PDA

View Full Version : supplements and vitamins

harbormaster
02-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Alot of us are not getting any younger. When you look at all the vitamins, supplements, and growth hormones available gets kinda confusing on what is the best.

Anyone care to speak on this subject?

Patti
02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
At my age..I take 2 regular multi vitamins a day and a sublingual b12 every morning.

I dont know anything about growth hormones, but what I have read was kind of questionable..I cant say i've heard anything positive about them and the potential for side effects for HGH is quite scary.

I think the best thing is to ask your doctor about what would be right for you at this point..they will take into consideration, age, weight, dietary needs etc.

But then again, even if one takes a regular vitamin once a day..that's a good thing..it cant hurt :yes:

pmreed
02-22-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm taking a few things, Scott. Glucosamine and Chondroitin for my knees (definitely helped), Centrum Silver multi (hey, I hit 60 last month) and additionally, as recommended by my Ophthalmologist, Zinc, E, and Lutein. The last three are to retard macular degeneration, one of those aging things everybody is subject to. I'll let you know in a decade or so if they're working. Oh yeah, 1 gm of C in the morning.

Phil

Carl C
02-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Vitamin C in the winter to help keep colds away.

Reedy
02-22-2006, 09:02 AM
There is an endless list of suppliments, depending on your personal issues, probably your doctor knows best. I suggest taking a multi vitamin each day, and use the money you would spend on a bunch of supplements to buy healthy food from Whole Foods, or similar organic store.

Schnook
02-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Glucosamine/chondroitin is a great supplement. It takes about 6 weeks to see results, but really helps maintain the cartilage in your joints. Also, GNC has a great multi-vitamin that's formulated specifically for men > 40 - meaning no iron etc. Try stopping by one of those stores and ask some questions, the staff there is usually pretty heavy on the subject. Oh, and perhaps a touch of scotch every now and then, for medicinal purposes only :wink:

Tony
02-22-2006, 11:19 AM
I also do Glucosamine and Chondroitin every day. There is strong evidence showing this to help lubricate the joints. That's the knees, for those ready to post a "innuendo" type reply!

mrfixxall
02-22-2006, 11:42 AM
I use carnation instant breakfast..chocolate flaver

It provides protein,provides amino acids

calcium,builds strong bones

carbohydrates, provides energy

vitiman c, helps maintain immune system functions

vitiman a, helps promote healthy eyes,skin, and hair

folic acid,vital for normal cell groth and development

and b vitimins,b6,b12,thiamin and riboflavin are essential for converting food to energy.....

it's a little sandy looking but it tastes like chocolate milk...

thats my story and im sticking to it......

hardcrab
02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
THC promotes imagination and creativity ; barley and hops induce patience:yippie:

Carl C
02-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't forget your daily dose of vitamin D. (Donzi, that is!)

Formula Jr
02-22-2006, 02:42 PM
If you care. The green stuff. I dont like selling things. This however did work. They call it Magnum Green or somethig like that. It tastes horrible. Like you are drinking fresh mowed grass. But some how it works. You will lose pounds and have more energy. My X had me on this for a while. And it did work. At least till I found out all the speed they put in it.

Cuda
02-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Patti, where did you get that subligual vitamin B 12? I saw something on tv about it this weekend, and I looked for it in Walmart yesterday.

gcarter
02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I also take all the usual joint medicines listed above. They do work. And since I'm a regular contributer to the local cardialogist ( 'Laine says I shouldn't say I'm a cardiac patient), I also take lots of fish oil. Also a lot of calcium citrate.
But, I had a friend in Houston years ago who was an OB-GYN.
He told me if I was going to take vitamins, to take pre natal vitamins. Said there were certain minerals none of us ever get enough of but you do with the pre natals. And they don't cost anymore. WalMart of course.:biggrin:

MOP
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Hmm for Growth are you looking into Viaga???

Patti
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Patti, where did you get that subligual vitamin B 12? I saw something on tv about it this weekend, and I looked for it in Walmart yesterday.

Joe, I get mine at GNC..it's like 5.99 for a 30 day supply..it's cherry flavored and tastes quite good :)

Just one every morning and it gives me the energy I need :)

Cuda
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Joe, I get mine at GNC..it's like 5.99 for a 30 day supply..it's cherry flavored and tastes quite good :)
Just one every morning and it gives me the energy I need :)
I heard it's good for the old age dementia, which is already setting in on me. I already have a hard time remembering which noun to use. I heard that is common. There is even a name for it, which of course, I don't remember. :(

Cuda
02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Anybody try Focus Factor? I'm getting scatter brained. :(

mrfixxall
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Hmm for Growth are you looking into Viaga???

Us young guy's don't need it.......:hyper:

Cuda
02-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Us young guy's don't need it.......:hyper:
You don't need lead in your pencil when you got nobody to write to!:cistineb: :biggrin:

Patti
02-22-2006, 08:48 PM
I heard it's good for the old age dementia, which is already setting in on me. I already have a hard time remembering which noun to use. I heard that is common. There is even a name for it, which of course, I don't remember. :(
I get that now..even at 40 :tongue:
My son says it's senility..you know those almost 18 year olds..they know everything :yes: :rolleyes:

ChromeGorilla
02-22-2006, 09:21 PM
It's funny thi thread came up. I was just watching the news and the health department released just today a report that had findings that Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements were no more effective than placebo's in a study of 3600 patients and offered no viable benefit.... I know a few of you like these supplements, I was just pointing out the story I just saw a minute ago...... just fyi

Schnook
02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
It seems that a lot of the 'facts' about supplements and nutrition boil down to more art than science. If you like your eggs, check the calender-good for you on even years, bad for you on odd years. For every study you can find saying something is beneficial, you can find another saying it's not effective. Was it St John's Wart that was just disproved (sp?) in a scientific study for whatever it's supposed to do? But I bet millions of people will still swear by it. Since I started taking glucosamine my knees and ankle feel better. Does it really work or is it my mind working? Who cares, I feel better. And if that fails, derivative of hops and barley never let me down :biggrin.:
All the supplements in the world won't help if you don't start with a balanced diet, though.

Lenny
02-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Chrome, comon, ... ;) I have been there once, driven through it twice. I live three thousand PLUS miles away. :rolleyes:

Give it, and BROWNIE, the respect that place deserves... It is
Islamorada

Kidding of course, just some spelling is MOR important than others :D

...especially to people that only see it on TV and don't live and play there...

smokediver
02-23-2006, 06:03 AM
A good multi-vitamin , exercise , eat smart .... The extra vitamins like the glucosamine help with joints . you should have listened to the news a little longer . it does not help with arthritis in the hands . Older people should lift weights as it cuts down on bone loss ... there isn't a magic pill ... oh , and cocoa butter .... don't forget the cocoa butter ...

fasttrucker
02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
If you drink a lot use a complex-b vitamin.Thats what my doctor had me use once turns your pee yellow.:rolleyes:

Schnook
02-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Pedialyte is also a great supplement. It replaces electrolytes but doesn't have the sugars and sodium found in grown-up sport drinks. That and a BC powder are must haves for a hangover. Orange tastes best.