PDA

View Full Version : 454/330

Cuda
02-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Would I notice any appreciable gains with this engine if I switched to Revolution exhaust, a high rise intake, and TB IV distributor? I went on a 90 mile round trip with the boat this weekend, and it ran great, but had seemed to lost some power since the last time out. We found that problem yesterday while cleaning the boat. A plug wire was laying in the bilge. I'm not looking for a firebreather, just a tad more oomph, and I think I'll be ok. It's either that or swap to a 496 for much more money.

gold-n-rod
02-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Here's my take:

improved intake ---->> same old lo-po 330 heads -----> improved breathing thru new exhausts = not enough gain for the $$$$ = not a happy Cuda :(

If you are going thru the trouble of intake and exhaust, then at least upgrade to the Magnum heads. Oh, and then, upgrade the cam as long as you are in there...... oh, and.........

See where this is going?

:wavey:

Cuda
02-20-2006, 09:54 AM
That's what I don't want to do. :(

Cuda
02-21-2006, 09:54 AM
I am concerned with the hatch clearance for Revolution Exhaust. I called them and they said from the center of the bottom bolt hole, to the highest point on the riser is 15 1/4. Yesterday, I got in the compartment and had Deb close it, and I measured 15 1/2 from the bottom of the exhaust port. I think I'll get in again today and double check my measurements before ordering. Anyone else running Rev exhaust?

Barry Eller
02-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I am concerned with the hatch clearance for Revolution Exhaust. I called them and they said from the center of the bottom bolt hole, to the highest point on the riser is 15 1/4. Yesterday, I got in the compartment and had Deb close it, and I measured 15 1/2 from the bottom of the exhaust port. I think I'll get in again today and double check my measurements before ordering. Anyone else running Rev exhaust?
I installed Revolution Marine exhaust on my new 502. clearance on my 22 classic is fine. However my Weiand Stealth highrise intake with the K&N arrester is close. I had to cut down the post and use a flat nut to clear the hatchcover.
See photos in engine threads, New 502 in Yippy Kai Yay. By the way, how do you repost photo's you have allready posted, of refer to a previous thread?

Pismo
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Barry, did the revloutions give you any performance gains?

Barry Eller
02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
I can't say, the old engine was a 454HO, it had the old style EMI exhaust with the water jackets inside the risers(no hose from manifold to the riser). I had water inter the engine because the gasket leaked. Therefore this is a new engine and I have nothing to compare to. If you compare price to other exhaust systems, I think they are a real bargain. I haven't GPS numbers yet, but the boat is MUCH more powerfull and the Revolution risers have a built in dam to keep water out of the manifolds. They fit well and I had good service from them. I didn't get the polished ones as I am in salt water. The intake has been anodized also to make it last is salt water. I got the intake from Eddie Marine.

Boatnuts
02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Be careful what you do with the 330. There are huge differences from this engine to the HO version. Noteably, it is only a 2 bolt main on the bottom end and a lot of the "guts" items aren't forged. Only limited HP gains (aprox 10%)should be attempted via the top without completely reworking the bottom. As well keep the RPM down in the 4600 or less range.

p729lws
02-21-2006, 12:38 PM
By the way, how do you repost photo's you have allready posted, of refer to a previous thread?

If you change the file name it will let you repost. The other option is to link to the thread.

Barry Eller
02-21-2006, 01:41 PM
If you change the file name it will let you repost. The other option is to link to the thread.
Thanks pal. How to you link to the thread? You were right, today is not a boating day. I had to take my mother to Lowes to buy a new toilet for one of her bathrooms. I'm installing it this afternoon. Lots of fun.

Schnook
02-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Is the 454/330 the same as a 454 magnum? I can't seem to get this engine ID business straight. :confused:

blackhawk
02-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Would I notice any appreciable gains with this engine if I switched to Revolution exhaust, a high rise intake, and TB IV distributor? I went on a 90 mile round trip with the boat this weekend, and it ran great, but had seemed to lost some power since the last time out. We found that problem yesterday while cleaning the boat. A plug wire was laying in the bilge. I'm not looking for a firebreather, just a tad more oomph, and I think I'll be ok. It's either that or swap to a 496 for much more money.

I would think a intake,exhaust AND cam change would give you some good results. But just the intake and exhaust will give minimal results. But you would lose some weight! :D

p729lws
02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks pal. How to you link to the thread? You were right, today is not a boating day. I had to take my mother to Lowes to buy a new toilet for one of her bathrooms. I'm installing it this afternoon. Lots of fun.

Here's the thread with some photos of Barry's Revolution Marine exhaust.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42706

Barry,
There is a more direct way of linking to the thread but I don’t know how to do it. Temps not bad today and the bay should be flat due to the cloud coverage but I bet its raining somewhere in the bay right now! Didn’t know you could buy a decent toilet in the US these days. I made a run up into Windsor Canada from Detroit for a couple 3.0 gallon per flush toilets after Ivan cracked both of ours. Customs gives you a funny look when you declare 4 cases of Molson XXX and 2 toilets!

Joe,
You have enough boats to work on so I’d leave the 22 alone and just run it for awhile. Come up with a game plan for a total re-power for when the motor finally gives up the ghost. Then you’re not limited by your existing engine components.

Later,
Dan

Cuda
02-21-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm not going to do anything internally, if I can't bolt it on with the engine in place, it's not going in. I figure I can use all these things on the next engine anyway.