PDA

View Full Version : Thank god I've got an OMC Cobra

onesubdrvr
02-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, I was outside working on the boat today (building a new sunpad), and decided, hey it's been a couple of weeks, I think I'll run the engine for a little while.

So, I put the pressure washer away (was cleaning the bilge), attached the hose, and started it up, all was well, watching temp, every thing is OK, wipe down a seat a little, glance back over at the temperature guage, and it's creeping up, a little faster than usual, but OK, engine was idling a little rough, so I bring it up in RPM's to about 1400, notice temp is climbing faster, faster, get's up to about 180, so I peak my head over the side to make sure the water is still running, nothing from the exhaust, I hop out of the boat, notice that there is no water running from the hose?! Just then I realize that my wonderful daughter is standing there, the same one that threw out $90.00 in a cigarette pack one time when we went boating,....hmmmm,.....so I HAULED A$$ to the hose bib, and turned the water BACK ON!? Ran back to the boat, verified flow at the drive, hop in, and temp at's about 210!!! watched it for another couple of seconds, still climbing, shut it off before it got to 220.

got back out of the boat, lets say a little p.o'd. smoke coming from the pump cover on the drive, toasted I'm sure!!! I asked her, did you turn off the water? to which she answers yes,.......why? because I thought you were done!! DONE??? THE DARNED ENGINE WAS RUNNING WHEN SHE SHUT IT OFF!!! SHE'S SEEN ME DO THIS A DOZEN TIMES!! SHE BLEW UP MY BOAT!!!! :kaioken: :splat: :kaioken: :banghead: :bonk: :embarasse :confused:

So, just had another thing added to the gosh darned list of things to do! :splat:

Anyone want to have a kid auction? Maybe a pool as to what will hapen with her and my boat next? :bonk: :confused: :bawling:

Wayne

Cuda
02-19-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure I understand, what was the cobra drive deal about?

onesubdrvr
02-19-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure I understand, what was the cobra drive deal about?
Ooops, sorry,

on the Cobra, only 3 bolts on a plastic cover to access the water pump, then 3 to swap it out, all 3/8", EASY job, MUCH easier than an alpha / bravo etc.

Cuda
02-19-2006, 07:13 PM
So, did you blow the engine, or just burn the impeller? I can't see that short term overheat hurting the engine. I hope not anyway.

onesubdrvr
02-19-2006, 07:17 PM
So, did you blow the engine, or just burn the impeller? I can't see that short term overheat hurting the engine. I hope not anyway.
No engine problems, just the impeller, I'm gonna take it apart and fix it Tuesday,....kids and momma will be home tomorrow, so it won't happen then.

If it's any worse, I'm NOT going to be happy.

Wayne

goatee
02-19-2006, 07:27 PM
i was gonna say,,,??? cobra?, blew up my boat?,,
how does this story end??? im sitting hear waiting for the happy ending and alls well, but nothing.:boggled:
i wasnt sure if the boat really blew or what.:splat:
but i'm glad to hear its not major.