PDA

View Full Version : VDO gauge question

The Hedgehog
02-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I am looking to replace the guages in the 27ZX. My only real concern is the fuel gauge. I have read that the VDO sender is a 240/33 ohm which should be work with a number of brands. I have also heard that the sender will read backwards (at least with Gaffrig). Has anyone else been down this road? Is this true on all VDO's or the older versions?

rustnrot
02-26-2006, 08:21 PM
240/33 is the most standard marine resistance for all the gauges, not just fuel. Gaffrig uses the most standard so it will be fine. I never heard of one reading backwards unless somebody wired it up backwards.

Note however that most of the other VDO gauges are NOT 240/33 ohms, and that is why VDO's use a different sender as do some other very few brands.

Remember--two wires, hook 'em up, three wires, fook 'em up!

The Hedgehog
02-26-2006, 08:34 PM
240/33 is the most standard marine resistance for all the gauges, not just fuel. Gaffrig uses the most standard so it will be fine. I never heard of one reading backwards unless somebody wired it up backwards.
Note however that most of the other VDO gauges are NOT 240/33 ohms, and that is why VDO's use a different sender as do some other very few brands.
Remember--two wires, hook 'em up, three wires, fook 'em up!

What is the deal with 3 wires? I am kind of a novice. Does that mean that if my gauges have 2 wires then I am good to go?

rustnrot
02-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry, that is an old electrical joke---from an old electrical guy...follow the instructions that come with it and you will not have any trouble.

The Hedgehog
02-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks. I will proceed!