PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug ?

Sam
02-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Typically I have been changing my spark plugs every spring pretty much just out of habit. In an average season I might put on 35-40 hours tops. Based on those hours should I continue to change them out even if the boat is running fine? I know plugs are cheap but it's kind of a pain to get at all of them with out taking off the manifold :boggled: . What are you guys doing in this regard?

THX
Sam

boatnut
02-21-2006, 01:40 PM
In my opinion: assuming the plugs have been looking OK when you changed them (not carboned up, tips not burned etc.), I think you are wasting time and money to change them every season. If they do not look good after only 30 or 40 hours, you probably should chk on other things such as too lean or rich of a fuel mixture etc. Ed

Barry Eller
02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Speaking of spark plugs, what is the brand most people ar using. I'm using Delco MR43T's in my 502. That is the plug recommened in my engiine manual.

mrfixxall
02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I change mine as well because when i fog my engine they get all oil fouled...

i use autolite in my chevy......

RedDog
02-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Speaking of spark plugs, what is the brand most people ar using. I'm using Delco MR43T's in my 502. That is the plug recommened in my engiine manual.

Dennis Moore's BBC Book says to use the MR43TS - the S indicating an extended tip. I've used both in my former 454 carbbed engine and current 502 MPI without really seeing a difference.

Rootsy
02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
i'm with Madpoodle on this... 25 hours or every spring, whichever comes first... if i never had to winterize i might go longer but with the motor sitting all winter, fogged or not, who knows what can grow on the plugs with dampness, etc...

i use run of the mill AC Delco R43TS plugs... S or no S i have never seen any difference in the seat of my pants...

Johntrip
02-22-2006, 07:42 AM
25 hours....??? I can put 25 hours on the boat every week....... I'm certainly not goin to put plugs in every week..!! :stan:

Rootsy
02-22-2006, 07:55 AM
i'd say you are safe then johntrip... the reason i change so often is the fact that #1 my boat does more sitting than running... i doubt the plugs are even phased at 25 hours... i know people who have NEVER replaced spark plugs... hell i am just tuning up my F150 for the 2nd time... the plugs in there now have 102,000 miles on them... the last set had 100K.. time for plugwires too since i've developed a misfire in cylinder #4... :banghead:

i generally change oil in the spring... i don't put enough hours on to warrant mor ethan once a year but the moisture concerns me since the boat sits under cover in the barn most of the year... and will sweat...