PDA

View Full Version : Morse shifter questions/pics

WOT-sup
02-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Put the peices back together yesterday and am well on the way to having a refurbished Morse shifter. Acquired it in the rough several years ago from Don's Salvage. Mechanically it's in good shape. Polish was done by Orion Willsey. New arm and a Scott/Cliff knob.
Still need to get the hardware to attach the cables to the base plate.
Looking for info on:

what the mounting hardware looks like and where I might get it
any installation tips and verify that early '70's vintage mounted these horizonally (with the shift lock-out below the control arm as opposed to in front or back of it).

Thanks.

MOP
02-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Tha cable attachments are a simple U clamp held in place by two 10/32 screws into the base plate, there is a ridge inside to lock into the 33C cables. Most any boat grave yard will have a several boats with Morse shifters, the same cable clamps were used in "all" Morse shifters not just the side shifter.

Phil

Factory kit is pictured if you scroll down to 30 Series.
http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m&action=search2PL&family=74210F,63377F,63628F,63550F,63548F,65233F,8 7481F,63471F,63409F,63378F,78194F,78209F,87478F,87 664F,87475F,87457F,87465F,76554F,76187F,83024F

Bob
02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Nice work! With regards to mounting, my 71 Hornet (port helm) is mounted vertically. That is with the shifter in neutral (handle vertical)- the lock out button is directly below the shift handle.

How do they come apart? I loosened the 3 screws in front face, removed the lever- then if I recall there were a few screws in back but couldn't figure out how to get the face plate off? Can you remove the face plate and leave the cables on the back?

Scott Pearson
02-26-2006, 09:36 AM
That shifter is for a late 70's into the 80's Morse. It must be mounted the way you have it in the first polished picture. It wont work with the cables anyother way. Thats the same shifter I have in my 1968 18. Its not correct for that year but it looks and works great. I have a bunch of old shifters around. Early and late.

I did the same to mine as you did. You need to clearcoat it. I did mine and it looks great.

Hope this helps.

Rob
02-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Scott is correct, that model of Morse shifter must be mounted horizontally. I had one just like it in my 87 Mastercraft. Polishing makes sense as the black coating flakes off over time.

The shifters you see with the lockout button on the bottom are a different model, and have a chrome housing I believe.

WOT-sup
02-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Forgot to mention, it was clear-coated by Quality Powder Coatings right out of polishing.
Here's a couple more pics. The first may be of interest to Bob on how it goes together.
Found a bag of Morse parts including U-clamps. Interesting to note that the same size bolts for the base plate were fine thread while the bolts for the 'carrier' were course.
Questions:

Is the sliding 'carrier' for the throttle cable standard issue??
How does the shift cable attach? (There are no holes in the base plate to secure another U-clamp.)

Also curious why can't this model shifter be mounted 'vertically'? Is it too 'long' for acceptable cable radius as it extends towards the bottom of boat? Correct cable actuation direction looks possible by positioning the 2 arms.

Thanks for the inputs, guys. Good to hear from Poodle and Scott, too; it's good to be back on the boards...this is the home stretch. The initial launch isn't that far away (relatively speaking)!

Bob
02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
It looks so much simpler in the daylight, without a flashlight in your teeth and the proper wrench no where in sight. Poodle- did you find the diagrams? :bonk: