PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild or Replace? TRS outdrive

Lineleader
02-26-2006, 12:34 PM
The next step in getting the GT back up and running after an extended layover involved breaking down and cleaning the carb, replacing filters, plugs, water separator, batteries, fuel pump and the like. Still need to drain the old gas and change the oil. Not too surprising, she fired up and ran pretty good.

Now the bad news....

I believe it has the original 1975 TRS outdrive (serial #4329174) and steering. The engine was replaced in 1998 with the 454 (330hp). It ran in gear but we couldn't get it to shift back to neutral. An inspection of the outdrive revealed a rather large crack in the lower unit housing.

Decision time.....I'm looking for your experience and opinions on the next move. Should I attempt to replace lower unit if possible (just housing or complete) or is time to upgrade to a new or re-built outdrive altogether? What fits and what would be the best match up, given the age and value of the entire package? Will it ultimately require re-building the transom in order to match up a different outdrive or is there an option that will fit the existing openings?

Any other comments are appreciated.

LL

BERTRAM BOY
02-26-2006, 01:06 PM
What about a Konrad drive?

MOP
02-26-2006, 01:15 PM
TRS shifting issues are not in the drive but in the transmission, could just be the throw caused by cable or adjustment but may be deeper.

Phil

MOP
02-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Might be time to go Bravo, break even and go faster!

Cuda
02-26-2006, 02:25 PM
I'll try to get by Speedmasters this week and see if he has a lower. He's a big fan of TRS drives. He says that the new drives such as Marine Machine and those, are using bravo gears and taking the shift out of it, in essence, making it a Trs drive. I'm very happy with our Trs so far. It's nice not to worry about popping a drive everytime you get on plane.

Pismo
02-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Yes you have two problems, the shifting in the the tranny which may be an easy fix, hopefully is, and the cracked lower unit. TRS is a good unit, find a new lower unit and you will be fixed up fairly cheaply, provided the tranny is an easy fix. Even with a new(used) tranny it will still be cheaper than the alternative. Konrads are big, big money and the Bravo switch is involved and expensive as well, even if you can do it yourself. You will gain no speed by going to a Bravo, maybe up or down 2mph. Fill hole, recut, remove tranny, move/remount engine, buy transom assembly, buy Bravo drive, find a trim pin and oil bottle, etc, lots of hours and dollars. A new lower and a tranny probably could be found for $2-3k, no glass work, original setup, simple bolt ons, still very solid. I helped a friend do a TRS to Bravo swap, but his drive, transom assembly and tranny all blew up simultaneously so no choice. Lots of glass work plus $3-4k. I bet your tranny can be fixed and the lower was probably full of water and froze and cracked, if so you are in for only $1-2k or so for a new lower. Good luck.

smoothie
02-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Depending on where the crack is a "good" welder could fix it..

Cuda
02-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Depending on where the crack is a "good" welder could fix it..
That's what I was thinking. It's worth a shot anyway.

If the tranny needs rebuilt, mine cost $1350 to have done.

Lineleader
02-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Actually, the transmission is working, the problem is in the electric motor/servo that does the shifting. Has anyone converted this to a mechanical shift? Are there kits to do this? I've been told that getting parts for the old electronic shift motors and controls is pretty much impossible. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Woodsy
02-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I am pretty sure a TRS drive doesn't care what way it rotates... Forward and Reverse are controlled in the transmission.

Woodsy

BERTRAM BOY
02-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Woodsy,
Actually the TRS does care which way you spin it. There are left and right hand versions.

DAULEY
02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
i am changing the drive on my squadron so i will have a complete drive and transom assembly external steering and trans forsale let me know if your interested there are pixs in post 1983 squadron

Lineleader
03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
MPoodle,

You say new drive available, who did you check with? I have found a few, guess I ought to at least try a weld first. I'm guessing my best best would be to have all internals removed before attempting weld.

i am changing the drive on my squadron so i will have a complete drive and transom assembly external steering and trans forsale let me know if your interested there are pixs in post 1983 squadron

D,

Sorry, I'm missing something, please tell me how to locate your pics. My e-mail account is down or I would send you a p/m.

To all,

Thanks very much for the imput, I'll let you know how my odessey turns out.

smoothie
03-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Not really,again it depends on where the crack is,your welder should be careful not to get it real hot so things dont warp or melt.

Blewbyu
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Volvo

Forrest
03-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I have a good used second-generation (improved against burn-out) MercTrans shift-motor assembly ready-to-bolt-on for sale if you need it. If you go the mechanical-shift conversion route, you'll need to find the conversion kit for the tranny and change out the electric-shift throttle/shift control box.

olredalert
03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Forrest,,,What do you need for the shift-motor assembly???...........Bill S

Forrest
03-03-2006, 10:26 AM
This one is close to being like new, so if figure $250 would be a fair price, and I'll pop for the shipping. I paid a hundred bucks more that for it second-hand when my old first-generation unit shorted out and fried the motor windings.

Cuda
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I just stopped at Speedmasters and talked to Galen. He said not to try to weld the lower. He says they always crack in the same place. He said they have some sort of fix, where they send it to a machine shop, have part of it cut off, then another piece put on and line bored out. I didn't understand all of what he was telling me, but be assured, he is the resident expert on Trs drives. He said the fix cost about $400, which is a lot cheaper than I would have thought.

Lineleader
03-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I just stopped at Speedmasters and talked to Galen. He said not to try to weld the lower. He says they always crack in the same place. He said they have some sort of fix, where they send it to a machine shop, have part of it cut off, then another piece put on and line bored out. I didn't understand all of what he was telling me, but be assured, he is the resident expert on Trs drives. He said the fix cost about $400, which is a lot cheaper than I would have thought.

Thanks very much Cuda,

Can I assume that Speedmasters is in Deland? I would like to get it to Galen for the fix.

Again, thanks for great idea.

LL

Cuda
03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Give Galen a call, I know he's there today. If you call him today, he'll know your's is the one I just spoke to him about. Yes, he's in Deland, luckily not far from you.

Phone: 386-734-3133

Lineleader
03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I think I found them. I'm calling Galen

http://www.speedmasters-inc.com/

LL

Cuda
03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Yep, I was just about to post a link to his website! :)

Lots of cool stuff about old race boats on his site too.

Lineleader
03-03-2006, 01:22 PM
$400 is just for the machined fix of the housing. Another $400 for labor of taking every out and putting it back and about another $200 or so for parts (washers, seals and the like).

So for about a grand I should be good to go. I think that sounds reasonable given most of the used lower units I'm finding are around $2500.

LL

Cuda
03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
You might want to go ahead and have him go through the upper while your at it. Did you ask about your electric shift problem?

straight jacket
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Our Scarab has TRS's on it and we haven't had any problems with them and we are not exactly gentile with it. We have the manual shift cables on them, and we also have a back-up set. Might upgrade to Conrads next year a couple of friends just switched over to them one is in thier add and the other is going to be . He still has a set for sale, if worst comes to worst.

DAULEY
03-03-2006, 07:36 PM
i cant figure out how to post a link and i tried to post pixs but is says they are already posted in another thread

LKSD
03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
The TRS was a good unit for its day, but the Konrad is almost like running a SSM. I sell them & am currently installing a set in a 33' Apache in our shop now.. They are bullet proof.. Theymake a direct replacment for the trs as well. They are a bit pricey but its a hell of a lot tougher than the B1 and usually give you a bit more speed over your stock set up because they are shorter than the stock trs.. Let me know if I can help you... Jamie 570-639-2628 Lakeside :)