PDA

View Full Version : SBC V Belts, Water Pumps, Brackets

DonCig
02-26-2006, 12:15 PM
I am trying to gather the hardware for the front of my new SBC engine and I have a couple of unanswered questions that I need some help with.

1. The previous engine (1997 Mercury 350 MAG Gen+) had a Long water pump and a serpentine belt, with all of the brackets suitably engineered.
My serpantine belt needs a long water pump in order to operate properly.

2. The new engine will not have a water pump, and currently has no brackets.

3. Did Merc./Chev. use a short water pump on pre 1997 SBC V Belt engines when designed with V belts and the respective brackets? Which means that the appropriate mounting brackets are available on the new or used market.

4. Has Merc. always used the Long Water pump design on their SBC Carb. V belt engines?

For those that offered March Products as a solution, their placement of things like a seawater pump and power steering pump are not appropriate nor available for a marine layout.

The last alternative that I available is to place a long water pump on my engine and strip off all the brackets and hardware from the previous engine.

Thanks,

Don

DonCig
02-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Scott, thanks for the assistance. If you have the time to look these up I would like to give you an order. I have aquired a Mondo alternator with a V pulley, I think you are correct on the sea pump length with the current one being to long.
Would you be kind enough to look up these parts for me:
1. New correct length sea pump with a Vv pulley.
2. Mounting brackets and bolts for sea pump.
3. New power steering pump with V pulley.
4. Power Steering brackets and bolts.
5. Alternator bracket and bolts.

I have a 3 groove crankshaft V pulley for a SBC with the short water pump. If I need one for a Long water pump I can exchange the one I purchased.

Thanks,

Don

DonCig
02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Scott, they look good. If you can go ahead and order up as much as you can and we can scrounge the rest.

Don