PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your bar change?

TuxedoPk
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
In NY when you go to a bar and order a drink people leave their change on the bar in front of them for the bartender to use to pay for future drinks. It dawned on me that this isn't the norm for many other parts of the country I've visited.

When not running a tab, do you take your change between drinks or leave it on the bar?

pmreed
02-28-2006, 06:31 PM
On the bar.

Phil

boxy
02-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Are you sitting at the bar, or just ordering drinks from the bar ????

DonziDave
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Interesting post....In my travels, I have noticed that in the northeast, the customers usually leave the money on the bar. But in the south, the money is picked up. I think it's a regional thing. Also may have to do with bars in northern urban areas tend to be neighborhood bars where everyone knows each other. :beer:

DonziDave
02-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Another thought....As in Phil's post, I think you can exclude Florida from my southern example because everyone in Florida is from the north.

As for the southern tendency to pick up the change, It could be that we are afraid ther may be a yankee bastard carpetbagger waiting to steal our money when we go take a leak....!!!!

:biggrin:

gcarter
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't go to bars.......I work on my boat ALL the time!
And I'm married to one of the few native Floridians in existance...Elaine was born in Tampa.
I'm from Texas, and yeah there's a hell of a lot of Yankees around here!:biggrin:

hardcrab
02-28-2006, 09:23 PM
do you mean right now ? :beer:

actually, Donzi Dave has got a good point with neighborhood bars in the northeast

Lenny
03-01-2006, 12:34 AM
If I am at the BAR, the money stays in front of me at the BAR, (till I spend it :D )

Gives me something to "fiddel with" and suffice some of my myriad of compulsive dissorders...

:)

TuxedoPk
03-01-2006, 06:06 AM

Only when sitting AT the bar.

Poodle- I'm not saying do you leave with change... I was asking the question Lenny answered.

Ranman
03-01-2006, 07:36 AM
We take our money back off the bar (dollars and coins). Any tip (for me generally $1 per drink is left on the lowered strip portion of the bar closest the bartender. When the money is left on that area, the bartenders know it's meant to be a tip. They generally won't touch money sitting on the main part of the bar unless it's disregarded for a long period of time or the patron has left.

My biggest pet peeve is when the waitress/bartender assumes they can keep the change and does not at least offer to give it back. This is a very rare ocurance but happens now and then. In those cases, I go out of my way to ask for my change, let them know how I feel about it, and switch waitresses/bartenders.

Oh, and if you ever wonder why it seems that you're the only one waiting forever to get your drinks at a crowded bar while everyone else gets served, you might want to consider being a little less cheap! :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Cuda
03-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I always run a tab at our home bar. If I got to a new bar that's busy, I always leave a big tip on the first drink to insure good service the rest of the night. I hate having to order two drinks at a time, so as to not go dry. :(

Cuda
03-01-2006, 08:04 AM
I don't go to bars.......I work on my boat ALL the time!
biggrin:

Hmm, that doesn't appear to be a Diet Coke in front of you!:eek!: :beer:

boxy
03-01-2006, 08:12 AM
If I am at the BAR, the money stays in front of me at the BAR, (till I spend it :D )
Gives me something to "fiddel with" and suffice some of my myriad of compulsive dissorders...
:)

I'm with Lenny and Randy, if I'm sitting at the bar, I tip and leave the rest on the bar, if I'm leaving the tip goes into the lower tray...

You guys South of Lenny and I have it easy, usually by the time I'm done the pile of coins in front of me looks like a texas hold'em poker stake...

Cuda
03-01-2006, 08:15 AM
And I'm married to one of the few native Floridians in existance...Elaine was born in Tampa.
biggrin:
My genuine Florida redneck cracker goes back at least three generations in Florida.

McGary911
03-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Money usually on the bar. Always if I have a seat. At my local hole, I'll leave it on the bar even if I'm not sitting there. Me and friends will each have a pile, and put something like our cellphone on it to mark it. The bardenders know all of us and keep it straight. Well, there is one dullard......money goes in pocket for her.

When i was working in NYC, sometimes a bunch of us would grab a beer after work. We'd just get a section of the bar, everyone throw down a $20 on the pile, and we all just order when we are ready. The pile stayed on the bar until it eroded away. That worked great.....

BGH18
03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
At Jamestown it'll be in your front pocket:biggrin: :biggrin:

TuxedoPk
03-01-2006, 06:04 PM
It seems my observations are holding true with what everyone's posted.. The North keeps their money on the bar, the South and Midwest don't.

Any exceptions?

f_inscreenname
03-01-2006, 07:30 PM
On the bar unless I walk down to the beach then I leave tip (sometimes) and roll out.