PDA

View Full Version : Help- stuck shift cable

apollo24
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Guys,

Just got my X back from the shop on my way out of town (I just moved to Jackson, MS from Mobile, AL) and I decided to meet the neighbors by cranking her up the other evening on the hose.

I have a 4 month old throttle quadrant (black plastic, red button, think it's a Quicksilver type and a POS) and my throttle will move, but I can't shift into gear. I disassembled the quadrant, and unhooked the shift cable. Quadrant moves freely but shift cable won't go in and out by hand. It dead-ends at my Volvo 280 and that's about as far as I can go comfortably with the troubleshooting.

Any ideas? Bad cable? Any idea what I should expect to have to do?

I would bring it back to my old mechanic but I have moved, plus every time I bring it in, something else goes slightly wrong and it has started to p*ss me off.

Ideas? Thanks, Ben.

Oh, one more thing- anyone know where I can get the right set of earmuffs to trailer-run by Volvo? The muffs I have don't fit the water intake at all.....

onesubdrvr
02-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Guys,
Just got my X back from the shop on my way out of town (I just moved to Jackson, MS from Mobile, AL) and I decided to meet the neighbors by cranking her up the other evening on the hose.
I have a 4 month old throttle quadrant (black plastic, red button, think it's a Quicksilver type and a POS) and my throttle will move, but I can't shift into gear. I disassembled the quadrant, and unhooked the shift cable. Quadrant moves freely but shift cable won't go in and out by hand. It dead-ends at my Volvo 280 and that's about as far as I can go comfortably with the troubleshooting.
I would bring it back to my old mechanic but I have moved, plus every time I bring it in, something else goes slightly wrong and it has started to p*ss me off.
Ideas? Thanks, Ben.
Oh, one more thing- anyone know where I can get the right set of earmuffs to trailer-run by Volvo? The muffs I have don't fit the water intake at all.....
What did you mechanic do? The Volvo shifts pretty easy, I'd pop the cover off the drive and check that everything is free in there.

Anyway, as far as flushing, most have a hose connection spliced in line in the engine compartment, ball valve to isolate it / etc. I Much prefer that method to the earmuffs.

Wayne

Kirk
02-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Apollo24...this is what Wayne is describing made by Perko...it's called a Flush Pro and works great with my Volvo 270... also make winterizing very easy

Here is the . pdf

http://www.perko.com/Perko%20Catalog/Alphabetical%20Index/catalog%20page%20128.pdf

You can purchase thru boat US for around $40.00 US

Hope that helps,

KJ

mrfixxall
02-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Guys,
Ideas? Thanks, Ben.

I remember a few years ago that merc had a silent recall on some shifters that had the problem your having...they just wont go into gear,mabe you got one of the bab ones..

i would call quick silver and inquire about the silent recall

good luck
MCD

p.s.About the earmuff issue,,i work on boats all the time and their really are no good set of earmuffs for a volvo.
I usually take the hose off the transm housing and stick the garden hose into the intake hose and clamp it
or get one of those plastic kegger tubs lower the drive into it and stick the hose into it and turn it on and leave it on..

MOP
02-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Tilt the drive up and take a look at the cable, they tend to crack the outer housings plastic cover. Over time and the the exposed outer steel wires corrode and lock the cable up.

Phil

apollo24
02-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. The shift cable seems to be in fine shape all the way up to the outdrive. So I can pop the top off the outdrive pretty easily and see where the cable meets (some sort of lever arm, I assume)? I have never really looked at how to get the top off, but I do remember some bolts up there.

That throttle quadrant is junk. It is the second one I have had that has had pieces crack off, but in this case the problem seems to be in the cable on the outdrive end.

Thanks, B

p729lws
02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Ben,
Check you're PM and shoot me your new work email. Wacker's going to fall out of his chair if he opens some the emails I've sent recently.
Dan

apollo24
02-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks Mattyboy and others. I will try to tear into it when I get home!

Dan, my new address is bmontgomery@heavyquip.com. Check your pm's, too, here. I jumped off the sinking ship in December.

p729lws
02-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Dan, my new address is bmontgomery@heavyquip.com. Check your pm's, too, here. I jumped off the sinking ship in December.

You have dock space anytime you want it in P'cola! Come by anytime.
Dan

MOP
02-25-2006, 01:39 PM
I still say check the cable carefully between the transom shield and the drive, the slightest break in the plastic cover will let water in and the carbon steel outer wire will corrode and lock the cable up. The cable get a lot of bending from both turning and tilting the drive, the cable letting go in the area is a very common problem. Volvo shifter mechanisms just don't screw up like most others.

joseph m. hahnl
02-25-2006, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=
Anyway, as far as flushing, most have a hose connection spliced in line in the engine compartment, ball valve to isolate it / etc. I Much prefer that method to the earmuffs.
Wayne[/QUOTE]

Built in flushing:The one I have doesn't allow you to run the motor.
The one from perko may not allow you to also.

joe

hallboy
02-26-2006, 02:23 PM
:kyle: Sorry to "butt in" guys but after looking at the "Flush Pro" it seems to me you'll be getting water to the engine but a shutoff valve blocks water from the outdrive thus running the impeller dry!!
Again I'm fairly new to all this and will take no offence at being corrected. In fact I would like More info on a setup like this to install on my King Cobra.

onesubdrvr
02-26-2006, 02:25 PM
:kyle: Sorry to "butt in" guys but after looking at the "Flush Pro" it seems to me you'll be getting water to the engine but a shutoff valve blocks water from the outdrive thus running the impeller dry!!
Again I'm fairly new to all this and will take no offence at being corrected. In fact I would like More info on a setup like this to install on my King Cobra.
In the Volvo drives, there is no impeller in the outdrive, and in some other drives, they are removed in favor of a raw water pump on the engine.

Wayne