PDA

View Full Version : A little bit about Dubai... reporting from the Middle East

AquaV
02-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey everyone... oddly enough someone asked about Dubai (which I was at last month!) Soooo... let me share some of my pictures because I freaking LOVE this place!!!

Alrighty, know that I am HORRIBLE at taking pictures... I never take the time, soooo here ya go.

Dubai is located in the UAE (United Arab Emirates). There are 7 Emirates in all (one being the well known Abu Dhabi, you know, the one Garfield made famous for sending Odie!)

Dubai is the place that is creating the Palm Island. Yup, an island shaped like a palm tree. The sheikh that was the mastermind behind this creation passed on in January... apparently in Australia with two hot young chicks...hahah... go him! Anyways, the man was pure genius and knew what to do to really make Dubai a fabulous place for people all over the world. It is very lenient on dress code comparatively to all the other Middle Eastern countries. It is very westernized. There is a fabulous beach (Jumeirah Beach) and yes, you can wear bikinis on it... though might opt to keep the thong in the suitcase.

Dubai also recently came up with the "Ski Dubai" an indoor snow skiing facility (there is one found in Japan also!) Soooo, even when it is 140 degrees outside, you can still go snow skiing! I love this place! (It is located in the Mall of the Emirates). And sorr, no good pics of this one! There are TONS of malls and fabulous places to shop. While I was there, the DSF (Dubai Shopping Festival) was going on. For almost a full month, most designer clothing, shoes, and just about everything else is on sale, usually from 40% to 70% off. (Yeah, I had a blast! That's a whole other discussion topic! Ha.)

Let's see... what else. Its a two-hour flight from Baghdad to Dubai and well worth it. AND they have fabulous sushi... and seriously, oddly enough... the best steak that I have ever sunk my teeth into. Its an expnsive place, but well worth it. The exchange rate is about 3.5 dirham... and its pretty much evenly spread.

When I went, I stayed at the Emirates Tower hotel. Holy fabulous! I loved it.

Also, while I was there... we found out that the lovely Desert Classic Golf Tournament was going to be held at the Emirates Golf Club... these pics are about 2 weeks before Tiger hit on the same greens. Hahaha. Talk about a blast... and how can you not love the views??? (sorry kinda crappy pics of us... I am just not doing the golf attire justice!)

If anyone ever has any questions, feel free to ask! THere is so much more to tell you, but this post would end up days and days long! Ohhh and they have the most freaking magnificent spas!!!!

Also, have attached a pic Charlie took of me.. don't ask what face I am making... but I think he got punished afterwards. And for the LADIES... enjoy the sweet piece o' meat that is mine. YUMMY! And 100% hell yes he has a freaking fabulous six/eight pack amongst other things! HAHAHAHA Hey, the ladies haven't had any meat in a while... and he is covered, so there should be no problems with posting this delicious picture.

Ohh and last but not least, I attached a random pic of a Sony Advertisement that I actually saw in Dubai... all I can say is wow. Ha.

- AV

Lenny
02-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Isn't Dubai where the ONLY 7 Star Hotel on Earth is located?

Also, my neighbour is running a pile driving crew (concrete encased, whatever) that is doing the similar "odd shaped Island" deal off of Thailand. A private ultra-expensive Community, that is serviced by a Gondola to the nearest shore. He is doing the uprights for the Gondola.

AquaV
02-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Speaking of the only 7-star... you can see it in the 4th picture I think. That pic is taken from the driving range at the Emirates Golf Course. It is shaped like a sail boat, and one of its sister hotels sits next to it (not in the picture) that is shaped like a wave. Pretty freaking cool stuff.

Actually, you might be able to see two disks type shaped things toward the top of the hotel... they double as helo pads and tennis courts. I believe there are some pictures floating around of Andre Agassi playing tennis up there.

I think I will be taking a detour on my next vacation and going back to Dubai... and hopfully stay at least one night at the Burj al Arab (sailboat hotel)... unfortunately, its about $1000 a night.... but well worth it so I have heard! Wooooo-Hoooooo!!

Very cool on the island thing, thouh Thailand has so many islands, surprised they are adding more. Ha. Actually, I believe I will be hitting Thailand in early summer, so I can report into ya about how the project is going! Hahahah.

- A

Carl C
02-12-2006, 06:13 PM
That's cool. How about pictures of the boating action on your next visit? Is gas dirt cheap there?:starfish:

AquaV
02-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Ha.. actually I asked one of the cab drivers and if I recall, the gas was comparable to the US... but I will double check next time I go through there.

And as for boats, will def. be hanging out there on the tail end of my trip... and I shall take many a pictures. Trust me, these guys go all out. Unfortunately, during my January trip, with the sheikh passing away, there wasn't much extra-curricular play time. No beach action for Amanda. But this time around, ave no fear... its on!!!

And of course, I shall post pictures! I will also be on the look-out for Donzis... hahaha

Of course!

- A

AquaV
02-12-2006, 06:40 PM
I shall make it my quest to find him. Any idea who it is or was it spotted or what?

And will def. send more pics... I had just broken down and purchased that camera right before I went to the golf course. Cameras don't tend to last too long in the desert. Will def. be posting many more pics soon!

- A

Lenny
02-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Sorry 'bout that. Brain fart. My neighbour is in SINGAPORE doing this stuff.

...an Island off of SINGAPORE.

Sorry... :)