PDA

View Full Version : Boring...

MrsDigger
02-11-2006, 10:55 PM
anymore...

Carl C
02-12-2006, 06:16 AM
It's cool having new members in Sweden and Dubai though. Where the heck is Dubai anyway?

AquaV
02-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Dubai is in the United Arab Emirates... approx a two hour flight from Baghdad as I went there last month)....another one of the Emirates is Abu Dhabi (made famous by Garfield always trying to mail Odie there! Ha!)

Actually, I will post a seperate post with some pics from my trip so that people can truly enjoy it. It is the most westernized area in the Middle East. Jumeirah Beach is absolutely fabulous and yes, you can even wear bikinis!!

It is truly a melting pot in the Middle East. This is also the place where they are building Palm Island. The cheapest lot on the island is over a million dollars!!!

Like I said, I will post some fabulous pics for ya!!

- AV

harbormaster
02-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Darcy, boring maybe to you. But its just fine with me.

Hey Amanda How are you!

fasttrucker
02-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Do you want me to start up some trouble?.:cool: ..I can post about how slow that doc fellows boat is and why he is chicken to race me!:yes:

Dr. Dan
02-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Do you want me to start up some trouble?.:cool: ..I can post about how slow that doc fellows boat is and why he is chicken to race me!:yes:

:puke: Bill, That's a Dead Horse, we all know your boat is faster than my small block!

Besides I have to go shovel 20" of Jack Frost off the cars and driveway!

We'll run yet, maybe when that Undertakers Boat gets broken in, and we can get some other boys to join in the fun!

Doc of Boring Places and Major Snowfall :spongebob

boxy
02-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Post some GPS numbers, show up when you say you are going to, then trash talk....... :D :D

fasttrucker
02-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Ive decided not to brag about my how fast my boat is anymore.:biggrin: Its sort of gone a little too far.:lookaroun Ive know doc. for 5-years and he knows that Iam just kidding around,but others reading this might feel that Iam being a jerk.:propeller So to set the record staight,Iam sorry............ Ms.Digger I guess the boring will just have to continue.:odie:

AquaV
02-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Scot! Have missed you to pieces! Looks like I might be in town for a few days in March... I am doing a little cross-country action.... hitting Florida for a couple days, Boston, LA and maybe one other spot. Hmmm... let the games begin!!!

How are you????

- A

BERTRAM BOY
02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
If you're going to be in Boston, you'd BETTER call.........

AquaV
02-12-2006, 06:05 PM
100% promise. I should be there for about 4-5 days!! I think right around St. Patrick's... where else would I spend St. Patty's? hahaha.

- A

AquaV
02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Hahah yup, I said Florida. Though I probably won't get too far down the coast. I will be in the Orlando area for like 2 or 3 days. :(

- A

BERTRAM BOY
02-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I emailed ya around Christmas time......musta got lost in cyberspace somewhere.

MrsDigger
02-13-2006, 09:59 AM
*sigh* people will misunderstand...

Boring because there the boat sits, covered...and it feels like a long time until spring...

so boring that I have actually taken up birdwatching as a hobby (not kidding here) and I look past Freedom every day with, yes, binoculars, as I wait to see if any birds...SPRING-type birds...are at the bird feeder. Of course, I don't actually know what birds are supposed to be here in the spring, since birds fly south in the winter, and this IS "south."

Boring because the soonest boating moment is still probably a long ways off.

Boring because it is too cold to play outside, much less play outside in the water.

Boring because after Christmas, what is the point of winter for us non-skiers? And have you ever actually tried to WATCH Olympic Curling? Sober?

Hurry up with summer, already!

roadtrip se
02-13-2006, 10:33 AM
After living in the land of no trees and roadrunners, the move to Michigan has been awesome for bird watching. Let's just call it an evolving sport...

Of course, if you put seed out for birds, you get to be in the critter re-location business on occassion. I have had visits with multiple racoons, possums, and skunks. I capture and release at an undesignated location across I96 using the reasoning that no critter will try to cross a six lane highway for a little free food!

I won't even get into the interactions that I get to have with the woodpeckers living in a cedar plank house or the creativity that squirrels can use to hit the mother load, even when there is food in easy reach for them.

Last week, I was coming up the drive and almost ran into a deer eating from the bird feeder. So instead of having the herd wipe out our bird feeder every night, we're throwing a little corn out now. Last night we had seven, including these two blue plate special, early diners. Notice the one munching on the bird seed any way!

As long as the winter can be here on the tundra, we appreciate the visitors to our yard, but feeding the sparrows can turn into something else all together!

