PDA

View Full Version : Bravo XZ Drive vs. XR Drive

Scott Heidt
02-15-2006, 10:53 AM
I am looking at Bravo XZ and XR Drives. What are the pros and cons of each and what is the max hp for each one.

I can get the XZ Drive used with aprox 100 hours fresh water for $4900.00 or a new XR drive for $6300.00. Money is a factor, but if the XR drive is the way to go the extra $1,400.00 might be well spent.

I feel that the new XR is the way to go, but I would like some input.

502 Aprox 500 HP
Hornet II

Also, what is a good external steering set up that won't break the bank.

Thanks for you help!

Scott

roadtrip se
02-15-2006, 04:42 PM
The main difference between these two drives is the way the gearing is cut. The XZ is cut in a hellical sequence. The XR is a straight cut. This is supposed to dramtically increase the strength of the drive internals. I have a buddy running a big offshore with 800HP+ on each side and swinging 5 blade maximus 32s with zero problems with XRs.

The XZ was only made for a very short period of time and did have trouble living behind some bigger offshore boats. I don't think you would have a problem with it in your application, but I would go XR given the choice.

I have a 22 Classic packing a 500EFI with the XR upper and a IMCO XR shortie. I believe it is rated to 550HP officially by Mercury. I turn some big props in the 29 pitch range and have had no issues with this drive through some very "vigorous" running over the past three years.

Go XR and don't look back!

Magicallbill
02-16-2006, 02:24 AM
Roadtrip is correct..

I have an 18 '02 Scorpion 377 with an XZ Drive,and I'm on my 3rd (yes, 3rd,) in the 41/2 years I've had the boat.
The 1st 2 drives had a casting problem. They leaked out the blue drive oil when I tilted it up after all winter of storing the drive down. Plus drive #2 lost reverse when I was idling up to a dock in St Joe, Michigan.
Mercrusier stood behind their warranty,and my Service Manager was great about getting me replacements,but that didn't make up for the frusteration of paying 48K for a top-notch rig,and losing boating time over breakdowns that shouldnt've occurred.
My current (3rd) XZ seems to be fine. I'm not surprised they didn't last long.
I'd stay away from them...

Magical Bill