PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on trailer for Donzi 28ZX

briangmr
02-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2000 Donzi 28ZX, my first boat, and have a question about the trailer. I've been told by other boaters that my trailer (an aluminum Fastload that's rated for the weight of the boat) may be too short for this boat (leading to a permanent bowing of the hull). This is a stepped hull and it seems to snug right into the bunks perfectly. My first question is how do I determine the right bunk length and second what trailers should I be looking at and which ones should I avoid. From the pictures below, does the trailer look short to you guys as well?

Thanks.

-Brian

Donzigo
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
First, welcome to the board! Be forgiving to us, cuz, it's like a family, which means you don't always hear what you want to hear; but, it's usually good advice, just the same.

From your pictures, it looks pretty good.

One of the rules of thumb is for the bunks to reach back to the back of the transom, since that's where all of your weight is. The boat should also be resting on the bunks with the flat part of the chines sitting squarely on the bunks. There should only be a slight tongue weight at the vehicle. Be sure that the front of your boat is tied down to the bottom of the trailer. This will prevent bouncing. Just chinched up to the crank won't prevent this on the heavier boats. Remember to trailer your boat with the cover OFF. A cover going down the road blowing and twisting at high speeds will wear the gelcoat right off where it touches the boat.

Good luck. It's a good looking boat. You have something to be proud of.

Richard (Donzigo)

briangmr
02-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Richard,

Thanks for the welcome and the information. From the posts that I've read thus far it's obvious that there are some very knowledgeable people here. My skin's pretty thick and I don't ask for advice unless I want to hear it. Just be patient with me if some of my questions seem a bit naive (this is my first boat after all).

Thanks again.

-Brian

Dr. Dan
02-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Exactly what Richard said , plus Transom Tie Downs and again an emergency Tie Down or Strap that completey Cranks that Bow Down to the Trailer, you want the Trailer and the Boat to move as one unit, not bounce into each other at every bump. Invest in at least one spare, 2 if ya tow alot or longer distances...I would say over 4 to 5 hours is kinda in there, but I have two anyway, so I am biased. :spongebob

I love that color of 28ZX....really sharp boat.

Its also difficult due to lighting to see how far back the Transom and the Bunks are, ya need a profile shot ...looking at the Transom, with the Flash on!

Keep us posted, and we'll see ya at some Events.

Again Welcome Brian & Nicole !!!
Doc of the Bay :beer:
www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com

Schnook
02-09-2006, 05:38 AM
That's a beautiful boat, welcome. I'm a new boater, too, and I've got a ding in my bow because the schmuck who sold me the boat told me it was heavy enough that I didn't need tie downs, so listen to what these guys have to say. I got some boat buckle stainless steel tiedowns from boaters world. They sell them in pairs for the transom and single for the bow. They mount permanently to the trailer, which is convenient, and are pretty heavy duty.

BUIZILLA
02-09-2006, 07:58 AM
IMO, the trailer looks to be about 2' too short....

then again, what do I know?? :umbrella:

welcome to the board, I luv that color combo as well, especially on a ZXO..

Jim

Donzigo
02-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Buizilla,

I didn't look at the aluminuim. I agree with you. That trailer is too short. The bunks extend far beyond the trailer. I wouldn't be comfortable on a long trip. If I lived within a few miles of the water, perhaps I'd chance it. I wonder if this trailer is new........can't imagine a manufacturer building it that way.

need for speed
02-09-2006, 08:11 AM
You might be able to move the bow stop up some more ,it looks like... but make sure tongue weight does n;t get to bad.. that might work and save u a trailer bill...

fasttrucker
02-09-2006, 04:43 PM
What is the weight rating for your trailer? I have a 98 28zx and i just bought a triple axle 10,000# nextrail.Good luck.

undertaker
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Great looking boat:hyper: I also owned a 2000 28ZX and loved the boat, you made a good decision for your first boat purchase. :D I agree with everyones comments looks to short. IMO a good quality trailer is just as important as a good quality boat (28ZX) do not settle for a sub part trailer that is going to be supporting and hauling your great boat. :D Good luck with your new ride and welcome to the sickness:D :D :D

Undertaker:eek:

joseph m. hahnl
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Looks good to me : fulcrum point on the boat is right over the axles. transom is supported by the bunks. they only make aluminum I beams so long. If the trailer is rated for that size boat and the the boat is no more than 90% of the rated trailer wait you should be good to go.

If the trailer is not rated for you boat by size and weight you should have no trouble selling it. "As used trailers are very scarce especially in mint condition. Oh yah: Nice ride. Bring an extra pair of undies you first time out:rlol:

joe

BUIZILLA
02-09-2006, 06:12 PM
What is the weight rating for a 10,000# trailer? I have a 98 28zx and i just bought a triple axle 10,000# nextrail.here's your sign.... :banghead:

briangmr
02-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words on the boat. She is a beaut and I can't wait to get her wet!

Undertaker - The sickness has definitely already set in and I haven't even hit the water yet! Hope the tax man's good to me this year, because West Marine is getting alot of my dough! :bonk:

If the trailer's got to go, who are some decent trailer builders? I'd prefer aluminum as I'm near the limit of my tow vehicle with boat itself (within about 500 lbs) and I might dunk her in the Pacific every now and then. Also, what would a used trailer like mine sell for?

Thanks!

-Brian

Dr. Dan
02-10-2006, 06:18 AM
here's your sign.... :banghead:

:bighug: It's good to be back ...:bighug:

Well There Ya Have it?

Doc:smash:

fasttrucker
02-11-2006, 07:18 PM
What is the weight rating for a 10,000# trailer? I have a 98 28zx and i just bought a triple axle 10,000# nextrail.Good luck.
................I meant, what I mean is what is the weight rating on your trailer?
You should go up to a 10,000# rating,thats what I did, sorry about the confussing way I posted:rlol: