PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifolds

22zxla
02-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi new to this site, but have really learned some good info. Have a 22zx 1998 7.4 mpi the exhaust manifolds show signs of rust and need changing. Will an upgrade to a emi thunder or stainless make a difference or just a waste of money? Also what kind of difference it would make if any? thanks

synack
02-27-2006, 08:36 PM
You'll lose a lot of weight since the new exhaust will be MUCH lighter, you will gain a few mph on the top end, and your boat will sound a lot nicer!

That's reason enough! ;-)

MOP
02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Nice setup on Ebay I put the link in parts for sale.

Phil

Cuda
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Check out Revolution Marine exhaust. They look pretty good for under a thousand bucks. I think I will put them on our 22, if I can convince myself I have clearance.

22zxla
02-28-2006, 06:17 PM
htanks for the responses. Think ill put the upgrade manifolds and k&n filter for this summer.Now i need to save for that 27 zr , It really looks great and affordable. thanks again Happy Mardi Gras!

Cuda
02-28-2006, 06:32 PM
I hate my K&N's.

DJ13
02-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Man, we sure do have the same tastes. I'm thinking the 27ZR is the only logical upgrade path from my 22ZX!! I've been considering exhaust as well and was told that in addition, on the 7.4l MPI, the intake capacity makes the stock engine anemic. I asked about the K&N as well but the answer I got was more about getting a larger air intake & filter assembly altogether to make the exhaust upgrade maximized. Just food for thought. The guy I was talking to is known as the "bilge monkey" and supposedly knows a thing or two about marine engines.

22zxla
02-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Curious cuda why you hate your k&n ? also dj13 yea we need to upgrade to the 27zr. Have had the 22zx for two summers and realize at events the 22 just isnt big enought.Plus it looks like the 7.4mpi is so limited to get additional mph. 62 mph just gets old real quick!

Cuda
02-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Curious cuda why you hate your k&n ? also dj13 yea we need to upgrade to the 27zr. Have had the 22zx for two summers and realize at events the 22 just isnt big enought.Plus it looks like the 7.4mpi is so limited to get additional mph. 62 mph just gets old real quick!
Look closely at the picture. Putting the valve cover breather hoses on it is a real pita. They want to collapse when you put them on. I like the Gaffrig on the Minx much better.

22zxla
03-01-2006, 05:39 PM
yea cuda i see what you mean. The filter i saw on the kn web site for my boat was small and cylinder shaped. MY boat is mpi were yours looks cab.hey im new to this site and really enjoy it .So busy with this katrina work dont have much time to look at it.I get the impression that most people have the classic donzi ? anyway thanks 4 responses

smoothie
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I like mine notice my install,both hoses are attached to the bottom of the filter, not flapping in the breeze,also I used a nice cover nut instead of a wing nut and threaded rod.

Barry Eller
03-02-2006, 06:25 AM
Check out Revolution Marine exhaust. They look pretty good for under a thousand bucks. I think I will put them on our 22, if I can convince myself I have clearance.
Cuda
The Revolution Marine exhaust will fit. There is about 1" clearance from the hatch cover on my 22. I haven't had any breather tube problems with my K&N filter, but with my Weiand Stealth highrise intake puts it very close to the hatch cover. I can't use a wing nut, I have to use a flat nut to give the nec. clearance.

Cuda
03-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Cuda
The Revolution Marine exhaust will fit. There is about 1" clearance from the hatch cover on my 22. I haven't had any breather tube problems with my K&N filter, but with my Weiand Stealth highrise intake puts it very close to the hatch cover. I can't use a wing nut, I have to use a flat nut to give the nec. clearance.
When I had them take that scoop out of the hatch, they also strengthened it, making it thicker. I think I have a quarter inch of clearance. Does anyone know if they mount the Trs engines higher?

Barry Eller
03-02-2006, 09:09 AM
When I had them take that scoop out of the hatch, they also strengthened it, making it thicker. I think I have a quarter inch of clearance. Does anyone know if they mount the Trs engines higher?
There my be your problem. The TRS is farther forward and I belive does set higher than standard mounts.

mrfixxall
03-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Cuda,if you go with the ss risers....their a inch shorter then the cast alunimum ones.......

Cuda
03-02-2006, 09:44 AM
I've been looking at Dana Marine exhaust today. They are a damn fine looking piece of machinery. I'll call them today to find out the height of them.

Cuda
03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I called Dana. Their exhaust system is 16.25 inches tall. One inch too much for me. :(

LKSD
03-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I can get your 7.4 mpi a large shot in the arm. I did one for a 22zx with a 5.7 mpi mag got it from 58 to 77mph. I can get you your exhaust & a supercharger Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628 :D :D

22zxla
03-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Jw thanks for the offer. If i didnt live sooooo far away might let you do it.They got a guy down here on lake pontchatrain with 22zx supercharged that goes about 85. kinda scared about the reliability of doing that to the 7.4mpi. man ,i really like that 27zr. think thats the next move.

LKSD
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Jw thanks for the offer. If i didnt live sooooo far away might let you do it.They got a guy down here on lake pontchatrain with 22zx supercharged that goes about 85. kinda scared about the reliability of doing that to the 7.4mpi. man ,i really like that 27zr. think thats the next move.

No problem.. let me know if you need me.. Jamie :)