PDA

View Full Version : mid 80's 22 classic

rschap1
02-22-2006, 05:23 AM
Curious what info I could get on my neighbors Donzi...possibly mine soon if I decide to buy. I believe he said it was 1985 or 1986. It looks like a 22 classic to me, he says "sweet 23", which I've never heard of. Bravo 1, so I assummed big block, he says 370 hp small block, special edition that revs to 7600 rpm.(?) Red and white, bennett tabs. 3blade clever prop, makes lots of noise with the thru hull but never seems to really wind up and go to well. wrong prop for a classic hull? Any ideas as to what he may be refering to, value, price, if I get it prop recommendations? Thanks :wavey:

Dr. Dan
02-22-2006, 06:44 AM
:bighug: Welcome, see if ya can't get a clear picture of the Hull Number, should be stamped in the upper right rear on the Transom, just below the Rub Rail.

That will allow someone to interpret the original production info....

Poodle is correct, 7600 might be cool in a Lamborghini, but I would be careful in a boat! Sounds like your neighbor is casually informed. Could be ignorance in an innocent way or it could be something else.

Post as many pictures of it as possible, we will all do our best to lend you our never to conservative opinion.

Good Luck

Doc of the Bay

gold-n-rod
02-22-2006, 09:04 AM
If it truely is a 23 footer, it may not be a Classic. Donzi did make a more conventional boat that was 23', if I'm not mistaken.

The tach could be reading incorrectly. That could lead to the high numbers your neighbor reports as well as the wrong prop being spec'd for the boat.

He sounds mighty uninformed. Do your own research before parting with your hard earned dollars.

:wavey:

rschap1
02-22-2006, 11:09 AM
I will try and get some pics and hull id. There's a 22 classic for sale in FL that is the spitting image of this boat. I am assuming that is the proper model. Donzi put a Bravo on a 22 when they came out 88-89? Am I correct to assume most Bravo boats would have been big blocks?

rschap1
02-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Looking at some more of the ads around, it must be a later 80's 22 classic. Spiiting image of the 4-5 I see for sale now. Is there any access to the underside of the bow area in these boats? Looks like a small area to crawl up underneath. Simply storage space or even less? Can't imagine there's enough room to lay in there? Clever style prop anywheres near correct for a 22 classic? 3 or 4 blade round ears lots better? THANKS AGAIN!

MOP
02-22-2006, 03:47 PM
You can try a cleaver but speaking for myself and a few others that I have spkent to they make the 22's skittish, I pulled mine off and now run a 4 blade Turbo which works super on my mine great handling and .5 faster WOT.

Phil

rschap1
02-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Stopped over and took a closer look at the neighbor's boat. I am thinking it is an 18' classic. NOT a Bravo, it is an Alpha. Spark arrestor on small block says 300 Mercruiser Performance TEMPEST. There was no hull ID "molded" in the rear, but hand ground under the starboard ventilator was DMR221445A686. I assume it is a 1986, but can anyone tell model etc? by that number? approx value of a boat like that? middle of the road condition, a little faded on the fiberglass engine hatch, a little messy in the bilge, a Jasper sticker on th engines chrome valve covers, and the trailer a little rusty and rough too. $$??THANKS AGAIN!!

MOP
02-25-2006, 04:25 PM
If it is an 18 with a Tempest it should run real well the Tempest was rated at 300 at the prop. I had a Tempest in my 22 it ran very well and sounded great.

Edit: The numbers show it to be a 22, if stock it will run just over 60 with a 21" Mirage.

Phil

rschap1
02-25-2006, 08:31 PM
I wrote the ID down pretty fast and may have added the mystery digit. 86 22' though huh? Any idea of a fair price?

MOP
02-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Condition both mechanically and cosmetic have a lot of bearing, perfect could bring 15-18K fair maybe 12-15K. A survey and oil samples should give a good indication, from there it comes down to how bad you want it!!!

Phil

Donzigo
02-26-2006, 08:11 AM
From the VIN #, it seems to be a 22 Classic and built in january, 1986 and is a 1986 model year boat. I agree, there is an extra digit in the middle.

We had a 22 Classic, 1986, with a 350cu.in./300HP stoker engine, blue with moderate hull fading, original guages, and an Alpha drive. We sold it for $11,000. The engine had 10 hours on it, had $3,000 stainless steel exhaust manifolds & risers, too. No trailer with ours.

In an older boat, condition is everything.

Welcome to the board!

Richard

rschap1
02-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Want to thank everyone for all their input. Not entirely sure if I'll pull the trigger and buy this Donzi, but it sure was nice to know I can get all this info from such a knowledgable group! THANKS!!!!!!!:rlol: