PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Ice Hockey

boldts
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Hope everyone has been enjoying the games. Curling has become the new favorite sport of the Olympics for our data center has it seems every day around 5pm it's on CNBC. (We're only allowed to have news and weather chanels on our TV)

Anyhow, our Columbus Blue Jackets have 3 players playing for teams other than the USA. (Rick Nash & Adam Foote for Canada, David Vyborny for the Czech Republic) Whats up with that? These guys earn there livings from American Hockey, why aren't they playing for the USA team? I could see where not as many American Hockey players could participate in the Olympics if they only had 1 team to play for, but in my opinion, the US would dominate Olympic Hockey if all the other countries didn't have our best players on their teams.

How about if Michelle Quan skated for China or Japan instead of the US? (They'd be short a skater instead of us) Maybe a bad example, but all I could come up with right now.

No biggie, I know a lot of you guys watch and root for NHL teams. Just wanted to read your opinions. :smile:

Schnook
02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
I think the olympics is supposed to be more about playing for national allegiance than monetary. That said, it seems like the eligibility rules have become so diluted I could play for Kenya because I saw it on Nat'l Geographic! What happened to amatuers only?
A little off topic, but I heard on the news that this girl was walking thrugh a mall in Torino when her wallet got stolen. Unfortunately for the thief, she was a member of the Canadian women's hockey team. She chased him down and got her wallet back. They didn't say how or if she got in the penalty box afterwards.

boxy
02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
ask yourself one simple question if you are a NHL player what is more important to you winning a stanley cup or representing your country in the olympics???
Matty I think that answer may have something to do with where you grew up, and where you are playing now....
Ask any number of European players currently skating on a non contending Southern US team and the answer may be the Olympic Gold Medal.
Ask any North American born player and the answer is the Stanley Cup, (regardless of what the 10 Canadian guys playing for Italy in this years Olympics might tell you.)
Ask any European born player playing in a viable Northern Hockey Market, and I bet the answer would suprise you. Daniel Alfredsson, and Zedeno Chara (Hart and Norris candidates) have said that winning an Olympic Gold would be great, but the ultimate prize is the Stanley Cup.

Alfredsson won the Swedish Elite National championship last year during the lockout, and was asked if hoisting the trophy for his hometown team, in his hometown was better than winning the Stanley Cup, and he answered not even close.

boxy
02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Matty I think the 2010 Olympics in Whistler BC will be the last time you see NHL players skating on Olympic ice...

onesubdrvr
02-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, initially, I was upset with the swapping of countries thing, but the more I think about it, the more I come up with this conclusion --

If I were an olympic sport athelete, and for what ever reason, was not able to compete for my country (the strength of competition, failing to make tryouts, whatever legal reasons), sure, I'd go around, and find a country in which I could. I love my country, but by not being able to compete for my country, unless I "shopped" around, I wouldn't be able to win a medal, so, I shop around, and am accepted to X country, then I can compete, and hey, maybe even medal, and if I do, I am an Olympic Medal Athlete - a honor which has got to be the pinacle for most athletes.

Now hockey, something I don't know (and maybe someone can shed some light) Is it mandatory? If not, I think that answers your question right there. Why not have an internal fire for both? Obviously the stanley cup is gonna bring you some more $$ come off season, but remember, there are more players out there with a stanley cup ring than with an Olympic gold medal. Surely that medal would rank high on each and every one of their lists.

Just my thoughts
Wayne

boxy
02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Obviously the stanley cup is gonna bring you some more $$ come off season, but remember, there are more players out there with a stanley cup ring than with an Olympic gold medal. Surely that medal would rank high on each and every one of their lists.
Just my thoughts
Wayne

Wayne, there is going to be a World Baseball Championship coming up soon right, what do think would be more important to Derek Jeter... a World Series ring, a World Baseball Championship ring, or an Olympic medal?

What do you think will be more important to Lebron James an NBA Championship ring or an Olympic Medal?

Yes there are more Stanley Cup rings than Olympic Medals.
The Stanley Cup has been around since 1892, Hockey has only been an Olympic Sport since 1920.

onesubdrvr
02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Boxy,

I think we are kind of saying the same thing,...

There is no doubt in my mind that most NHL players would rather have Lord Stanley's ring than the medal - the endorsements / contracts / etc. it's the $ end.

However, my thinking that if playing in the Olympics is optional, then those players that are playing in it obviously have a quest for a medal, otherwise, they'd just take the break and say, nah, I'm gonna stay healthy for the "real" season. Of course, the other side could be lack of endorsements from refusing to play for their country, and the loss of any imagined respect.

I have always prefered amature sports as those players are still the purists - trying to get to the next level, giving it all they can!

