PDA

View Full Version : Chevy / GMC 1500 HD

Jraysray
02-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Looking to purcahse a 2003 and up Chevy/GMC 1500 HD. Good or bad idea? Let's here it!

gold-n-rod
02-18-2006, 04:49 PM
I think you'll be surprised for how little one can be bought. The depreciation on the GM trucks is hellacious. The HD might be a little better than the conventional x-cab half tonners. Those dropped like a stone, especially after the "everyone gets the employee price" binge that GM was on.

I also think you'll be surprised at how much these trucks have been cheapened over the past few years. This is not just GM, I think the same can be said for the Dodge and Ford half ton trucks, too.

Plan on rotors and pads by 50K miles as well as being nickeled and dimed on little **** that used to last forever.

I'm due to replace my '01 Sierra next year and I am afraid I'll be going back to Toyota :shocking:

Another thing to consider. If you are buying it to tow a Donzi, consider a Sierra Denali with quadrasteer. The Denali is a little more stout and nicer inside, too.

Jraysray
02-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah the price seems to be good. Thats what concerns me a little. It also seems to be a good fit for me. I don't really need a 3/4 ton truck but the HD gives me a little extra when needed. Pulling the 18C or whatever. The 6.0L seems good too.

Any concerns on the engine or drivetrain?

gold-n-rod
02-18-2006, 07:35 PM
The '01-'03's had trouble with cold start knocking (due to excessive piston clearance) especially with the 6.0 motors, but that seems to not be an issue with the newer ones. Otherwise, I think they are pretty reliable.

The 6.0 has some nice extra grunt for towing in my experience.

I really think you should look for a Sierra Denail. It has [I]almost[I] the HD suspension, heavier brakes, the 6.0, all wheel drive (full-time) and Q-steer. EVERYONE I know with the Q-steer absolutely loves it. The Denali guys are really upset about GM dropping that option. You'll find it in every '02-'04 Sierra Denali plus select '04 Chevy and GMC's 1500's (pretty rare).

Jraysray
02-18-2006, 09:07 PM
The '01-'03's had trouble with cold start knocking (due to excessive piston clearance) especially with the 6.0 motors, but that seems to not be an issue with the newer ones. Otherwise, I think they are pretty reliable.
The 6.0 has some nice extra grunt for towing in my experience.
I really think you should look for a Sierra Denail. It has [I]almost[I] the HD suspension, heavier brakes, the 6.0, all wheel drive (full-time) and Q-steer. EVERYONE I know with the Q-steer absolutely loves it. The Denali guys are really upset about GM dropping that option. You'll find it in every '02-'04 Sierra Denali plus select '04 Chevy and GMC's 1500's (pretty rare).

So what is the expected price range for a Sierra Denail?

mrfixxall
02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
One of my cust's has a 2002 crew cab hd2500 forsale 100.000 mile warr.it has 42000 miles dark grey with dark grey int..no dents dings or a scratch on it.$20.000 will take it....

p.s. go to traderonline.com and ck prices...

What golden rod is talking about is good,but keep in mind that all those extra moving parts do ware..

mikev
02-21-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a 2001 1/2 ton silverado and have 106k on it so far and have done nothing to it accept oil changes every 3k and a tune up and tranny fluid change at 100k. havent even had to do the front brakes yet and yes the pads are still good. best truck i ever had it has the 5.3 and it had the piston slap problem till i started putting 10w30 in it instead of 5w30 that solved the noise issue. and pulls my boat and trailer that weigh approx 4500 lbs like its not even there.