PDA

View Full Version : Into every life a little rain must fall.

onesubdrvr
03-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Well,

Things at home now aren't how I envisioned they would be. Not that things are bad, just different. It is this difference that has bought a little rain into "my" world.

Momma is a little flustered with the amount of $ that has been spent on Donzi's the past year or so, and quite frankly, has lost her enjoyment of boating because of it, and the rumble of the engine in the beast. Between that, and the impracticality of owning a 60+mph boat with a family of 6 soon to be 7, (two of which will be climbing curtains), I have decided (remorsefully) to sell both my Donzi's in favor of a deck or pontoon boat.

This does not mean that I'm gonna stop coming to the board or events (for those of you wishing I would stop, my apologies), just that I'm putting my go-fast boat plans on hold for a few years (at least 8). I'll still plan on making some of the SeaDog events in whatever I have for a boat, Hey, I can be cooler B!+(# !!, and roast some hot dogs or what ever, maybe sell 'em for a buck a piece and add to the mason jar burried in the back yard. I will have a speedy Donzi again some day, but for now, I'll shove money in the jar, and get a true family boat.

Now what that means for those interested, is I'll be getting rid of the X, no proffit, what I paid for it $5,000 (or higher offers, but not lower), that includes the 280 drive with tilt / trim and a 23" Thrasher Prop. The stringers need work, but the deck is in good shape, pictures via e-mail (or you can search the threads here for 'em) upon request. Ed, I'll shoot 'ya a P/M on that 26" prop I picked up if your still interested. Also, I'll refresh my ad on my 22" turbo OMC prop. I'd be willing to part with the engine from the Ragazza for someone to put in the X - $3500.00 should make a nice combination, and I'd love to see what I could have had. Anyone interested in doing some kind of trade with a deck / toon boat or something similar, let me know, I'll be intereted in that as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate for money or anything, so I'm not going to sell at some rediculous amount, and if need be, I'll keep it covered, and put pennies into it when I can.

The Ragazza well, we'll wait and see what happens with the X which I've already given someone first shot at it, and we'll see what happens there. I've priced, and am considering purchasing a used 4.3l chebby to re-install into the Ragazza before selling, if I do, price on the Ragazza will be $6,000. If it goes with the engine in it now, I'll have to see where I want to be probably rock bottom of around $7500.00.

I'll still be maintaining the southeastdonzi web site, and as I've said before, will be around, just donzi less. Maybe I'll be lucky and find an impossible deal on a Donzi deck boat, regardless of what I find, the goal is to not have a single dime come out of pocket, and perhaps even have a little left over to put in the mason jar.

Thanks everyone, ESPECIALLY those that were part in my dream that didn't quite come to reality (Russ, Bob, Poodle, etc.).

Wayne

boxy
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Wayne, take it from a guy who is now into his 3rd year "between boats" there is always a seat at events.
Last year I even lead most of the tours through the 1000 Islands with a Powerquest. :D

Selling my Regal to sod the yard at our new house, then buying a Donzi the next season seemed like a good plan at the time, things change, friends don't.

Cuda
03-01-2006, 03:07 PM
That's too bad Wayne, but you know what they say, If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy. We will always have an extra seat for you. Good luck with the sale, if I were buying another Donzi, an X-18 would be my choice.

Cuda
03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Btw, I just signed consignment papers today for the 302, and the Checkmate. I may take the other two I have for sale to him too.

florida gator
03-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Have you thought about a Concept or Scarab Sport? I am looking at both of those right now for the extra room.

Last Tango
03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Wayne... Z23... one right here in town with an MX 6.2MPI and supercharger. Holds the family and more, great day on the water... oh, he has also run about 80mph with it. Nice bimini, too. Yellow trim and stripes on white. Need a picture? Look at your Captains Book from last year's Angel Aid Poker Run. Yeah, THAT boat. Call Haskell's Marine.

BUIZILLA
03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Mark, is THAT deckboat actually for sale?? :eek: :garfield:

enquiring minds wanna know... :wink:

JH

Last Tango
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Yup. Talk to either Buddy or Jill Haskell. Tell them Mark Laszlo referred you. I won't get anything out of that but a nice thank you from sweet young Jill. That's all I need.
AND if you buy it, you can be the host boat again for the Poker Run which means you get a FREE entry for the weekend.

onesubdrvr
03-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Are you kidding?? I'd love a shot at that boat,....:yes: , would be perfect for me to keep me a 1 boat family.

