PDA

View Full Version : Prochargers? Any thoughts or input

FISHIN SUCKS
02-15-2006, 05:37 AM
I am thinking about putting one of these things on. I have a 454 + .030 (approximately 425-450HP) with a king cobra. So, I have a few questions:

1. Is this a bad idea with what I have to work with?

2. If not, what model would you suggest?

3. Where's the best deal?

4. How much of a pain are these things to put on (somewhat echanically inclined, I R/R'd the motors in my corvette and Blackwidow last year)?

Thanx in advance for any input.

Ed Donnelly
02-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Several members are running Prochargers. I am in the process of installing mine. Not too bad to install on a carb'd 454. Jetting is very critical. Give Lakeside restorations a call. They are one of the advertisers here....Ed

mrfixxall
02-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Their all good and fairly easy to install..If it were me i would go with a procharger..for a little extra money they seem to perform better...

The Hedgehog
02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
I have heard that the install is easier on a carb engine. ATI accidentally sent the carb instructions with my MPI blower kit and they looked more straight forward.

The folks on OSO say to get your carb re-jetted by Dean Nickerson and it will run great.
I hear that the KC drive is plenty strong for your application. Centrifugal blowers are easier than drives than roots and screw blowers since they generate peak boost at higher RPM. I don't start generating positive pressure until around 3800 rpm.

Call Jamie at Lakeside (570-639-2628) if you need specifics. He is a Procharger dealer and has done a number of installs. His pricing and support are very solid. I bought one from him earlier this year. He will shoot straight to you about how well it will work with your particular application.

It is a great way to pick up 10+ mph. Plus the blower whine sounds cool at higher RPM.
As a matter of fact, I think that I am getting ready to enjoy some "whine" for brunch this morning. I have another prop to test before it gets cold again.

joel3078
02-17-2006, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=FISHIN SUCKS]I am thinking about putting one of these things on. I have a 454 + .030 (approximately 425-450HP) with a king cobra. QUOTE]

Hey there again! What kind of speed were you gettting with your Widow when it was stock, and then after the 425-450hp upgrades? Mine is bone stock at 365hp and does 60mph - 1/3 tank a gas and 2 people. I am guessing it should take around 500hp to go 70mph. Sound realistic or not?

blackhawk
02-17-2006, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=FISHIN SUCKS]I am thinking about putting one of these things on. I have a 454 + .030 (approximately 425-450HP) with a king cobra. QUOTE]
Hey there again! What kind of speed were you gettting with your Widow when it was stock, and then after the 425-450hp upgrades? Mine is bone stock at 365hp and does 60mph - 1/3 tank a gas and 2 people. I am guessing it should take around 500hp to go 70mph. Sound realistic or not?

What boat are you running? If you're running 365 at the prop now I would guess that 500 AT THE PROP should get you close to 70.

Play around with this calculator (http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm), I have found it to be pretty accurate if you enter your current data properly.

Enter your current weight(with fuel and passengers), propshaft hp and speed and calculate your constant. Once you know your constant you can play with the hp to calculate speeds.

joel3078
02-17-2006, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=joel3078]
What boat are you running? If you're running 365 at the prop now I would guess that 500 AT THE PROP should get you close to 70.
Play around with this calculator (http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm), I have found it to be pretty accurate if you enter your current data properly.
Enter your current weight(with fuel and passengers), propshaft hp and speed and calculate your constant. Once you know your constant you can play with the hp to calculate speeds.

Same boat as fishing sucks, a 24' black widow. For grins, you guys wanna see pics and home video go here.
http://www.joelek.com/pages/11/index.htm

Boat is for sale this now if someone wants to pony up the money. Of course price is negotiable but lowballs will be sent packing. This is a great boat and we will keep it and enjoy it till the right buyer comes along.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanx for your responses! I have done some checking as well and some people are telling me if I don't have forged pistons that I will be looking at a rebuild within a couple of years. Any thoughts? I cannot reach the guy who rebuilt it before me so so I don't know what's in their, just sounds good!

When I first got the boat, she ran in the low 70's. After a few seasons of getting the usual dings in the prop (14 1/4), and getting it refinished each winter, she now runs in the low 60's. So last year I got a new prop (14 3/4), she is still in the low 60's, but I have lost 500-600 rpm's (used to run in the 5000-5200 range). Guess I need to go back to 14 1/4.

The goal: 80mph. That's where this procharger idea came from. With the right prop and this procharger, maybe it'll work or possibly come close.
Any thoughts are much appreciated,
tom

RedDog
02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
I love the 24 Widow. With a ProCharger it should be even more awesome!

boldts
02-21-2006, 08:03 AM
You might also talk to Big Grizzly who has run the ProCharger on his Criterion for as long as I've known him. AOTH 2000. Incredable feeling of being planted in the seat when you give her the juice.

Joel, I saw your Widow for sale in one of the online boat for sale websites. It looks like it just came off the factory line. Maybe better. I also have always liked the Black Widow models. Wish they would have done them in Blue, but oh well. I'd love to have one and if the dollars somehow fell into my hands, yours would be at the top of my list. Good luck selling her.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-22-2006, 04:55 AM
[QUOTE=joel3078]
Hey Scott,
Thanx for the calculator, simple enough that even I can use. My problem is (among others) I don't know how much HP is at the shaft. The original 454 King Cobra's were rated at 375 HP. Now that the motor has been rebuilt, I can only guess. There is a shop here in town that has a dyno, but I don't know if they can tell the HP off the shaft.