PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS? Looking at garmin 276C

zimm17
02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
I was all hyped up to get the new Alpine Blackbird portable GPS for my truck. Then I started looking around and saw that the Garmin 276c does both auto nav AND chartplotting. It looks like it would fit behind the windshield on my boat. Anyone have any experience with it?

I have a 188c plotter from my dad's old donzi, but it's way too big to fit anywhere in my boat.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/

Since I'm moving to Virginia Beach, which is a new area to me, I think a GPS would be a great asset to learning the area.

TuxedoPk
02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
I have that unit and find it has really great screen resolution. I'm using it with the Bluechart software.

Randy (RANMAN) recommended the unit to me and has a lot more hours playing with it that I do. When we last spoke I believe Randy was using his w/o Bluechart. You might email him for his his opinion.

RickR
02-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Zimm
I just installed a Garmin 182C (same size as a 188C) in my 22.
It's a little large and I had to make my own bracket but it will fit. I also use it on the dash of the pickup.

Just Say N20
02-16-2006, 08:16 PM
I have a Garmin 176C, the model the 276C replaced, and I like it very much. It seems to be a good compromise between screen size (big enough to be usable), and unit size (small enough to fit about anywhere). I use the Lake Michigan Blue water chip (I don't think that's the actual name of the chip) when on the water, and take it out, and use the "sandbag" base for it on the dash of my car using the cigarette lighter power source.

I have never had any problems, and it is fairly intuitive to use.

mrfixxall
02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I use my nextel with teletrack......it mph too ........

BaldEagle
02-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, the 276C is a nice unit. I've used it in my car and boat. You need to buy the unlock codes for bluewater chart. the battery life is good, display is good and it is for the most part user friendly. I have used a number of GPS units and I would reccommend this. I bought it primarily for use in my car and motorcycle, C18 and a backup on my cruiser.

Lenny
02-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I also have the 276C. I haven't done much with it, so I can't speak either way. I have the Bluecharts as well, Seattle one. It hasn't hic-cupped once, and shows me what I need to know.

I also have two Garmin hand helds for some reason :rolleyes:

No problems either.

Schnook
02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
For comparison's sake, what's the opinion between Garmin and Lowrance? I've been told that Lowrance has excellent customer service, but it looks like a lot of people like Garmin.

Ranman
02-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Here's a gool link. I'll try to find pics of my 276C install and post as well.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35317&highlight=garmin+276

zimm17
02-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Great link! West marine/boat us now has their version of the 276c (plus) which includes a brighter screen and some software updates that I don't remember what they were. One was you can pick powerboat/car/sailboat/offroad modes and only those applicable pages come up when you scroll though. I guess that keeps you from having to scroll past the sonar page when driving down the road?

Anyway, It's on sale for $999 for the C276, boat and car mount, blue chart CD and america maps CD, a memory chip and cables.

I almost bought it, but then I saw a couple of you are using the 188c sized unit- which I have sitting upstairs that's already paid for! Plus I have the sounder for it too. I have to see if I can handle cutting a huge hole in my dash to flush mount it or surface mount it behind the windshield. I like the flush mount, but I'd hate to have the unit crap out and find out the newer models are a different size!

RickR
02-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Zimm
I use my GPSs ( I own 2x 48s, 76S, 128 and 2 182Cs) for navigating (and grouper fishing on "the other boat") and have found it works MUCH better if it is mounted as close as possible to your line of sight.

Ranman
02-18-2006, 02:43 PM
This is my favorite source for GPS hardware. THese guys are awesome/ Excellent service. Check here before you buy...

www.gpsdiscount.com

Here's a pic of the install on my 18 Classic. I made a "plug" and mounted it where my speedo goes. It fits well in the space and doesn't blok anything.

The 276C is held in tight, at my fingertips, easy to see, and works like a champ. I simply can't live without it.

I also hav a mount in my F150 and a beanbag set-up for JEnn's Explorer.

Oh, and there's no need for an extra antenna either.

RickR
02-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Instead of the mushroom antenna I used the removable antenna off of a Garmin GPS 48 on the 182.
Pics up fine.

Pismo
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I love my Garmin 176c but I do have a problem. I have owned 3 garmins now and all three have died within 3 years. Mild use, no abuse, no falls, etc, just non-operational one day all of a sudden, always after about 3 years.

zimm17
02-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Wow you dug this out of the archives. I went with the 276 mounted to the right of the steering wheel. Works great. I've had it a year with no problems so far.

BigGrizzly
02-28-2007, 08:49 AM
In my car and boars I use Lowrance. The boat I have a Ifinder and a 3300c. In my car I have the Iway500. I have had them for 5 and 3 years respectively. I have showed it to several trucker friends of mine and they have all bough them and canned the laptop systems. The Iway500 (soon to be 600) has a 5 inch screen and has land contours like mountain elevations. Knox trucking bough 5 more for his fleet, he is sold. The ones in the boat have never let me down. I have compared them in real life and that is all I use.This is an opinion, but after 45+ years in boats using all systems I think it is valid.

ATLDONZI
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I am partial to my Garmin 76cx its water resistant, small and i got it for a killer deal with my west marine port supply wholesale acct. i like it because i didnt want to permanently mount a gps, i wanted to keep that timeless look in my sweet 16.

HOWARD O
01-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Instead of the mushroom antenna I used the removable antenna off of a Garmin GPS 48 on the 182.
Pics up fine.

Moldy oldy thread, but I plan on using my old 182c for my boat and am actively seeking a detachable antenna off of a GPS 48 just as Rick has done. Anybody have one of these chingaderrases laying around? I posted in the wanted forum.......thanks!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55613

Carl C
01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I like my Lowrance 5300. Whatever you decide on check the prices at www.thegpsstore.com (http://www.thegpsstore.com)

HOWARD O
01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I like my Lowrance 5300. Whatever you decide on check the prices at www.thegpsstore.com (http://www.thegpsstore.com)

I have a Lowrance 500c in my truck, it has been a fantastic unit for years.

I am just looking for an antenna so I don't have to use an external one for my Garmin 182c that is off of my fishing skiff. It's a great chartplotter and since I already own it, might as well put it to use!

zimm17
01-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Well since you dug up my old thread... that 276 was a disaster to use for road navigation. No touch screen, so to put in an address you have to scroll through the whole alphabet for every letter or number. Talk about driver distraction. As a marine unit, it does it's job well enough, but the garmin only memory cards suck. For anyone reading this thread looking for a GPS, get a newer touch screen with an SD or micro SD chip capability.

As for road nav, you can't beat the wide screen Garmin Nuvi's. They rock.