PDA

View Full Version : detroit boat show

goatee
02-20-2006, 12:30 AM
still no donzi's:cool:

goatee
02-20-2006, 12:34 AM
that little chris craft with the single bench seat in front, 55' i think, belongs to a friend of my brothers, pete. very nice boat. maybe my favorite out of the bunch.

goatee
02-20-2006, 12:36 AM
last ones. maybe a better view of pete's boat. i'm not sure, i havent seen them full size yet.

Tony
02-20-2006, 11:53 AM
At the Grand Rapids boat show...no Donzis there either. Very puzzling since the only Donzi dealer in the state, Performance Marine, is located in Grand Rapids! I think this is his second or third year of no-showing.

Very weak show for performance boats...a 29' Formula was about it!

On another note...is Powerquest, built in west Michigan, going under? The Formula guy said that Powerquest built zero boats last year.

goatee
02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
tony , anything told to me by a "competitor" would have to be taken with a grain of salt. i saw three beautiful powerquests yesterday, and have heard no such rumor. also heard alot of trash talk about boats that were being sold by "the other guys". it just go's round and round :propeller

goatee
02-20-2006, 12:21 PM
you got it jamie! i've been hooked on donzi for as long as i remember but one reason for that is because of the stern.
the old barrelbacks, and the chrome air vents, it all reminded me of a modern chris craft.

gold-n-rod
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
At the Grand Rapids boat show...no Donzis there either. Very puzzling since the only Donzi dealer in the state, Performance Marine, is located in Grand Rapids! I think this is his second or third year of no-showing.
Very weak show for performance boats...a 29' Formula was about it!
On another note...is Powerquest, built in west Michigan, going under? The Formula guy said that Powerquest built zero boats last year.

GR was a sorry show for go fast boats, indeed! :(

This was the second year that Hi Performance Boats was not at the show. He says it's because the return is not there for the cost of a display. I can't help but think otherwise (i.e. insufficient operating $$$) , but what do I know about his business?

I did see there's a dealer in Green Bay that promotes himself as "The Great Lakes Exclusive Donzi Dealer." Hmmm......

Powerquest was NOT at GR, first time in a long time, IIRC. Wonder why? They've been in and out of $ troubles. Used to be Powerplay, you know. I can't vouch for their production these past few years. It is true that competitors LOVE to spread rumors about each other.

OTOH, with gasoline prices the way they are, it wouldn't surprise me that we see a repeat of the 80's in terms of builder casualties. The 80's were brutal on builders. Could easily happen again.

I thought that traffic was down at GR this year. Fewer lookers prolly means fewer buyers. I'm headed to Cobo on Saturday. I'll guage crowds there, too.

Of course, there's no Donzi's there either. :frown:

:wavey:

gold-n-rod
02-20-2006, 07:39 PM
UPDATE

Evidently the rumors about PowerQuest are true. You can read the whole sorid story over 20 pages at OSO.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115333&page=1&pp=20