Anyway, myself, being a person who will never know what it's like to compete at sports on a professional level, will say that I'd rather have an olympic medal than one of Lord Stanley's rings.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
02-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Wayne,
i do agree that in certain sports in any olympic venue it is the highest honor bestowed on an athlete, track and field, speed skating, figure skating those athletes have no higher competion so all you hold is true,
but the players of the nhl have the honor of playing for the worlds most famous trophy steeped in tradition and history, and for many of these pro athletes this is not their first time 2nd 3rd they are doing it for the endorsement money not an olympic medal, and i am sorry their contract with their team is a higher priority, what does Jagr say to his fans and his team?????? if this is a long enough to take the rangers out of the playoff pic?????
OK, Perhaps I'm confused, is play for the NHL suspended during the Olympics?

Was Jagr injured during the Olympics?

I really don't know the answers to these, I watch probably <10 minutes of TV a day

Either way, like you say, now he won't be able to perform for his employer, and fans - which should be his priority, I agree. And like was mentioned earlier, the days of the Miracle on Ice are gone with all of the NHL stars in there. A closer look needs to be taken at these hi-profile sports like basketball / hockey / etc. and something needs to be done.

As an aside thought, what about professional boxers?

Wayne

boxy
02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Matty I wouldn't worry about Jagr, he looked great today against Canada.

Wayne one thing we should have mentioned, an NHL players salary is based on an 82 game regular season, they are essentially playing for free during the playoffs.

A guy like Rick Nash, who has as about as much chance of winning the Stanley Cup as I do, will never see his value go down because he never gets to shine in the playoffs.

Schnook
02-21-2006, 07:58 PM
It all boils down to $$$$$
Will the dollars the professional teams have at stake outweigh the IOC's revenue increase professional athletes bring in? Both sides seem to have a legitimate argument, but I think the George's of the world will win this one - you can't pay your mortgage with a gold medal. Let's see what happens when the first big star gets hurt in the baseball classic.

goatee
02-21-2006, 11:37 PM
i thought it was where you were born?
as for whats more important?? i see the way they are slamming eachother to the boards,,,,, ummm, im going to say olympics????

goatee
02-21-2006, 11:39 PM
nhl may be the bread and butter but,,, dees are DA GAMES BABY!!!!! YEAH!@!!!

SideshowRob
02-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Although this seems like a debate, I'll offer my opinion. I will start by agreeing that proffesional paid athletes should not be in the Olympics. They are already in the spotlight doing what they are good at, I think the Olympics is for the amateurs to shine at, sure there are some Olympic vetrans in the games, but none of them are supporting their lifestyle because of it. Now as for why players don't play for the country they currently earn their livelihood in.... would you? If you grew up in say Finland, learned the game, were supported there, offered scholarships there, got your first big break there, wouldn't you want to represent those who helped you get where you are today? I would. Yes the U.S. and Canada are where they spend their winters now, but that is our fault isn't it? We pay to see them, we buy the merchandise. We are the reason they are able to earn sooo much money here. I'm sure if most of them had the opportunity to play in Europe for the same or even close to the same money, they would. Now how about why both of our teams lost? !@# I've heard so many people say "The big ice" screw that! Most of the Europeans play in the NHL, they spend their time on the small ice too. The news keeps bringing up the whole Wayne- gambling crap. Nope. And the only reason it was ever a huge issue was the !@#!$ media constantly bringing itr up and saying "will it affect you?" If you don't shut up about it and ask us something relevant to Hockey...maybe!!!
We are out because we could not play together. A lot of good players looking out for themselves, whereas the Europeans work so well together with one thing in mind GOLD. Not how they will look in the replays. I watched more of the Canadians than U.S. so I will use this example, during the Canada- Finland game, at one point the Fins had two guys in the box.... 5 on 3 and it looked even on the ice??? Why did we loose? We were outplayed.
Now you as fans might be upset, losing players are upset, but in about a week all those players will be back together playing and partying together again, back on the clock.
Now had we been watching some up and coming college kids, we might have seen a different Olympics
Sorry that was a little long..... I haven't been around lately, I had a lot to say :eek!:

Rootsy
02-23-2006, 09:47 AM
it is a shame that more college hockey isn't televised in the manner that the NHL is...

thriller
02-23-2006, 11:02 AM
The no name Europeans have nothing to loose and everything to gain. I always bet on those lads across the pond. Our professional hockey players should be paid on an incentive basis period. Take into account their +/- record. Goals and assist's. I agree that the players playing in the Games should all be Juniors or thelikes of the AHL.

Just my 2 $

MM

SideshowRob
02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Uuuuuumm, I wouldn't call them no name players, as the majority of most of the European team members are some of the NHL's best players. Hasek, Koivu, Alfreddsun, Sundin, Sedins, Chara, Kippersoff, Forsberg etc.... I've missed about 40 and misspelled a few, but the point is that there is a huge talent pool in Europe, many of them making top dollar in the NHL. Which is fine, competing against the best generally helps to bring out the best in everyone. Except apparently in the 2006 Olympics :redface:
Unfortunatly many North Americans will now turn off the Olympic hockey finals, and miss some fantastic hockey, hockey with few penalties and a very fast and very smooth pace. :cool:

boxy
02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
The no name Europeans have nothing to loose and everything to gain. MM

Mikey that left coast hippy lettuce is showing through again.... :D

The top 10 guys on each team are top NHL players, but you are right about their bottom 10 caring about winning, for some of them, it's all they have got....

thriller
02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Ok Ok It's the Don Cherry coming out in me:D
I love hockey and as some of you may know, I played hockey in Europe a long time ago. Holland was very good to me..I have seen and played with some remarkable players. The talent there is incredible.

I am bitter with the lack of effort and sluggish play of our Canadian men. The Womens team Rock!

The Czecks look awesome

MM

SideshowRob
02-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Agreed Completely on all points.... well, I never played in Europe, and I'm cheering for Finland..... family heritage and all. :beer: But the Czecks do look awesome too.

Just Say N20
02-23-2006, 12:29 PM
If I was competing in the Olympics, and won a medal, I would want to know that it meant I was the "best of the best." If some of the best atheletes are professional, what's the difference? The Olympic contest is to determine who is the best in the world at whatever sport is being discussed. If you are good enough to qualify, you should be allowed to complete, regardless of whether or not you are a professional or not. If a portion of the potential atheletes aren't allowed to compete, then the awards are much less meaningful. :outtahere:

onesubdrvr
02-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I love hockey and as you some of you may know, I played hockey in Europe a long time ago. Holland was very good to me..I have seen and played with some remarkable players. The talent there is incredible.
I am bitter with the lack of effort and sluggish play of our Canadian men. The Womens team Rock!
The Czecks look awesome
MM
I used to be in love with Manon Rhume (sp?):chilipepp the woman that played with the TB Lightning's farm team - I wanted her to bear my children!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wayne

boxy
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I love hockey and as you some of you may know, I played hockey in Europe a long time ago. Holland was very good to me..I have seen and played with some remarkable players. The talent there is incredible.
The Czecks look awesome
MM

Czech vs Slovak final would be awesome....
Czech Sweden wouldn't suck either.

Mike, OT question.... how big would the card holding camera man, camera man's assisstant group of people be in Van. ? ...... damn, wrong left coaster. Sorry Mike.

Hey Blueliner, can you answer this .....

TuxedoPk
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
it is a shame that more college hockey isn't televised in the manner that the NHL is...

Jamie- As a RPI guy, I agree. Did you go to a Division 1 hockey school?

boldts
02-23-2006, 01:58 PM
I agree with you all who like the woman's game. Holy cow, those women will kick your arse and then laugh in your face! :) Makes you wonder what living with them might be like. Whata you mean you didn't wash the clothes today? Blam Biff Blam :biggrin:

Rootsy
02-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Jamie- As a RPI guy, I agree. Did you go to a Division 1 hockey school?

Tux,

MTU (Michigan Technological Univ)...

Patrik Sweden
02-26-2006, 10:54 AM
:sweden:

:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

boxy
02-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Congratulations to my second favorite Swedish Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators Captain Daniel Alfredsson.

LPGA Golfer Helen Alfredsson is my favorite Swedish Alfredsson .... :D

JPR
02-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Patrick, your guys got it done, ours did not, congratulations. One really interesting stat is that in the 3 games that NHL players have been eligible, 6 different countries have been in the Gold Medal game. I guess there is parity in hockey!!

Cheers and well done.

Pismo
02-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Fantastic finish in the Men's 50km ski. So sad that the Olympics are over, so enjoyable, so different.

thriller
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
2010 Winter Olympics Vancouver BC
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :canada:

boldts
02-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Thriller, just wondering, have tickets gone on sale for different events at the 2010 Olympics yet? Would you actually need to make a room reservation this early? It would probably be that once in a life time event as far as I'm concerned, put something to be thinking about.

Carl C
03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
OK, the Wings lost 5-1 last night because the "Swedish five" were in Sweden celebrating their gold medals. And Dom Hasek has been sidelined indefinately because of his groin injury according to NHL.com. These guys are paid millions to play in the NHL and now some can't or aren't doing their job. This is huge for Ottawa. Anyway, I don't think the pros should be in the Olympics.