Lenny
02-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Todd, we have "hundreds" of 'em here. They are tame like pets. People feed them by hand but they live in the wild. With few Cougars around, they have it made. Unfortunately, every year, EVERY Rhododendrum, Daffodil, Tulip, floweringing anything gets eaten by these things and forget about a garden.

So now, I leave the Shepherd out all day in the fenced acreage and let him keep things at bay.

Did I mention that my bulbs are coming up? First sign of spring and 55 degrees. :) :) :)

MrsDigger
02-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I have had quite an adventure with the bird feeding. On my first attempt, I got one of those bird bell things...and I thought, well, I'd better see if they like this before I go to the effort of hanging it up on something. I set it out on the deck rail, and the first day, nothing...the second day...nothing. The third day, I looked out, and the bird bell was gone. I went outside and looked around and saw a few seeds, but no sign of the bird bell...and then I looked over in the yard and there was a big pile of....feathers! Apparently I had lured some poor unsuspecting bird to an untimely demise. Not only that, but whatever ate the bird must have had a hankering for an after dinner snack, because it hauled away the entire bird bell.

My second attempt led me to the lawn and garden department, where I bought a couple of those little shepherd's hooks. When I say little, I mean, little. I got the 3' high ones. Not smart. I stuck one in the middle of the yard, close to the house, and hung...you guessed it...another bird bell. No action. Of course, it was only about a foot and a half off the ground, and I did notice some gnaw marks on the bottom of the seed bell, but no birds. Meanwhile, I bought one of those little lantern shaped bird feeders, filled it with generic wild bird seed, and hung it from the fence in the back yard. It took a few days, but finally a few birds started snacking.

Digger got the binoculars out of the boat for me, and I started watching for birds. I still had the bell thing in the yard, and no bird interest at all, but they were active around the seed house on the fence...until, before my eyes, all the birds disappeared. At this point, I was a little perplexed, until I saw movement behind the fence....

....I could see the outline of a big, reddish-gold animal, and I thought it was a fox, from the size of it. We have a lot of foxes here, so I figured...wow, birdwatching has allowed me to see more critters than birds! Then...it leapt up onto the fence...and I looked right into its hungry eyes. I think I must have taken a step back, because the creature was enormous, through the binoculars....and when I lowered the binocs, there it sat....a giant cat, licking its chops. This is one BIG cat! The light dawns, and I know what happened to the birds, and who was responsible for the leftover feathers.

I went back to the store and got the 7' shepherd's hooks, and I'm having much more luck. This morning there were two birds each at both of the feeders, and a line of their friends sitting atop the fence. Of course, I don't know what kind of birds they are--the only ones I've identified in my birdwatching experience thus far are a pair of cardinals, one bluebird, and some mourning doves. I did see a little tiny woodpecker (only because he flew into view of the binoculars while I was watching the doves), but I can't identify what kind of woodpecker it is. Doesn't look a bit like Woody.

Rootsy
02-13-2006, 11:38 AM
i tend to watch birdies too... cept it's generally through the scope and crosshairs :biggrin.: ... hey i get bored in the winter too... cept well this winter of course with a house and boat project :bonk: ... and bunny rabbits are scarce around this generaly area.. and well patti seems to frown on the thought of freshly skinned bunny in the skillet in "her" kitchen... :rolleyes:

roadtrip se
02-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Todd, we have "hundreds" of 'em here. They are tame like pets. People feed them by hand but they live in the wild. With few Cougars around, they have it made. Unfortunately, every year, EVERY Rhododendrum, Daffodil, Tulip, floweringing anything gets eaten by these things and forget about a garden.
So now, I leave the Shepherd out all day in the fenced acreage and let him keep things at bay.
Did I mention that my bulbs are coming up? First sign of spring and 55 degrees. :) :) :)

We got it too, especially around deer week, when it seems like the whole state shuts down to head up north to do a little hunting. What is funny are all the articles in the paper about how there are more deer here in southern Michigan than up North, but the tradition continues.

It got a little too close for comfort this year, when I was out tending the grill and I swear the neighbor took a couple of shots off of his back porch at some fresh venison on the hoof.

I should have known something was up when we moved to the area and all of the local bodyshops advertise "deer hit" specials! They can be a problem, but we like having them around. I've got plenty of other items to take care of here at the "State Park" as we call it, without planting snacks for bambi to munch on any ways! My John Deere and Stihl dealer love to see me coming.

Lenny
02-13-2006, 11:42 AM
We used to feed the birds, until it got expensive and we couldn't sleep and the rats showed up.

