PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Pitting

Lineleader
02-20-2006, 09:46 PM
As you may surmise from my last few posts, I'm in the process of a mild restoration of the ol girl.

Haven't decided how involved it's going to be yet. I took off the aft seats and side bolters to discover totally rotted wood backings and support. It looks to be about the only exposed wood on the boat. I was pleasantly surprised that the deck was fiberglass.

Latest Q: I've noticed pitting on the aluminum frames of the windshield (I understand it's relatively rare to have an original windshield). What are my best solutions to alleviate the pitting?

Thanks,

LL

RedDog
02-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I would guess, depeding on the depth, that the only way to remove a pit is to remove the surroundig material to make it all flush. Grind or sand. If it is not too deep, maybe just removing some of the surrounding metal will give satisfactory results.

Rootsy
02-21-2006, 06:21 AM
if the pitting is too serious there are some alternatives. available today are aluminum bedded epoxies and epoxy putties... they are like 80% aluminum powder, hard as a rock, fully machinable and polishable... you could just prep the surface and get the pits filled and fair the whole deal... probably be unnoticable by the time you polish it a bit