PDA

View Full Version : 280 vs 290

onesubdrvr
02-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Does anyone have side shots of the Volvo 280 and 290 drives, I'm interesting in attempting to pick apart hydrodynamic differences.

Also, there are alot of donzi's running 280 and earlier drives, but seems to be fewer 290's why? Did Donzi move to Mercruiser drives then?

Thanks
Wayne

onesubdrvr
02-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks Matty,

'preciate the knowledge

Wayne

kjly63
02-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Matty,
Almost forgot how bad my Cig looked when I first got it............thanks:shocking:
This shot of the drive is a little better

onesubdrvr
02-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Kenny
you missed a spot ;) :) :p !!!!!
Matty,

Is it me, or is there weeds hanging from the drive infront of the prop?

SWEET lookin boat!!

Wayne

boatnut
02-10-2006, 09:04 PM
In the early to mid 70's I was racing in the production offshore class. At this time the volvo drives (mainly 270's and 280's) were the fastest outdrives available for the production classes (you couldn't use special lower units etc.). The best all around production race boat then was a 27' Magnum with twin Volvos--the 28' Cigarrette was also good. At this time the Mercruiser lower units were considered clubs and they were slower than the Volvos. About '75 Mercruiser came out with the Tempest package that had a SBC and a TRS drive. This was really a race motivated package that Mercury offered as a production unit and quickly sold the number needed to be able to race them in the APBA offshore production class. When they were first raced (in a Florida boat "Beep Beep" and in a 28' Scarab from California --prior to Wellcraft buying Scarab) there were succesful challenges from Volvo boat owners/racers because the Tempests were entered in production class boats prior to being sold to the public. Once the TRS drives were able to be raced in the production classes the Volvo boats were history. And, as we all know, someone buying a performance boat wants to buy the performance drive.

boatnut
02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Boatnut,
some great info there, just curious what were they running in the non production classes at that time, volvo with e drives??? or something else
got any pics or old racing stories that would be awesome ;)

The classes were structured differently then compared to todays structure.
Boats that were not limited to pure production rules used many options and depending on the class could extensively modify engines and drives. Non-production boats included many drives with lower unit mods including Volvo's speedmaster units (E). Drives from Mercury racing were also used. And of course there were V-drives boats -- especially on the west coast. One boat even had surface props (through the transom) prior to Howard Arneson's product. Even a few jet boats were entered but they were a dismal failure as they lost forward thrust when they got a little airborne. I am about to leave town but someday if I can find some of the old pics I will post a few.