They started going through more food than I could afford. Buying 20 pound sacks of sunflower seeds and mixed bird seed, and who knows what else, and having it GONE in about 2-3 days, squirrels, rats and pigeons showing up. Hundreds of incredible wild colourful birds too, but the clincher was the Stellar jays, (large bright blue birds) that would make more noise than I thought was possible from a bird. AND, they would show up about 5:30 am and wake up the neighbourhood. And fight and all that. Then all the mess on the ground below attracted rats, which are a new thing where we live, having never seen one in that 18 years of living here.

That was it for me. I quit feeding 'em.

roadtrip se
02-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Oh yeah, we have the neighbor's cats come a visiting on occassion, but they haven't been as successful as your beast it seems, Darcy. We have two Himalayan cats here in the house, so I don't understand people who let their cats run wild. I have taken a strategic pellet gun shot at the stalkers on occassion, so I don't see them as often as I used to, so maybe they got the message.

Woodpeckers are awesome to watch. We get about four varieties to our suet feeder. It's worth putting up the wire cage to see them. Your little guy was most likely a downy as they are pretty common. We have seen Woody, but only down at Cumberland. Birds are not boring.

Hey Roots, you ever do any pheasant or quail hunting down there? If she won't let those in the house, bring'em on over.

BUIZILLA
02-13-2006, 12:01 PM
The only *birdies* we get down here are someone's middle finger :nuke: :fire:

gold-n-rod
02-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I thought curling was just a sport invented as an excuse to drink?? I've been wrong all these years?? :bonk: :bonk:

25 years ago, I lived in a little northern village that had a naturally cooled curling club.

I had my own broom and shoe sliders, but no one owned their own stone. They were provided by the club. On my shelf today is a trophy I won for being on a champoinship team one year. The curling was fun and helped pass the long winter away, but it was the drinking and companionship that followed that kept everyone coming back week after week. :beer:

:wavey:

Lenny
02-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Randy, years ago we used to Curl, a few buddies and me, but it was an alcoholic event to say the least. It came quite naturally, as you start by trying to stand, take a couple steps forward, then fall down onto your knees, and all the while people "expect this" kind of behaviour.
It was all good until you had to actually talk to someone. Then it became apparent. :D My career at this only lasted a couple seasons.

On a side note Todd, Quail hunting is a bit dangerous these days, don't cha think ?

MrsDigger
03-08-2006, 11:39 AM
The Howard's backyard...

A raccoon has determined that my birdfeeders are a fine and dandy place for a free lunch. I caught the little beastie in the act last night, unfortunately couldn't get a picture of him. I use the spotlight we have for the boat, and I usually check the back yard for coon activity a couple of times a night...we've spotted the varmint several times, and an agile little fellow he is! He climbs the shepherd's hooks and tilts the birdfeeders until all the seed spills out onto the ground, then he gobbles it up! From the looks of him, mine isn't the only feeder he is raiding--he hasn't missed any meals lately!

And the birdfeeding drama continues...those pestilential blackbirds have now discovered the feeders, and they swarm them, chasing away all the cute little birds. Any ideas (other than superior firepower) on how to get rid of them?

Rootsy
03-08-2006, 11:54 AM
both can be cured very quietly by a nice pellet gun.. though the blackbirds will still be flockin long after you are pushin daisies or out of pellets... no pun intended... blackbirds are better dealt with by a repeating improved cylinder equipped non plugged 12 ga :biggrin:

friggin nothing worse than racoons, woodchuck, coyote and a big ole bushy tail fox squirrel that decides your attic will make a wonderful place to raise her young... :fire:

least get rid of mr racoon... but make sure you put it in the melon or he'll probably return after a short pause...

i have an uncle that lives in a suburb of cleveland.. of course no discharge of firearms allowed... for the last 10 or 12 years he's been keeping the squirrel population in check with onna those new fangled faster than hell pellet guns... they decimate his bird feeders and plug his gutters with crap...

Carl C
03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
You can't just kill all the animals. I'd suggest you just stop putting out food. Or at least get a paintball gun.:pizza:

Patti
03-08-2006, 08:12 PM
i tend to watch birdies too... cept it's generally through the scope and crosshairs :biggrin.: ... hey i get bored in the winter too... cept well this winter of course with a house and boat project :bonk: ... and bunny rabbits are scarce around this generaly area.. and well patti seems to frown on the thought of freshly skinned bunny in the skillet in "her" kitchen... :rolleyes:
Exactly..especially since i'm the only one who uses said kitchen http://www.smileys.ws/smls/action/00000037.gif