PDA

View Full Version : Magnacharger Draw Thru Carbed System for 5.7 Chevy

rustnrot
02-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Utilizes the Eaton blower. They also have a similar system for the flathead Ford engine. Anybody know anyone to run one of these yet? Says $1850, a bargain IMHO.

Traveler
03-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm in the process of installing an M112 on a 350 Mag MPI. Right now we're working out the drive and throttle body placement.

rustnrot
03-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Kit or Home Fab job? Pics? How are you going to reprogram the ECU?

Rootsy
03-05-2006, 10:16 AM
i prefer this eaton setup better... but i'm waiting to get my hands on a new GEN VI....

Traveler
03-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Rootsy,that is simialr to what I have. What is the gen VI?

MOP
03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I was reading that the roots type is hard non drives due to how low the the power comes on, a Pro Charger style has less bottom end but still delivers up top where you need it. But for BLING the roots can not be beat.

Phil

Traveler
03-05-2006, 04:32 PM
MOP, everyone selling centrificals was saying the same thing and I suppose there's some truth to it but the boost curve of a centrifical just didn't make sense to me. My logic was if you prop for the top end (by adding about 4" according to Procharger web site) then at the low end where there is no boost you're way overproped. No doubt the centrificals are great on the top end but I was thinking an all-around fun boat with reasonable RPM limits. If you want to protect the drive then baby it with judicious use of the throttle.

Traveler
03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Sorry Rustnot, I missed your fueling post. My motor was originally equipped with MEFI 2. I removed it in favor of a DFI Gen VII. No doubt there are people out there who could have reprogrammed the MEFI for me but I wanted to be able to play. The Gen VII gave me a good balance of price and knobs to turn.

I plan to tune using a UEGO then, once the tables are set, removing it and running open loop.

rustnrot
03-05-2006, 06:38 PM
What is a UEGO? Like a Haltech or the ilk?

Rootsy
03-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Rootsy,that is simialr to what I have. What is the gen VI?

Eaton's next generation supercharger. It is still in final durability and performance testing, etc. GM is knocking down eaton's doors for this thing... This is a next generation roots type supercharger that has been completely mathematically modeled for rotor design, etc. Front inlet next to the pulley. testing has shown that this thing is going to obsolete turbochargers. the rotor profile results in the elimination of the dead space and subsequent "beating" of the air as the rotors mesh which results in significant heating of the air and loss of thruput. A few of the current positives from this thing... noise at 15000 rpm is equal to the noise of the Gen V at 4000 rpm (supercharger speed)... it is quiet.... inlet vs outlet temperatures (delta T) have dropped significantly (something like 100 C)... mechanical efficiency has been seen on performance testing of 105%... yes that number is ligit. Thruput at the same pressure ratio has increased significantly VS the GEN V counterpart... power to drive it has dropped....

this is all i know at this time from my friends at eaton supercharger test services...

The Hedgehog
03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
MOP, everyone selling centrificals was saying the same thing and I suppose there's some truth to it but the boost curve of a centrifical just didn't make sense to me. My logic was if you prop for the top end (by adding about 4" according to Procharger web site) then at the low end where there is no boost you're way overproped. No doubt the centrificals are great on the top end but I was thinking an all-around fun boat with reasonable RPM limits. If you want to protect the drive then baby it with judicious use of the throttle.
The centrifigul setup actually works well. I use it on a big single engine boat and have no problems getting out of the hole. As boats accelerate, the need for torque and hp is not linear. The excessive torque at lower RPM on other blowers causes higher prop slippage and more wear on the drive. Cent blowers also allow for the use of a great big intercooler.

That being said, that blower rootsy is showing is one sharp looking unit! I could judiciously use my throttle coming out of the hole to have something that cool under the hatch. As long as it had an intercooler.