Unfortunately, what I'm estimating at atleast 30K for that boat, I can't quite swing right now. :redface: :frown: :bawling:

Wayne

Carl C
03-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Are you kidding?? I'd love a shot at that boat,....:yes: , would be perfect for me to keep me a 1 boat family.
Unfortunately, what I'm estimating at atleast 30K for that boat, I can't quite swing right now. :redface: :frown: :bawling:
Wayne You can get good financing, Wayne. Sell your two boats and you should be in good shape. Don't give away that Regazza, find a good place to park it with a for sale sign. I don't think there is much of a market for it at this site. There are some very nice performance deck boats built now. Some are incredibly fast cats. I don't care for the front swim platforms though, they look like troop landers! Good luck. Hopefully you can find a boat that'll keep everyone happy.

RickSE
03-03-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd avoid the Z23 deck boat; those things had some major gelcoat cracking problems on the deck.

Good luck Wayne. My wife would love to have a more family oriented boat, since we have a 5 & 9 year old. The kids love the boat though and I think deep down she likes going to the lake with a boat that does not look like everyone else’s rig.

Forrest
03-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Here, do something like what I did. First, don't sell all the Donzis, just sell one. Keep the X. Let the Ragazza go. Tell her that that no one wants the X, and you'll loose a bunch of money by giving it away. Now, before the dust settles, go out and pick up a pontoon boat. Don't spend a fortune on anything deluxe - 22' or better and a 50hp or so outboard. You are looking at a 20 mph top end, so do get hung up on performance or prop swapping. When shopping for a pontoon, don't worry about too many details, just look for a good deal. Most are used on fresh water so corrosion is usually not a factor. Also, what you need to remember is that isn't a dog's ass difference between most pontoon boats except size, so don't get hung up on some certain brand either. Now go out and do it!

My current fleet:
'72 Donzi 16 (awaiting new fuel tank)
'77 Donzi X-18 (under rennovation)
'72 Magnum 27 Sport
'94 Palm Beach 22' pontoon boat with a 48hp Johnrude (paid $4500 for it and everyone is happy now).

All extra boats are gone now.:embarasse

onesubdrvr
03-03-2006, 02:55 PM
First, thanks for all the well wishes,

2nd, I've considered 2 boats, and perhaps a viable option. My concern is never using the Donzi as the family will always want to (I hope) go boating. So I can see using the X like 3 times a year, the Angel Aid poker run, the SEADOG year end run @ Porkey's, and maybe one other time. On the other hand, both my boats are paid for and mine, so it doesn't hurt me to keep them at all, other than the lack of boating time, so far this year, I've racked up a total of 0.0 hours of time on the water and the boat situation (with all the kids having no room to roam) is a big part of that problem. (and the fact momma doesn't particularly care for the loud noice or fast speeds :biggrin: )

I guess I too am feeling the pressure of the house not selling yet, the market is still hot here, but flooded! probably over 300 houses for sale in my county that fit the same description as mine, so we're not getting many showings, but, I just came down on my price a little which should stimulate some activity.

Also, the X boat needs a little work. My intentions were to swap the engines in the X and the Ragazza, swap the drive in the X to the 280 I picked up with tilt / trim, sell the Ragazza, get a toon boat, and be done. However, with the cracked block in the X, I'm not comfortable selling it with that engine - I just recall how po'd I was when I found out the little 6 banger was cracked in the Ragazza when I got it. And, I don't want to repair it and "hide" it.

Also, quite honestly, I was expecting the Ragazza to sell quicker, allowing me some "buffer" money while I fixed the X and found the Toon boat. Notice the Key is no more large sums of money out of pocket.

This is where the problem starts as there are frustrations flying around the house with the $ I've spent on the Donzi's, I didn't want to spend hardley anything in getting the X running, after it's running and on the water, I can do things here and there to fix the cosmetics / etc., but, can't have a non-usable boat sitting here (ie engine parts all over the garage, deck off / etc.). My intention was (is) to use if for 2-3 years, then settle into a complete deck-off resto. So, having to do an engine for it, and get the stringers repaired, I'm thinking it's gonna get to be a pretty hefty bill. I've got my eyes open for a used engine (as does Poodle, thanx Poodle), so if I can get done what I need to for like under a grand (money already in my little mason jar), I'm happy. However, I think that it's not likely. Also, time is one of my enemies, I could likely do the stringer work and save some $, but don't have the time! Poodles has been great helping me out when he can, he's pulled the motor out, and drive off to get it ready for stringer work, and has been looking at getting some people to do the stringer work as side work to help save me some $.

