PDA

View Full Version : Truck tires

Reedy
02-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I was going to ask if anyone had an opinion on truck tires, but that would be a stupid question on this site, now wouldn't it?
How about:
Does anyone have experience with Pro Comp tires vs. Bridgestone or BFGoodrich, all A/T style, and mostley highway. Tow vehicle tires.

Carl C
02-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I like Michelin A/Ts. The aggresive tread grips well on wet or unpaved launch ramps.

dr
02-16-2006, 09:27 AM
You probably know this but Tirerack has a great analysis and feed back section on their web site…that’s where I always start…www.tirerack.com

mrfixxall
02-16-2006, 09:50 AM
I was going to ask if anyone had an opinion on truck tires, but that would be a stupid question on this site, now wouldn't it?
How about:
Does anyone have experience with Pro Comp tires vs. Bridgestone or BFGoodrich, all A/T style, and mostley highway. Tow vehicle tires.

I would stick with a brand name tire that you can get over the counter in case you have trouble over the road...goodyear,dunlop mich, areall good tires and you can always get a replacement if you ever hav trouble on the road....

Reedy
02-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Yes that is a great site, but they don't list the Pro Comp brand. That might tell me something right there.........

Rootsy
02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
i've run pro comp mud terrains in 35 inch flavor... they dig like a mofo, clean out well and wear faster than an SOB... not sure bout the A/T's... i run cooper AT/S on my F150... i cannot complain a bit about them... price is reasonable, they were long, clean out well and if you have enough weight in the truck they'll dig and you can go just bout anywhere without issue... i am on my 3rd set of coopers.. originals were goodyears and my truck has 202000 miles on it...

donzi182003
02-16-2006, 10:44 AM
If you want quiet I would not go with Pro Comp Mud Terrains. I bought a set of 4 brand new 35x12.50 Pro Comp M/T's 6 months ago and I sold them 2 months ago. They were very loud on the highway. It was so annoying to me that I had to remove them and sell them for a big loss. Mind you my truck is not my daily driver. But.. They were awesome off road. Considering the fact that I do not go off road, put on a set of TOYO Open Country A/T's,and the truck rides like my Cadillac. I highly recommend these tires. My father had them on a Super Duty F-250 and they lasted 45k miles with no issues.

Just my opinion

Rootsy
02-16-2006, 11:01 AM
If you want quiet I would not go with Pro Comp Mud Terrains. I bought a set of 4 brand new 35x12.50 Pro Comp M/T's 6 months ago and I sold them 2 months ago. They were very loud on the highway. It was so annoying to me that I had to remove them and sell them for a big loss. Mind you my truck is not my daily driver. But.. They were awesome off road. Considering the fact that I do not go off road, put on a set of TOYO Open Country A/T's,and the truck rides like my Cadillac. I highly recommend these tires. My father had them on a Super Duty F-250 and they lasted 45k miles with no issues.
Just my opinion

yes they pro comp mud terrains are LOUD... the truck they are on has made numerous road trips.. it doesn't have a whole lot of sound deadening... and by the time you stop for fuel (this thing has 2 tanks and gets 11 mpg) your head feels like it is gonna explode... imagine riding 600 miles one way on these things at 65 mph... holy wha

for sand they suck.. they dig when you want to float... short of paddles, worn out super swampers (not the boggers) are the cats ass on sand...

motorcity
02-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Bridgestone Revo's are a great choice. Checkout the Tirerack.com reviews stated in the prveious post. They wear well, quiet and handle very good.

florida gator
02-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I am about to install a leveling kit and bigger tires. I have heard good things about the pro comps and have been seriously considering them this time around.

briangmr
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I replaced the BFG A/Ts on my truck with aggressive off-road tires (Krawlers) and after 15,000 miles (less than a year) yanked them off and put the A/Ts back on. The A/Ts wear much better, help gas mileage, have superior wet traction (read better panic stops fully loaded in the rain), are easier on the ears, are very durable (against rocks and sticks) and have respectable off-road traction. In fact, I preferred the off-road performance of my A/Ts to my Krawlers in the desert sand and over sandstone rocks. They didn't look as cool as my Krawlers, but everything else outweighed my ego. Keep 'em properly inflated and you can't beat the A/Ts for all around performance and value.

-Brian

glashole
02-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I have just switched from the BFG mud terrain to the BFG all-terrain and love them

I was skeptical about the traction etc but am very happy with them, very quiet on the highway and I have never been stuck in snow etc..

I made the switch because all of my friends have them and wouldn't use anything else

regards

Shea

mikev
02-21-2006, 01:41 PM
i put the yokohama geolander a/t on my truck 2 years ago they work great and are quiet and have great traction.

Cuda
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
The best all around tires I ever had on a truck were the Goodyear ATS that came on my 99 F 150. I think I put about 80 thousand miles on them, gripped well, and quiet on the road. They weren't cheap though!:frown: