What is the story behind the 22zx spin out when does it happen can it be fixed

What was the hull warranty on a 99 22zx

I'm a new owner and new to the forum

Bruce
Hawaii

synack
02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Donzi has a five year hull warranty for the "original retail customer"

There are several threads talking about the spinout. Do a quick search. There's nothing wrong with the hulls, so it's not a "fixable" thing. Just be careful with the trim when making turns.

jeddski
02-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I used to own a similar setup (procharged 7.4mpi in a 22zx). The boat was incredible to drive and as long as you're careful with it you should be fine. I doubt that we ever drove the boat to the limit of its performance. As long as you dont try to make sudden, sharp steering inputs at high speed you should have any issues.

One thing to keep in mind that I noticed occurs when slowing down. If your at WOT and suddenly pull the throttle back to stop quickly the boat would occasionally wallow back into the water. Since at about 80mph there is not a whole lot of the hull left in the water. If you ever find yourself in this position (I only noticed it once or twice) the best thing to do is actually give it some throttle.

I am sure there are lot of other people on this site that can give you other tips that will help keep you safe.

RickSE
02-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Like synack states there's plenty of information here, just do some searching.

Generally speaking, stepped bottom boats will hook or spin if you go into a tight turn at high speed, especially if the drive is trimmed down or in. As a general rule of thumb, keep the drive trimmed up when going into a turn, slow down a little and turn conservatively. Watch the bow, if you see the bow start to flatten out or begin to lean in the opposite direction of the turn, straighten the boat out and get out of the turn. Just take your time and get a feel for how the boat handles before you start cranking out turns.

Stepped bottom boats ride on the back of the hull at speed with the drive trimmed up, step is out of the water. Turning with the drive trimmed up keeps the wetted surface at the back of the hull, boat pivots or turns on the rear surface. Tight turning with the drive trimmed down lowers the hull in the water and allows the step to contact the water and hook the boat; back end gets loose and the boat pivots at the step, spinning the ass end out.

Have fun. It's a great boat.

DJ13
02-23-2006, 11:52 AM
I have a stock 7.4l MPI. Have any of you 22ZX procharger guys ridden in the same boat without the charger? How squirrelly is the ride compared to the stock 7.4? I've considered the upgrade but wonder about how safe the 22 step hull is at 80mph. I hear that long trim tabs and hydraulic steering are required...thoughts?

22zxla
02-25-2006, 08:12 PM
ialso have a22zx stock 454 mpi and am also interested in a procharger. I wonder about the reliability as well as the handling. Hope you get some positive feedback.Any info please pass along.