I've listed the Ragazza on BoatTrader, and UsedBoats as well (very little activity from the BoatTrader ad, but some already from the UsedBoats ad), maybe I'll get some activity over the weekend. If not, I'll consider a consignment lot / etc. I get NO traffic infront of my house as it's an isolated neighborhood, 1 way in and out.

Forrest, you've got it right on the toon boats, I just want to find one that's in decent shape, don't really care about the engine / speed as that's EXACTLY why I'm getting it, just needs to be solid (no rot), reliable engine, decent seating, and a decent bimini. I've seen a couple lately for around $6k - 7k that would make me happy (And, I'd like to get atleast $7500.00 for the Ragazza) if I could get atleast that for the Ragazza, and you guys that live closer to the center of the state find me a good deal on a toon with a trailer, and I'm golden.

As always I am open to suggestions / criticisim / beatings / etc. and I aint' too proud if someone wants to volunteer time / labor getting the X done to save me some $ - Hotdogs are on me for ALL those that have helped me with both my Donzi's.

Thanks again
Wayne

smokediver
03-03-2006, 04:44 PM
wayne ,
why not try and trade someone with a pontoon for the rag ? put a 6 banger in it and trade it for a 'toon boat . keep the x and work on it when you can . keep your motor too ! just a thought . I have been wanting to get an 18 or 22 but my daughter has big plans for "her" boat so I will probably be a 2 boat owner myself:eek!:

ChromeGorilla
03-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Hmmmm THE deckboat is available huh???? Hey Jim.... I double dog dare you.......:D

pmreed
03-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I've been thinking about a deckboat..hmm.

Phil

BUIZILLA
03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
it's just a little blue motor....

Cuda
03-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I've been thinking about a deckboat..hmm.
Phil
Does that mean your 22 would be going up for sale??? :)

pmreed
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Cuda, Cuda; do I hear late model, big block 22 in your thoughts?

Phil

onesubdrvr
03-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Wayne... Z23... one right here in town with an MX 6.2MPI and supercharger. Holds the family and more, great day on the water... oh, he has also run about 80mph with it. Nice bimini, too. Yellow trim and stripes on white. Need a picture? Look at your Captains Book from last year's Angel Aid Poker Run. Yeah, THAT boat. Call Haskell's Marine.
Mark,

Yeah, I've got a picture of that boat at the Landing, with a couple of SEADOG boats.

Wonder if she would take the Ragazza and Free Life-Time "advertising" on the SEADOG website as even trade :propeller :jestera: :rlol:

Oh well, just a thought

Wayne

onesubdrvr
03-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Brief Update,

Doing a little "gambling" here (trying to keep the X), got a couple of pokers in the fire / etc.

Got a bid in on an engine, and a message into someone else, both would make good replacement motors for the Ragazza, allowing me to come to terms to dropping the price where it needs to be to sell quick.

Anyway, the stuff I'm working on is a crap shoot, and we'll have to see how it works out,...

I really don't want to get rid of the "X" :frown: :bawling: , but until things pan out, they are still both for sale.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Well,

After much consideration, head scratching, etc. I've decided that I must have been in an altered state.

All things considered, I'm better off for having had a little time to think things through.

I've decided to keep the X-18, but am still selling the Ragazza.

More later, just wanted to clear the air, as it seemed to have had a foul odor about it.

I've got work to do now!!

Wayne

18FOOTER
03-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Wayne, what happened to the motor in the X? I've been off the net for a few weeks, and this is the first I've seen. Changed jobs a few weeks ago and no time. Bob

onesubdrvr
03-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Wayne, what happened to the motor in the X? I've been off the net for a few weeks, and this is the first I've seen. Changed jobs a few weeks ago and no time. Bob
Bob,

There was a crack in the block,....

I was going to put that engine in the Ragazza, and my built SB in the X, no biggie,...just not $planned$ for

Wayne