PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Help!!!!!!

Scott Heidt
02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey guys,

I need help!

1981 Hornet II 20'
New 502 Approx 500 HP
TRS Drive and Transmission

My TRS transmission is toast don't think rebuilding it is an option, but I am not a mechanic. My mechanic is sending me photos of the transmission. I will post. Plus with the new engine and additional horsepower a rebuilt TRS transmission probably would not fit the bill. I need options and resources please.

I was thinking that a BorgWarner 71 or 72 might work. I have no idea where to get one or even if I am on the train of thought. I guess another option would be to glass the transom and get a new drive that doesn't require a transmission.

Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Scott

mrfixxall
02-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I have one forsale,,,its a velvit drive..will fit fyour application and its rated for 750 hp...topdog bronze clutches motified pump and the pick up tube was relocated to the back of the trans so the oil dont suck air whyle flying and pounding the waves......750.00 plus shipping

Scott Heidt
02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
What is the gear ratio and model number? How many hours on it? Original or rebuilt? Please send any pictures to Gatorone30@hotmail.com. I went on the Velvet Drive Site and will read up on them. I need a bit of time to educate myself on transmissions.

BUIZILLA
02-07-2006, 12:17 PM
you have to relocate your front engine mounts, get another oil cooler, and oil lines, change the shifter cable and bracket to change to a BW from a MercTrans... I used TNT to do mine and Cuda had a guy in Deland do his, i'd get your original tranny done right, and use it.

JH

Cuda
02-07-2006, 07:11 PM
There are quite a few things that you have to change to go to a BW. I take it your's is a Merc II tranny. There are a couple things they do to beef them up in a rebuild. Additional clutch plate, and clearancing the output shaft or something.

ChromeGorilla
02-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Hehehehe....you guys said tranny...... hehehe:biggrin:

mrfixxall
02-07-2006, 11:05 PM
you have to relocate your front engine mounts, get another oil cooler, and oil lines, change the shifter cable and bracket to change to a BW from a MercTrans... I used TNT to do mine and Cuda had a guy in Deland do his, i'd get your original tranny done right, and use it.
JH

buiz i think i got it all covered,trans,both coolers, the bracket for the morse shift cable,beelhousing and starter (top mount)...:rlol:

MR MAGOO
02-08-2006, 06:48 AM
That a good price for the BW but it's a Speedmaster tailstock that would also require front and rear engine mounts or a transmission mount. A TRS Borg Warner has the rear mount built onto the tailstock.

I agree with the others, get your MercTrans rebuilt by a reputable outfit. (It's a very simple tranny with Ford internals) I'd suggest BAM in Pompano.

BUIZILLA
02-08-2006, 06:49 AM
I'm sure Cuda, I mean Debbie, can appreciate that top mount starter... :lookaroun

that's a helluva deal for $750, if all that's included in the sale you proposed.

JH

mrfixxall
02-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Mr magoo,,,your correct its from a ssm#4

Buiz,,I offered him the rest of the stuff i have for extra$$$$$..

MIKe

MR MAGOO
02-08-2006, 12:08 PM
To clarify even further. mr fixxall's tranny will work and the easiest way would be to swap the plug-in style tailstock to a TRS tailstock. It's really no big deal, just remove the allen bolts and swap them.

Here's a pic of a BW with the TRS tail mount.

MR MAGOO
02-08-2006, 12:22 PM
If you take a close look and compare the TRS Borg Warner to the Speedmaster BW 72C, you'll notice that the BW equipped with a TRS tailstock will move the motor forward about 3-4" over the short Speedmaster plug-in style tailstock.

Just thinking here...if someone was looking to upgrade from the old MercTrans and there was mimimal room to move the motor forward, a good rugged alternative would be to bolt up a Speedmaster tailstock to a Borg Warner 71C as it's about 1" shorter than the 72C. I think in the end it would be almost 4" shorter than a the BW 72C with a TRS mount. You'd just have to mount the motor front and rear like a Speedmaster installation.

Kurt

Scott Heidt
02-08-2006, 12:30 PM
The clearances are going to be critical. I will have to have my mechanic verify that I have the room.

Plus, I might need to take the boat to someone who specializes in this type of work. The last thing I want to do is go down a path that is going to cost me alot of money and not work in the end.

This option would be alot cheaper than going to a Bravo XR drive package. :)

Oh by the way I have a hydraulic steering set up that is routed for left hand steering.

Keep the ideas comming. I am learning more by the minute.

Scott

MR MAGOO
02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
A properly set-up TRS is a MUCH more reliable package than a Bravo.

Merc did not discontinue the TRS because of problems, it was discontinued because it was expensive.

Kurt