PDA

View Full Version : Check your earmuffs!!!

onesubdrvr
02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Well, the other day I was repairing the water pump on my drive (after my daughter had shut the water off during my last engine run). After I was done, I hooked everything up, and ran the engine, just to notice that I had a temperature problem again. So I took the water pump out and turned the water back on, and low and behold, no water was getting up to the water pump, my earmuffs were too loose, and the water was squirting out from the edges instead of overcoming gravity and going up to the pump. So, check your earmuffs, make sure they seal good. I had a spare set, put them on and Voila!!

Wayne

Cuda
02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Trs, no muffs required. :)

blackhawk
02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
After owning a boat with the hose adapter on the engine I think I will "make" one on every other boat I own! Ear muffs scare me. When I do use them I ALWAYS duct tape them on the drive.

Barry Eller
02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
How do you keep from frying the waterpump impeller with the thru transom flush devices?

blackhawk
02-23-2006, 05:53 PM
How do you keep from frying the waterpump impeller with the thru transom flush devices?

I assume you mean the impeller in an Alpha drive? I doubt you could use one on an Alpha but my Blackhawk, Volvo and Bravo have the sea water pump only.

Barry Eller
02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I assume you mean the impeller in an Alpha drive? I doubt you could use one on an Alpha but my Blackhawk, Volvo and Bravo have the sea water pump only.
I have OMC King Cobra. waterpump impeller in the outdrive is all I have. The new 502 has a crossover and no raw water pump. Would the flush with valve have backpressure to back down to the outdrive waterpump?

onesubdrvr
02-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I have OMC King Cobra. waterpump impeller in the outdrive is all I have. The new 502 has a crossover and no raw water pump. Would the flush with valve have backpressure to back down to the outdrive waterpump?
Barry,

I myself would be a little concerned that it wouldn't get enough water. It would have to backflow through the PS cooler, through the drive / etc to get to the water pump, then, it (the water pump) is going to push it back the way it came. My cobra has distinct in / out port, it wouldn't work there I'm sure.

Wayne

Sam
02-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Ditto on the duct tape trick :bonk: .

Barry Eller
02-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I'll stay with my earmuffs. The only way I could use that type would be to install a raw waterpump, external water pickup, and remove the outdrive waterpump. Earmuffs are easy. I bought the good ones that feed water to both sides of the water inlets. The only time I would like the valve system would be when the boat is hanging up in the boathouse. I have to get in the water to put the muffs on. Not that big a deal, except when the water is cold!!
Thanks for the info
Barry

blackhawk
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Got ya. With an impeller in the drive and no sea water pump I'd stick with the muffs.

My Unlimited had the hose fitting from the factory and man was that nice. You knew all the water was getting to it and no worries that the muffs were gonna fall off. Even though I duct tape the muffs after reading all kinds of stories about muffs falling off I'm still nervous!

onesubdrvr
02-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Trs, no muffs required. :)
I don't know Joe, I've found that although not required, I do find that I am pretty partial to muffs myself :biggrin.: :p

Wayne

Dr. Dan
02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
I'll stay with my earmuffs. The only way I could use that type would be to install a raw waterpump, external water pickup, and remove the outdrive waterpump. Earmuffs are easy. I bought the good ones that feed water to both sides of the water inlets. The only time I would like the valve system would be when the boat is hanging up in the boathouse. I have to get in the water to put the muffs on. Not that big a deal, except when the water is cold!!
Thanks for the info
Barry

:wavey: Barry I use the Double Muffs also on my King Cobra, I also almost never run it without me or someone watching the muffs and the water coming out of the Tails. Call it a precaution...I have never had an issue.

With the HP500EFI I do the same thing, but we use the Merc Pump and pulled the OMC King Drive Pump, it works like a serious Bravo Pick Up.

Man I wish it was warm enough to boat out.....35 Degrees today.

Doc of the Bay:banghead:

Pismo
02-23-2006, 08:45 PM
I have the $4.99 muffs, used them a hundred times on Alphas, Bravos, outboards, etc, never had a problem. I guess I've been lucky.