PDA

View Full Version : How do you get this out?

Flabby Baby
02-11-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm doing my first raw water pump replacement on an alpha 1 and I can't get the pump base out (picture attached). It seems to be stuck to the unit. Can anyone tell me how to get it out?

Also, I'm trying to figure out what year sterndrive I have. Can anyone tell me where to find the serial number or model number on the outdrive. I assume that with that information I can identify the model year.
Rafael

MOP
02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Serial number is on the upper gear case sticker, also on the engine sticker it will have the drive number.

Phil

Rootsy
02-11-2006, 09:30 PM
get a couple of decent sized regular screwdrivers.. one on each side and pry it up evenly... it has a rather large o-ring around the bottom and a seal on the inside.. if either of these leak so does drive oil... so they are pretty tight.. the o-ring in particular...

Flabby Baby
02-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Rootsy,

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to understand exactly how I can pry this out with two screw drivers. Would I be prying it out at the front and rear of the drive or on the sides. I still am not sure how I could get the screwdrivers into the side since the base is about a 1/4 inch inside the drive and there is very little room between the base and the drive to fit the screw drivers.

Am I making any sense?

Rafael

gcarter
02-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Serial number is on the upper gear case sticker, also on the engine sticker it will have the drive number.

Phil
It's also stamped in the casting UNDER the sticker.

Rootsy
02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Rootsy,
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to understand exactly how I can pry this out with two screw drivers. Would I be prying it out at the front and rear of the drive or on the sides. I still am not sure how I could get the screwdrivers into the side since the base is about a 1/4 inch inside the drive and there is very little room between the base and the drive to fit the screw drivers.
Am I making any sense?
Rafael

on either side in line with the vertical shaft... you can get a medium sized regular in the slot... not too far so that the screwdriver is vertical though... they'll dig into the plastic slightly and you'll have a nice lever... needs to come straight up and out of course therefore you need to pry evenly on each side at the same time...

am i making any sense???