way...

dubberstuff
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Which gauges were mechanical and which were electrical in the original set up? I know the water temperature gauge was originally mechanical but I am not sure about the oil pressure, tach and amp.

boatnut
03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Which gauges were mechanical and which were electrical in the original set up? I know the water temperature gauge was originally mechanical but I am not sure about the oil pressure, tach and amp.

I believe all the gauges on my '69 are electrical (I'm certain the amp gauge is:smile: ). Being you are collecting opinions: I would opt for new marine rated gauges that look good and fit in the original panel and not worry about perfectly matching what was there as the Donzi factory used different gauges at different times anyway. I also would go for a voltmeter instead of an ampmeter to monitor your battery/charging system. I think they tell you more about what is going on (e.g. it is clear if you are measuring 14+ volts that the alternator is putting out) and most importantly the voltage type gauge does not require that you send charging current all the way through the dash gauge as some of the older gauges do. A bad connection or wire or amp gauge will result in a boat electrical problem --- the voltage type meter failure has a very low probability of ever causing an electrical problem. Ed

CHACHI
03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Ward, great looking boat. Good luck with it. Are you from Stowe VT. Shouldn't you be skiing instead of trying to get boat parts? Ken

dubberstuff
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Ward, great looking boat. Good luck with it. Are you from Stowe VT. Shouldn't you be skiing instead of trying to get boat parts? Ken

I like to do both. It turns out that just down the road from Stowe there is a reservoir that is nestled in between the mountains. It is a runoff resevoir so recreational uses (including power boating) are permitted. However, not very many people know about it so it is usually quiet and calm or at least it was. It may be a little less quiet and a little less calm this summer with my donzi in there. Anyway, I am a developer/project manager for new mixed use project at the mountain (hotel, homesites, dublexes, retail, performing arts center, golf course, clubhouse.). The mountain resort is undergoing a $300million dollar renovation and will become a true four season resort.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.

Regards,

Ward

LKSD
03-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Ward, nice new ride.. It will be a lot of fun for you.. Its like driving a Porsche... Jamie / lakeside :)

Silver Bullet
03-05-2006, 07:36 AM
True Classics! Congrats to both of you!:boat:

JimG
03-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Great looking boat, Dubberstuff!

My gauges were a mismatch when I bought my boat, so I went with Teleflex HD's. They look great.

Enjoy your boats!

JimG

penbroke
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
We'll be watching for you out on the lake...

Frank

dubberstuff
03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the help and invaluable donzi info. When I start the boat this spring I will surely be recording and hopefully I will be able to post a video on the registry.

superhatz
03-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Great looking 18!!!!

I was hoping the new owner would appreciate the original condition.

P.S........the white steering wheel is the only way....:)